Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for dog grooming?

• 28-07-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all!
    My dog is a border collie/cocker spaniel mix and she's always running around the back garden (at headaching speeds!)

She tends to get knotty alot - especially her chest area and she hates being brushed. Should I be washing her more or what?

Any tips on how to keep the knots at bay? I had to get her shaved before and wouldnt want to do it again. Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Could you get a grooming glove and rub her down every day? If you do it properly once then maybe maintenance would be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭killyourtv_

Whispered wrote: »
    Could you get a grooming glove and rub her down every day? If you do it properly once then maybe maintenance would be easier.

Great idea actually! Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Is it knots or a fine under coat forming felt from getting wet?

We have a dog that has a great coat where you can see it but underneath and the back side under a thick outer coat is a matted felted mess, about to have a go at it now.

I put one of these at the front end
    pigs_ear.jpg

Then go to work on the back end with one of these "A Knife Comb"
    clipper-knife-grooming-dog-1-Gallay.jpg

the fingers of the comb are sharpend like knife blades so you get them stuck into a tangle and it both cuts through and pulls out the felt. Still a massive job with our dog but only method that works and I wouldn't want to shave him.

The Pigs ear lasts about 10 minutes max and during that time I can pull away like mad but as soon as the pigs ear is finished he turns into a wimp and gets much more diffcult to comb.

Regular daily brushing helps a lot but ours gets wet everyday and thats what creates the felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I agree with eirator about the matt breaker. Just make sure you are shown how to use it properly when you are buying it.

Don't wash your dog while her fur is matted/knotted this will just make it worse and more painful for her as the matted fur will tighten each time and pull on her skin.

A slicker brush is a brilliant brush to use along side a matt breaker

826777__38838_zoom.jpg

Advertisement