Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn: My family 'the best thing that ever happened to Anglo'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

He built a billion euro company from nothing and put food on peoples plates.

He then signed some stupid CFD's on professional advice and the powers that be want all his assets based on these guarantees.

He is basically plugging the hole in anglos balance sheet that they made through their reckless behaviours.

This country needs more Quinns and less rabble rabble rabble

People read the papers and believe the propoganda they read.

People be stupid

And I am from Kerry and it affects me in no way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

"Now all of a sudden … they are being seen as the good boys by claiming taxpayers' money back from the Quinn."

I really, really just hope that is a misprint and that Seán Quinn does not refer to himself as "The Quinn".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A bit of selected quoting there. What he did say was:

"I think that we've been made scapegoats all along and Anglo has used this situation," he said.

"Whereas I believe, that Anglo - this is the best thing ever happened them (sic), because for the past two or three years, prior to the Quinn situation coming up, they were the most hated company in the history of the State.

"Now all of a sudden … they are being seen as the good boys by claiming taxpayers' money back from the Quinn."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

I read it in full alright but that last line still doesn't make sense no matter how much of the preceeding text you quote. The Quinn what? The Quinn situation? The Quinn companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Isn't it affecting us all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

BornToKill wrote: »
    I read it in full alright but that last line still doesn't make sense no matter how much of the preceeding text you quote. The Quinn what? The Quinn situation? The Quinn companies?

The Quinn is his vigilante name. He's like Batman except rather than use bats, he uses financial ruin to strike fear in the hearts of bankers everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

He put food on no ones table.
    They put food on their own table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle.

Quinn was stupid in the CFD scheme, he was stupid to go behind Anglo's backs and increase his exposure to CFDs and he is behaving in a grossly dishonourable fashion by refusing to meet his legal obligations, now that his mistakes have materialised into the demise of his commercial activities.

However, there are some serious questions over the degree to which Anglo was culpable in these mistakes.

There is also the issue that Quinn did not guarantee, re-capitalise, nor nationalise Anglo. He had no act, hand nor part in any of these inevitabilities. He would have been only too happy, like most of you, to have seen Anglo go down the toilet.

Suddenly, Anglo is the good guy, though. They're on "our side". They're not being examined. It makes perfect sense, from their viewpoint, that IBRC and the Government are keen to roast Quinn in order to smooth over their own uncomfortable, unpalatable activities in the eyes of Joe Taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

He then signed some stupid CFD's on professional advice and the powers that be want all his assets based on these guarantees.

He is basically plugging the hole in anglos balance sheet that they made through their reckless behaviours.

People be stupid

And you be a shill for Quinn or a Gombeen, meanwhile the rest of us pay for his greed and his arrogance.

Isn't it affecting us all?
    2% cent levy on all non life insurance policies for the next 20 or so years to start with, thats without the whole Anglo bail out.
    Quinns are scum and then he claims he is right to hide his assests and make the taxpayer cover his losses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He built a billion euro company from nothing .

Made a lot easier by ignoring the rules that other businesses had to abide by.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    2% cent levy on all non life insurance policies for the next 20 or so years to start with, thats without the whole Anglo bail out.
    Quinns are scum and then he claims he is right to hide his assests and make the taxpayer cover his losses!

If Quinn had his way, that levy would never have happened.

He didn't want any rescue. Not of Anglo, not of Quinn Insurance.

We don't necessarily need to rescue every enterprise that fails, you know. Yes, even insurance companies.

It was a Government decision.

later12 wrote: »
    If Quinn had his way, that levy would never have happened.

He didn't want any rescue. Not of Anglo, not of Quinn Insurance.

We don't necessarily need to rescue every enterprise that fails, you know. Yes, even insurance companies.

It was a Government decision.
    No!
    He tried to cheat the regulator, his insurance company did not have the required reserves and made huge losses in the years after it was put in examinership.
    Quinn and his kids are leeches,parasites living on the back of our taxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Quote he is behaving in a grossly dishonourable fashion

Politicians, bankers, developers etc etc I don't think honour, ethics or moral obligation have ever entered the equation

No!
    He tried to cheat the regulator, his insurance company did not have the required reserves and made huge losses in the years after it was put in examinership.
    Quinn and his kids are leeches,parasites living on the back of our taxes!
    We know that his company was technically insolvent; you can pull out populist mantras about parasites all you like; the insolvency of Quinn was not an issue.

The point is that Quinn was not asking for the current situation; you might remember that when the levy and the rescue plan for Quinn were announced, the Quinn family were opposed to it. They have nothing to gain from the Government rescuing the company in the manner which it has done so.

It's a Government decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Love to know if Mr. Drumm can be hauled home from his summer in Boston????

Love to know if Mr. Drumm can be hauled home from his summer in Boston????
    And a hearty Irish welcome to latest Quinn shill, dont they just remind you of Holocaust deniers!

And a hearty Irish welcome to latest Quinn shill, dont they just remind you of Holocaust deniers!
    No.

And stop dismissing every legitimate argument which might make Quinn's statement seem a little more reasonable as "shilling"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

He said if he had to go to jail, he would.
    As opposed to what Mr. Quinn? Calling in sick?

No.

And stop dismissing every legitimate argument which might make Quinn's statement seem a little more reasonable as "shilling"

Do you honestly think that the argument of the Quinn 'chieftain' can be classed as 'reasonable?'

Really???? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Do you honestly think that the argument of the Quinn 'chieftain' can be classed as 'reasonable?'

Really???? :(

Do I agree that his company and their antics is a PR wet dream for Anglo?

Abso-fucking-lutely! That's basically what Quinn was saying.

As the old adage goes, a scapegoat is as good as a solution to any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Suddenly, Anglo is the good guy, though. They're on "our side". They're not being examined.

Nobody is saying Anglo is the 'good guy'.

Anglo is the disease we were all infected with whether we like it or not.

Quin's assets will help pay for our treatment. Fuck him.

Do I agree that his company and their antics is a PR wet dream for Anglo?

Abso-fucking-lutely! That's basically what Quinn was saying.

As the old adage goes, a scapegoat is as good as a solution to any problem.

To be honest, I don't view Quinn as a 'scapegoat' for Anglo. He's a thief...end of! He has stolen from me and you.
    I could care less about the PR of Anglo...just hope IBRC will pursue him until his sorry ego gets real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

People be stupid

He did what he did out of greed. He wanted to "own" Anglo. A few billion wasn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle.

Yeah three sides to every story as they say.. your side.. my side.. and the truth.

Sean messed up and fell for the guff anglo were spinning him. They are both as bad as each other.

Nobody is saying Anglo is the 'good guy'.

Anglo is the disease we were all infected with whether we like it or not.

Quin's assets will help pay for our treatment. Fuck him.
    Yes, I agree with you there CS.

But I do believe that some people are using Quinn as a scapegoat, and other observers are happy to accept that.

Just look at this thread; people blaming Quinn for the 2% insurance levy when the evening it was announced, he was obsessively sending around press releases denouncing the rescue plan for the Quinn group.

Quinn is indeed little more than a thief, but what he's saying about the Quinn Group being the best thing that's happened to Anglo recently sounds like a reasonable statement to me. It definitely makes the work of IBRC's PR consultants a little bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    The Quinn is his vigilante name. He's like Batman except rather than use bats, he uses financial ruin to strike fear in the hearts of bankers everywhere.

" THE FLIGHTY QUINN"....

Advertisement