Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a music production computer

Options
  • 28-07-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I hope someone could help me out here...

I am currently running an old enough computer for recording and producing music. Because of all the plugins I use, I'm starting to get stuttering and digital artifacting (pops and clicks). It's not too bad, but it's beginning to annoy me and holding me back in terms of how much processing of audio I can do.

So I'm wondering if you have any advice for upgrades. Currently it's running XP 32 bit on:

Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R mobo
    DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
    3326 MB DDR2 Ram (2x OCZ XTC Platinum Rev.2 OCZ2P800R21G, 2x Kingston HyperX KHX6400D2LL/1GN)

Looking at the specs of that motherboard it looks like it can handle up to Core2Extreme CPUs an up to 8GB of ram. Will upgrading the CPU give much of a performance upgrade, or will XP's inability to use more than 3.25GBs of ram hold it back? Should I make the jump to XP or Windows 7 64 bit?

Also, if I install a new CPU, will I have to reformat and reinstall windows again if I don't upgrade my OS?

Cheers and hope you can help.

Comments

Advertisement