Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing? (July/August 2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mainly Civ V Gods and Kings, but also a fair bit of DayZ and I fixed my Skyrim install, so doubtless I'll get back into that too. Shogun 2 taking a few hours here and there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Playing back through Borderlands again, finished the main story the last time but never the add-on's so going to to that this time.

Was thinking of getting Saints Row 3 or Borderlands again. Think I'll get Borderlands again like you to complete the DLC's. Is it still as good as I remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting Saints Row 3 or Borderlands again. Think I'll get Borderlands again like you to complete the DLC's. Is it still as good as I remember it?

Yup, i started a NG+ rather than continue on with the DLC i had barely started, so going back through the story again but started on Level 34. Nearly at 50 now. I think that might be the cap though. It's actually alot more fun this time through, as i'm able to carve through most enemies. That was one minor complaint i had about the first playthrough, it was a grind sometimes, but not this time.

Plus, SR3 sucks balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ffs I can't stop playing tropico 4. Was forcing myself to go off it as I needed to be a sleep 1h ago...

Ya Monke, picked up Borderlands a while a go. Downloaded all DLC I had grom my previous GOTY edition. One of them raised the cap to 61 I believe?

Anyway, thinking of starting a 2nd play through and even venturing online this time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Playing BF3 atm with my friend. We're thinking of getting Dead Island on Saturday. Any of you guys have it? What did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya Monke, picked up Borderlands a while a go. Downloaded all DLC I had grom my previous GOTY edition. One of them raised the cap to 61 I believe?

Anyway, thinking of starting a 2nd play through and even venturing online this time!

if you can bear with the unbelievably crappy looting system in multiplayer, it's worth a shot.

I really hope they have fixed that in BL2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Playing BF3 atm with my friend. We're thinking of getting Dead Island on Saturday. Any of you guys have it? What did you think?

its a summer movie type of the game. i got it on steam for pennies, but i would not had payed full price for it. i really enjoyed beginning when you were playing as survivor in tourist island, but after 50% in to the game in starts to go down hill. it becomes a chore and not fun at all. for the last 50% i had to force myself to finish it.
    very little variation in enemies start to make it very dull. its a zombie game, not many much variaty in the lol.
    Still, i played worse games, its still fun while it lasts, but its not worth big price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

its a summer movie type of the game. i got it on steam for pennies, but i would not had payed full price for it. i really enjoyed beginning when you were playing as survivor in tourist island, but after 50% in to the game in starts to go down hill. it becomes a chore and not fun at all. for the last 50% i had to force myself to finish it.
    very little variation in enemies start to make it very dull. its a zombie game, not many much variaty in the lol.
    Still, i played worse games, its still fun while it lasts, but its not worth big price tag.

I have to disagree slightly, it was one of the best games i played this year and well worth the full price i paid for it. This is a very divided game though, it's half and half with love/hate. I thought it was a refreshing take on the zombie genre, the rpg elements were just right. I agree the variation of enemies was a bit stale after a while, but i never got tired of killing them! Sewer levels were very good too, some genuinely pant-soiling moments for me.

If you can pick it up cheap enough, which i believe you can now, i definitely would.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Currently playing diablo 3 and civ 4, bought D3 late and with all the bad reviews was thinking i would not love it as much as D2 but i think its fantastic! What an amazing game, got a high level WD, working on the barb, all self found items, so much variation and play styles to test out, civ 4 is great too, just not quite as great as D3 at the moment anyways

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

skyrim - currently playing the story line now ha keep getting dragged away to side quests

dark souls - still trying to complete it, rang the first bell in the church up top, stuck after that dont know where to go , i know i have to go down to the dark, but no idea what way to go their i either run into ghosts who are too good and kill me when they grab me straight away, or into to high lvl monters.

bf3 - just for abit of mp fun

dead space 2 - only got it yesterday, so far loving it, ****tin me self though

looking for a new game tobuy during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Dug deep into the pile today and came up with ..... Blue dragon :D

Played it when it came out oh....... 5 years ago for all of 4 or 5 hours and hated it and traded it the next day...... fast forward 5 years and I've since played the fab lost odyssey by the same people and picked it up for €5 again over a year ago . I have to say I was expecting this to be hard to come back to and start over on but I have to say it's not really that bad and it looks and sounds better than some games I can think of that are only out six months or so.

Makes a nice change to be honest from what I've been playing recently, after 10 hours or so it's looking like this will be 80-100 hours of my life as I;ve been sucked in to stats and leveling and accessories and chests of loot (this is why I can't play wow anymore)

It's like an old pair of slippers though , it's turn based, it's got spells I know the names of and what they do and are best used against based on years of playing games with exactly the same ones :D

Edit : can somebody who's actually finished it tell me if it;s worth going on with because so far all i've heard is negativity about it form those who didn't finish it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Mixed between mainly:
    TF2: I usually hop on for a quick blast, still fun.

Diablo 3: Disappointed in this. Not worth the €50 I spent. It is dumbed down compared to D2 and the last few difficulty levels are just grindy and after a second run through becomes repetitive.

Red Faction Guerilla: Picked it up in steam sale, pleasantly surprised although windows live is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr E wrote: »
    I read about a game called 10000000 on Touch Arcade over the weekend. I thought, hmmm, that sounds pretty good. Now ... I ... can't ... stop ... playing ... it .... SOMEONE TAKE MY IPOD AWAY.

http://toucharcade.com/2012/07/26/10000000-review/

I'd say I've put 6 hours into it since Sunday.

Just bought it off your reccomendation there.
    It's ok , reminds me a bit of Jetpack Joyride with teh achievements , mixed with Bejewelled blitz

It's after getting quite hard though tbh..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Dungeons of Dredmor 8/10
    Orcs Must Die 9/10
    Braid 8/10
    Wizorb 6/10
    Cubemen 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Just bought it off your reccomendation there.
    It's ok , reminds me a bit of Jetpack Joyride with teh achievements , mixed with Bejewelled blitz

It's after getting quite hard though tbh..

- Make sure you use the gold/wood/stone and experience to improve your stats.
    - Your main goal is to finish the challenges (they help you level up faster)
    - A single run is usually less than 2-3 minutes (even at the end).
    - Eating food and matching 5 in a row will jump you towards the right a bit.
    - One of the training bonuses (top right door) makes chests only require one key, which makes things easier.

Good interview with the developer here on Touch Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr E wrote: »
    - Make sure you use the gold/wood/stone and experience to improve your stats.
    - Your main goal is to finish the challenges (they help you level up faster)
    - A single run is usually less than 2-3 minutes (even at the end).
    - Eating food and matching 5 in a row will jump you towards the right a bit.
    - One of the training bonuses (top right door) makes chests only require one key, which makes things easier.

Good interview with the developer here on Touch Arcade.

Where do you eat food ?

I've played an hour or 2, it's ok. Got my moneys worth already, helped the nightshift pass a bit quicker ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Comes out of chests and added to your item bar at the top of the screen. Look for cheese, steak and stuff like that. If the item bar is full, then you lose anything you pick up until there is a free slot (so keep using items!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Started playing Kingdoms of Amalur, found it way too much like Fable (a series I loath due to it constantly disappointing), so parking that for a while.

Moved on to The Witcher 2.

Looks fantastic, seems a bit complex, but can't wait to get into it more, seems to be my kind of game, narrative heavy serious RPG, gonna love his (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

PC: Farm Sim 2011
    Xbox : Fifa 12
    Gameboy Color: Pokemon crystal is in the post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Got back into this recently, and am enjoying it again. Definitely playing it as a single player rpg though, so it's got very limited lasting appeal.

Borderlands - Making my way through this again, and will finally finish it before Borderlands 2 is released. It really is a fantastic game.

Arkham City - Loving this as well, though i've not had much time to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Football Manager 2012 on PC (main purchase in the Steam Sale. Keep me going for a while)

On PS3:
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (free from PS+)
    Rainbow Moon (good fun, but a bit too grindy. Another timesink)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Just about to start on skyward sword. have had it since it came out. havent even opened my limited edition remote yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Battlefield 3

Motorstorm pacific rift

Infamous 2

Unit 13

Was playing Witcher 2 and a good few PC games but since my keyboard need to be sent back i'm not playing.

Planning to get back into Old republic soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Mario Tennis Open for the 3DS turned up in the post yesterday so I might be playing that this month. Or it could end up in the backlog. We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Gigabytes

Main games

Anno 1404
    Tropico 4
    AC Revelations

Bit part playing

Alien Breed
    Fallout NV
    Trine
    Spacechem

Playing through Borderlands on my 2nd playthrough. Almost have the 2nd key but thought I would have found a better shotgun by now. Using the same one since the 1st playthrough and the dlc's.

Does anyone know if I use my level 42 guy with a a level 1 split screen person, what level will the enemies be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

I recently bought 3 games in a preowned sale.

Mass Effect 2: Paying most attention to this one right now. I'd never played a ME game before. So far I love the game I'm only about 4 hours in but I'm enjoying it so far.

Shadows of the Damned: Haven't played this yet. But it caught my attention because it's a Suda 51 game. I've played 3 of his games so far (No More Heroes 1&2 and Lollipop Chainsaw) and I really enjoyed them so It should be decent.

Gears of War 3: Meant to pick this up in the last year but with exams I knew I'd have no time to play it properly. Loved Gears 1&2 and from what I've played this one's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Just about to start on skyward sword. have had it since it came out. havent even opened my limited edition remote yet.

Wife got this for me last Xmas. Played a fair bit earlier in the year but have little time for gaming due to other things going on in life. Just started back playing and have to say it is a very polished game and very enjoyable. I'm probably only just over halfway thru it and it just gets better and better.....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

In the last month or so I've been trying to get back into gaming and playing games I should have given a better chance. In the last month I've played and finished:

Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines [PSP]
    Assassin's Creed
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    The Walking Dead - Episode 1
    Assassin's Creed II
    The Walking Dead - Episode 2

I've just started AC: Brotherhood today, and am getting Arkham City this week to play when that's finished

Advertisement