Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-reading gone with the wind

Options
  • 28-07-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Has anyone on here read it?

I first read it when I was about 17, introduced to it plainly as a fan of the 1939 movie. It took me about 6 weeks to read and I remember being absolutely captivated. So I picked it up yesterday, I'm only about 150 pages in but I honestly think its a masterpiece. It almost reminds me of the hysteria surrounding Harry potter when you watch the footage of the movie premiere. Can you imagine seeing this book come to life for the first time?? It must have been astounding!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

It's one of the few hardback books I still own (wherever it's disappeared to - dust jacket long gone). My aunt gave it to me at age 12 and I read it over and over again. The movie never quite lived up to the book for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I LOVED this book, I think I've read it three times and will definitely read it again. There is a really great description of the hype that surrounded the book and the movie at the time that it was released in one of Rebecca Wells' Ya-Ya Sisterhood books, it might be the original Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I was a bit disappointed that the film cut out her children by the first two husbands and made her not as much of a hard-as$ b1tch. I love Melanie's birth scene when the yankee's are coming, and the descriptions of the clothes. Also find all the weird stuff about concealing pregnancy fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I remember reading it when I was 17, during Melanie's birth she described so vividly the sweltering heat, I actually felt like I was burning up myself just reading it! I had never read anything like it before.
    I'd love to go to the Margaret Mitchell house in Atlanta!

The movie is in my top three films of all time, but even I have to agree that it pales in comparison to the book. But they still did an amazing job and it was probably with good reason they cut out wade and Ella. It mightn't have flowed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Although Gone With The Wind is my favourite film of all time, I've never read the book. I must buy a copy soon.

Strangely enough though, I'm halfway through reading the sequel 'Scarlet'. Can't say the story is anywhere near as gripping as the Gone With The Wind, but I love the characters so much, I'll stick with it anyway.

Has anyone else read Scarlet and if so, what did you think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

No, I never read either of the sequels (there was another I think titled "Rhett Butler's People"). I didn't hear many good reviews of either, but then the original is a difficult book to live up to IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement