Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim card confusion

Options
  • 28-07-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

I lost a blackberry phone a few months ago which was on the 02 network but I was using a 087 network I never done anything about it ie blocked the number etc

Anyway I bought a phone of a mate today which is locked to the Vodafone network it didn't have a sim card in it but I have a old Vodafone sim card lying about the house that I put in thing is I don't know what number it is? I think it's the same number as my blackberry phone? How can I check this out? I'll just be using this number til Monday but I want to move to 48 go conquer . Anyone forsee any problems me moving to 48?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Send someone in your house a call me and see what number comes up :)

You need to unlock the Blackberry first to put in a different sim card, Vodafone will only give it to the original owner.....but I can give it to you for free if you wish :)
    BTW,48 don't support Blackberry services..yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

iDann wrote: »
    Send someone in your house a call me and see what number comes up :)

You need to unlock the Blackberry first to put in a different sim card, Vodafone will only give it to the original owner.....but I can give it to you for free if you wish :)
    BTW,48 don't support Blackberry services..yet.

The phone I have now is not a blackberry it's a Samsung SGH J700 i . It's a pretty old phone like hopefully it'll still work with 48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you could also ring vodafone and give them the sim number. assuming it's registered to you then they will tell you the phone number too.

Random wrote: »
    you could also ring vodafone and give them the sim number. assuming it's registered to you then they will tell you the phone number too.

Is there a Vodafone number that allows me to get talking to someone instead of listening to a automated computer speaking. Ive been one the phone and still can't find the option to get through to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

James__10 wrote: »
    I have a old Vodafone sim card lying about the house that I put in thing is I don't know what number it is?

The phone number is not hard wired into the SIMM, it's an association that's done on the Vodafone account management system. If you lose the phone you can get a new phone and SIMM and they will allocate the old number to the new SIMM, it's all done with s/w.

If the a/c was closed then there is no number associated with the SIMM and they have probably put the number back into their pool of unused numbers though I believe they don't reallocate the number to a new customer until after a cooling-off period.

If you put the chip into a mobile phone and it doesn't come up active then the SIMM is not associated with any number, the a/c is closed.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    I have a old Vodafone sim card lying about the house that I put in thing is I don't know what number it is?

The phone number is not hard wired into the SIMM, it's an association that's done on the Vodafone account management system. If you lose the phone you can get a new phone and SIMM and they will allocate the old number to the new SIMM, it's all done with s/w.

If the a/c was closed then there is no number associated with the SIMM and they have probably put the number back into their pool of unused numbers though I believe they don't reallocate the number to a new customer until after a cooling-off period.

If you put the chip into a mobile phone and it doesn't come up active then the SIMM is not associated with any number, the a/c is closed.
    How much will I be charged for buying a new Vodafone sim card but keeping my 087 number?

How much will I be charged for buying a new Vodafone sim card but keeping my 087 number?

I thought you said you didn't know the number previously allocated to that SIMM?

Depends on what type of package (billpay, PAYG) you go for. Your best bet is to call into a Vodafone shop, hope you get an intelligent person who isn't hell bent on making salesman of the year and who gives you honest advice but don't bank on being able to get the old number back, it might be still in quarantine. Bring the old SIMM but the chips themselves don't really cost anything, O2 give them free to corporate customers, I keep a couple of spares in the boot of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Sorry to be a pedant but...

SIMM = single in-line memory module, early computer memory.
    SIM = Subscriber Identity Module, thing you stick in your phone!

Back on topic... *#100# <send> used to return the number on most networks, not sure if it's in general use any more though.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Timfy wrote: »
    Back on topic... *#100# <send> used to return the number on most networks, not sure if it's in general use any more though.

Pedantry forgiven.

That code sequence will only work if he has an active n/w connection surely? I believe his SIMM is effectively dead so Vodafone won't talk to him and there is no number currently assigned to the a/c. The normal process I believe is that when the a/c is closed, the SIM is deactivated and the number is put in quarantine for some period so that's it's not immediately assigned to a new customer who then might get harassed by creditors or ex-girlfriends of the previous subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Very true... if it's no longer associated with an account, it won't be registered on the HLR. Best bet for the OP is to pop into a store and plead for a new SIM. The card costs nowt but you may be required to stick a tenners credit on it. It is very unlikely that, if the original number has been placed back in the pool that they will reissue it to you, but it's worth asking as the store will have a direct line to number allocations.
    Pedantry forgiven.

That code sequence will only work if he has an active n/w connection surely? I believe his SIMM is effectively dead so Vodafone won't talk to him and there is no number currently assigned to the a/c.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement

**** it I think I'll wait and get my 48 sim card and register it and use that. Is that possible ?

What's the attraction of 48? They seem to make a big deal about the free SIM but all of the networks effectively give the SIM away for free. You almost always get more credit than the cost of the initial transaction so if you pay €5 for a PAYG SIM for example, you'd typically get €10 credit when you register.

Who are we?

For those who are interested in where we have come from, we are independent but we are part of the overall Telefonica Digital family.

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/about-us

'but' being the operative word, we are independent but we're not really.

What's the attraction of 48? They seem to make a big deal about the free SIM but all of the networks effectively give the SIM away for free. You almost always get more credit than the cost of the initial transaction so if you pay €5 for a PAYG SIM for example, you'd typically get €10 credit when you register.

Who are we?

For those who are interested in where we have come from, we are independent but we are part of the overall Telefonica Digital family.

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/about-us

'but' being the operative word, we are independent but we're not really.

Ah **** that I'll just go into the vodafone shop tomorrow and buy a vodafone sim card? Could I get a free Vodafone sim card then just top it up by a 5r

Ah **** that I'll just go into the vodafone shop tomorrow and buy a vodafone sim card? Could I get a free Vodafone sim card then just top it up by a 5r

Yes, see the current offers here....

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/sim-only/

Advertisement