Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€60 (Spain) vs €100 (Ireland) for White Dental Filling

• 28-07-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone, my first post here.

I will be going on vacation in southern Spain in August. I decided to make inquiries here because I need 3 white porcelain fillings. I knew it would be more expensive here so I decided to google search dentists in my holiday location. After making email inquiries and phone calls, it turns out there is a MASSIVE difference in prices between Ireland and Spain.

I received a competitive quote of €60 in Spain. This contrasts with the €100 quote I got in Galway. Okay, Irish Dentists claim that they spent significant money to become a Dentist. The truth is that most of their education fees were paid by our government.

I recommend all Irish people to avoid Irish Dentists and go abroad for Dental treatment - in Europe it is cheaper. Ireland is in need of structural reforms to these private sector professions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So if you experience problems, you gonna fly back to Spain for follow up treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SavvyConsumer

Savman wrote: »
    So if you experience problems, you gonna fly back to Spain for follow up treatment?

What makes you think an Irish Dentist's quality is superior in Ireland?

Same qualification, same experience, an EU standard in Spain.

I know many Dentists are posting here to justify their monopoly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Unless you got the holiday for less than 40 quid then you're not seeing much of a saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Quality has nothing to do with it. The cost of rates, insurance, rent / premises, staff etc etc etc does.

Unless you got the holiday for less than 40 quid then you're not seeing much of a saving.

Please read the first paragraph - I am going on vacation. I am NOT going specifically for dental treatment. I have simply allocated it within my holiday schedule while in Spain. Hence no extra costs.

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote: »
    Quality has nothing to do with it. The cost of rates, insurance, rent / premises, staff etc etc etc does.

That's not the customers problem. It's up to the Dentist to keep their costs low - not to pass it onto the customer. Try being more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

So, if there's a problem are you going to go to Spain again? Or go to Galway? All things being equal, are you happy to take the chance you might have to travel for a repair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Please read the first paragraph - I am going on vacation. I am NOT going specifically for dental treatment. I have simply allocated it within my holiday schedule while in Spain. Hence no extra costs.
    Hmmm, yes yes, I see. Very interesting. You may as well start a thread saying "€3 (Spain) vs €5 (Ireland) for a pint", 'hey everyone I recommend all people avoid Irish pubs and go abroad for beer instead'.

The point is you still have to go on vacation to avail of the "saving".

So, should I wish to go and have treatment in Spain, how much will it cost me, because it's clearly not just €60.

mitosis wrote: »
    So, if there's a problem are you going to go to Spain again? Or go to Galway? All things being equal, are you happy to take the chance you might have to travel for a repair?

Same qualification, same experience, same EU standards in Spain.

Are you thick or something?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, yes yes, I see. Very interesting. You may as well start a thread saying "€3 (Spain) vs €5 (Ireland) for a pint", 'hey everyone I recommend all people avoid Irish pubs and go abroad for beer instead'.

The point is you still have to go on vacation to avail of the "saving".

So, should I wish to go and have treatment in Spain, how much will it cost me, because it's clearly not just €60.

And as well as that the costs are largely determined by local market conditions. The OP seems to think that it's a case of being more competitive. Try telling that to the local county council when they come looking for rates or the ESB when they need to be paid.

And as well as that the costs are largely determined by local market conditions. The OP seems to think that it's a case of being more competitive. Try telling that to the local county council when they come looking for rates or the ESB when they need to be paid.

LOL. Commercial rates can be appealed and lowered. For electricity prices, you can't be bothered to do research on the cheapest electricity rates???

Same of the lamest excuses so far, all with the same self-righteous beliefs. It's called greed.

Try being more competitive.

LOL. Commercial rates can be appealed and lowered. For electricity prices, you can't be bothered to do research on the cheapest electricity rates???

Same of the lamest excuses so far, all with the same self-righteous beliefs. It's called greed.

So based on your lack of analysis of the dentistry market you have already determined that dentists should "Try being more competitive" without trying to understand what the underlying costs are. You've also made another sweeping statement stating that all dentists are greedy. Anyhow, why would a dentist in Dublin need to compete with a dentist in Spain???

Big LOL at you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What are the commercial rates and electricity costs in Spain relative to here?

stepbar,
    Your replies indicate a distinct lack of comprehension of competition, leaving you with a rhetorical hazard, one of which I refrain from taking any further advantage.

stepbar,
    Your replies indicate a distinct lack of comprehension of competition, leaving you with a rhetorical hazard, one of which I refrain from taking any further advantage.

LOL again.

Answer me this? Why would a dentist in Dublin need (just in case you missed it the first time) to compete with one in Spain? Why????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Every time i go for a dental repair (and there has been lots :rolleyes: I still have to pay full whack again in Ireland) I spend a lot of time in Spain and the price of everything there is a lot cheaper then here. Rip off Ireland is still alive and well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think dentists here try to put the frighteners on people when some of them say that they won't fix any problems when the offending work was carried out abroad, as if implying that Irish dentists are the greatest dentists on earth. They might cost the earth, but that's as far as the connection with "earth" goes. They're no better or worse than any other dentists, in Europe at least.

Not all Irish dentists are as good as they make themselves out to be. I dealt with one here a few years ago who was less than useless, and I didn't need any dental qualifications to realise how useless he was.

There seems to be an attitude in Ireland that the more expensive something is, the better it is, which is pure bunkum.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So, if there's a problem are you going to go to Spain Oagain? Or go to Galway? All things being equal, are you happy to take the chance you might have to travel for a repair?

Any chance of answering the question that was posed ?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think dentists here try to put the frighteners on people when some of them say that they won't fix any problems when the offending work was carried out abroad

I'm not sure whether that is illegal under the current system and a Dentist risks being struck off the register for doing that. It only takes a phone call to report it to the Dental authority. That will be worth noting to the Troika also.

Besides, one could just simply say they got the filling in another Irish dentist - it's not like they can prove you got treated abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I would say a days holidays is worth about 100 euro at the least and a lot more to me in relaxation/family time currency, to spend that day having dental treatment is pure stupid. I value my holidays and want to relax. Also a good proportion of fillings need adjustment afterwards, your going to end up paying a dentist in galway for that, where as the treating dentist would do it for free.

Also with my dentist hat on, its never a good idea to have complex multi step advanced dental work away from home, dental work and time constraints don't work well together. Plenty of threads in dental issues about that.
    I think dentists here try to put the frighteners on people when some of them say that they won't fix any problems when the offending work was carried out abroad,

Irish dentist will fix work done abroad and have never said they won't please stop making thing up to suit your view, just they will charge you and the more work you have had done the more they will charge you. A builder coming in to fix a botch job will put a premium on the job because its a total PITA and would have been much easier previously.
    There seems to be an attitude in Ireland that the more expensive something is, the better it is, which is pure bunkum.

There is a attitude in ireland that the cheaper something is the better it is, which is pure bunkum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Also a good proportion of fillings need adjustment afterwards, your going to end up paying a dentist in galway for that, where as the treating dentist would do it for free.

Not really interested in the rest of the thread but this line caught my eye. What constitutes "a good proportion"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Average industrial wage spain = €19,500
    Average Industrial wage Ireland = €32,500
    (figures from eurostat)

% of weekly wage needed for three fillings

Spanish worker = 16%
    Irish Worker = 16%

Based on like for like, prices are identical in both countries as both nationalities need to spend 16% of their gross average industrial wage on the service.

Or to help make Irish prices identical to spain will the OP and all the other naysayers take a 40% cut in their wages (60% cut in social welfare payments) so that we can have identical retail & service prices to spain?

Methinks not.

As for spending a day of your holiday to save a few quid on filling and have issues with language and possibly need to get taxi to/from - not for €200 saving would I do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

sandin wrote: »
    Average industrial wage spain = €19,500
    Average Industrial wage Ireland = €32,500
    (figures from eurostat)

% of weekly wage needed for three fillings

Spanish worker = 16%
    Irish Worker = 16%

Based on like for like, prices are identical in both countries as both nationalities need to spend 16% of their gross average industrial wage on the service.
    Brilliant logic. Except that sometimes people who dont earn 32 grand a year need fillings too. And of course most of those earning 100k+ a year have dental insurance.

I spend a lot of time in France and have my dental work done there at a fraction of the cost. People should definitely look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

There may be a difference, but it seems unfair to classify it as a ripoff when the cost base in Ireland is significantly higher.

I would say a days holidays is worth about 100 euro at the least and a lot more to me in relaxation/family time currency, to spend that day having dental treatment is pure stupid. I value my holidays and want to relax. Also a good proportion of fillings need adjustment afterwards, your going to end up paying a dentist in galway for that, where as the treating dentist would do it for free.

Also with my dentist hat on, its never a good idea to have complex multi step advanced dental work away from home, dental work and time constraints don't work well together. Plenty of threads in dental issues about that.

Irish dentist will fix work done abroad and have never said they won't please stop making thing up to suit your view, just they will charge you and the more work you have had done the more they will charge you. A builder coming in to fix a botch job will put a premium on the job because its a total PITA and would have been much easier previously.

I distinctly remember reading an online article some time ago, in which Irish dentists were making noises about refusing to fix problems resulting from dental work overseas. Perhaps this was only a threat to sow doubt in the minds of anyone considering going abroad to have work done?

On reflection, I think it hardly likely that a dentist would refuse to treat a “cash-cow with a problem” turning up in the surgery. Perhaps some hard-up individual would be refused?

There is a attitude in ireland that the cheaper something is the better it is, which is pure bunkum.

You know that's not right, but you've got to say that, given the fora that you moderate, and the fact that you are the proud owner of a dentist's hat.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Please cite a single case of a Dentists posted in here to back your claim

But Irish Dentists do not have the option of using a Spanish Electrical utility company, they can only pick an supplier in Ireland. How do you know that are not already using the cheapest supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I find this thread quite funny... If it was €40 cheaper to get the filling in Dublin instead of Galway I'd still get it done in Galway... Never mind Spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Go live in Spain then.

Dentists can charge what they like, you can travel to anywhere in the EU, its an open market.

Same as here really .. people go to Belgium for certain goods and services that are cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I will be going on vacation in southern Spain in August. I decided to make inquiries here because I need 3 white porcelain fillings. I knew it would be more expensive here so I decided to google search dentists in my holiday location. After making email inquiries and phone calls, it turns out there is a MASSIVE difference in prices between Ireland and Spain.

I received a competitive quote of €60 in Spain. This contrasts with the €100 quote I got in Galway. Okay, Irish Dentists claim that they spent significant money to become a Dentist. The truth is that most of their education fees were paid by our government.

I recommend all Irish people to avoid Irish Dentists and go abroad for Dental treatment - in Europe it is cheaper. Ireland is in need of structural reforms to these private sector professions.

Welcome back Skopzz, we missed you.

You were not quoted for white porcelain fillings, you were quoted for composite fillings, it's important to know what you are trying to buy when comparing prices.

Yes most of student fees are paid by the Government/taxpayer but a lot of us were educated before third level fees were lowered and we qualified with enormous loans. I'm pretty sure most dentists have repaid the Taxpayer's investment in their education many times over in taxes paid.

You cannot structurally reform private sector professions, they are private and subject to market dynamics, the Government cannot dictate what is charged any more than they can dictate what a manufacturing company charges for its produce.

The Troika has more pressing problems than what Irish dentists are charging.

Though the EU is a common market, economic conditions are different in all.

Did you know Spain is the most expensive country in Europe to visit a Doctor?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Kat1170

LOL again.

Answer me this? Why would a dentist in Dublin need (just in case you missed it the first time) to compete with one in Spain? Why????

Eh, to stop his/her customers going there for treatment. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kat1170 wrote: »

What percentage of patients do you think a dentist loses to dental tourism? Think tiny. Whereas if prices are lowered to entice this tiny percentage to stay put, the dentist loses a huge amount of money which other patients are satisfied to pay. Dream on.

davo10 wrote: »
    What percentage of patients do you think a dentist loses to dental tourism? Think tiny. Whereas if prices are lowered to entice this tiny percentage to stay put, the dentist loses a huge amount of money which other patients are satisfied to pay. Dream on.

Typical head in the sand siht that businesses here have spouted for years. EVERY customer that travels outside the country hurts someones business somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

davo10 wrote: »
    Welcome back Skopzz, we missed you.

:D:D That is exactly what I thought when I read the opening post.

Your replies indicate a distinct lack of comprehension of competition, leaving you with a rhetorical hazard, one of which I refrain from taking any further advantage

And confirmed my opinion when I read this ^^^. Just his style:D

Kat it's a commonly held misconception that if a business lowers prices, they will get more customers and therefore more profit.

If you lower prices, the cost of providing the service remains constant and on the case of dentists more materials would be required. Therefore you have potentially an increase in cost treating potentially increased numbers at lower fees. And all the while, the patients who would come anyway are charged less. Great business plan there.

• Advertisement

Typical head in the sand siht that businesses here have spouted for years. EVERY customer that travels outside the country hurts someones business somewhere.

Not mine, I do a nice line is repairing botched holiday dental jobs, it's a good few years since this crap became stylish in Ireland ( yes during the boom, it's less popular now cause it was mostly lent money that paid for this stuff) and its falling apart in the most hideous ways,great for me, not so hot for the patients who took out loans to do it first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CiaranC wrote: »
    Brilliant logic. Except that sometimes people who dont earn 32 grand a year need fillings too. And of course most of those earning 100k+ a year have dental insurance.

Thats why its called an AVERAGE. There are people who earn less than that as well as more, both here and in Spain. There are plenty of Spanish people on less than €19k that need fillings. It's a perfectly valid explanation.

If they both cost 16% of the average industrial wage then the cost to anyone at any point in the payscale in Ireland or Spain is the same.

I'm not sure whether that is illegal under the current system and a Dentist risks being struck off the register for doing that. It only takes a phone call to report it to the Dental authority. That will be worth noting to the Troika also.

Besides, one could just simply say they got the filling in another Irish dentist - it's not like they can prove you got treated abroad.

Skoppz if you were a savvy consumer you would know that no service provider is required by law to fix a problem which has occurred with a service provided by another business. The consumer does however have rights to request the original provider to make good on any problems which do occur if the work was not of the quality expected. In other words, the only clinic required to fix the work is the clinic who provided it be they Irish or foreign, no one else.

Not mine, I do a nice line is repairing botched holiday dental jobs, it's a good few years since this crap became stylish in Ireland ( yes during the boom, it's less popular now cause it was mostly lent money that paid for this stuff) and its falling apart in the most hideous ways,great for me, not so hot for the patients who took out loans to do it first time.

This reminds me of what I said earlier about dentists trying to put the frighteners on people.:P

This reminds me of what I said earlier about dentists trying to put the frighteners on people.:P

A specialist like Fitzgeme can easily remove the prosthesis placed on a failed implant, surgically remove the implant, the bone is allowed to heal then he places a new implant and restores it with a crown. All at the patient's expense, but he will always advise the patient to contact the clinic who first placed it, so the patient can get their opinion. If it has to redone abroad, which the clinics are not often enthusiastic about, the patient pays the travel costs.

Google: Tibor dental, high court. This should enlighten you.

• Advertisement

What you said was dentist won't fix it, that's just you making stuff up to suit your opinion, this is me warning people form my experience ( and well documented with evidence on the dental issues forum), two different things. :P

What you said was dentist won't fix it, that's just you making stuff up to suit your opinion, this is me warning people form my experience ( and well documented with evidence on the dental issues forum), two different things. :P

I beg to differ, I'm making nothing up.:P

...anyway, I see various Polish and Hungarian dentists are setting up shop in Ireland, I wonder how competitive they are, and what you think of their skill levels?

I beg to differ, I'm making nothing up.:P

...anyway, I see various Polish and Hungarian dentists are setting up shop in Ireland, I wonder how competitive they are, and what you think of their skill levels?

I suppose dentists think as much about them as they do any other clinic which sets up, not at all. They are just another fish in the pond.

Did you google Tibor, they have a clinic in Cork and Dublin. Interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you thick or something?

@stepbar - That is not an acceptable level of posting. Please post constructively.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Seriously €100 is common enough for a white composite filling but it can be done cheaper.

I got 2 composite white fillings in Smiles dental last week for €70 each. Good work carried out by them. I dont think all dentists charge €100 and its a matter of buyer beware. Alway shop around.

I think Spain at €60 a filling is a stupid idea to be honest. Cost of plane, accomodation, potential aftercare if something goes wrong.

www.smiles.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Well, Skopzz, I believe in shopping around. Only a "stupid consumer" would jump at the first price offered, whereas a "savvy consumer" would possibly check out more than one place locally to get a quote.

Sure even a minute's search online brings quotes from €50 with no baggage or airport fees and you could even get it done on your way to spain as this dentist is based in Ennis!

http://www.burrendental.ie/prices/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I wouldn't fly with dental work, its a bit of a gamble.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thomas-p-connelly-dds/tootaches-on-airplanes_b_873780.html

Once had an issue when I went diving a few weeks after a filling, pain was bloody awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I received a competitive quote of €60 in Spain. This contrasts with the €100 quote I got in Galway.

Everything is cheaper in Spain and wages and social welfare are lower.... I really don't know why you are surprised that a filling is lower too...! And by the way, its likely to be a composite filling, not a porcelain filling. Also these fillings are usually charged by the size of the filling, so if big your €60 may increase...
    Okay, Irish Dentists claim that they spent significant money to become a Dentist. The truth is that most of their education fees were paid by our government.

We don't usually talk about our training in this way... Some dentists funded themselves if before the free education schemes. Some did dentistry as a post grad and had to pay themselves. I did avail of the free fees but because of my 5 years undergrad and 3 years postgrad I have 8 years of income to make up..... I also pay my tax, so the government is doing ok....
    Whats expensive is the cost of running our clinics, rent, rates, wages, materials, waste, light, heat...........
    I recommend all Irish people to avoid Irish Dentists and go abroad for Dental treatment - in Europe it is cheaper.

You have not yet availed of this amazing but cheap professional service but are recommending that everyone avoid Irish dentists and go abroad...!! SavvyConsumer- you are a fool.

Ireland is in need of structural reforms to these private sector professions.

Why? Do the government butt in and tell an accountant how much he/she can charge?? or a car salesman or a plumber. It is a free market....

Numpty :rolleyes:

Numpty :rolleyes:

sorry, I can't dumb it down any more for you :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement