Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop 3DS XL Prommotion

Options
  • 28-07-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

O.k, I'll admit right off the bat I'm just being a bit anal but bear with me :)
    Gamestop have a poster in their store with the following promotion: You trade in your 3DS and a selected game to get a 3DS XL for 100 euro. Specifically it says "trade in a 3DS and selected game". Now I brought down my 3DS and game which was on their approved list and the man at the counter asks me for a charger. Now I wouldn't mind handing over my charger only the new 3DS XL doesn't come with one. So I said.. "The 3DS charger is distinct from the 3DS itself as it's listed and sold as an accessory to the 3DS. Your poster specifically asks for A 3DS and game. A 3DS is the console in my hand. A charger is an accesory which you sell and is distinct from the 3DS. So I'm entitled to the promotion and shouldn't have to hand over my charger. But he wouldn't.. I ended up just giving him it but I had to pay 8 quid for a new charger! Fudge that ha Also, you might say the charger came with the 3ds, but then again so does the memory card and they didn't want that, he even reminded me to take it out. So I just don't think it's fair.
    8 euro = a kebab and chips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭timsnewbridge

It's worth noting the guy was a grand chap and I hope he knows I wasn't arguing with him but with the poster haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Can you get us a picture of the poster and the Terms and Conditions?

Can you get us a picture of the poster and the Terms and Conditions?

Sure I'll head down tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

From having worked in Xtravision, the reason why they want the charger (as it's why we wanted chargers with phones) is that it provides a slight guard against someone trading a nicked console and game.

Raphael wrote: »
    From having worked in Xtravision, the reason why they want the charger (as it's why we wanted chargers with phones) is that it provides a slight guard against someone trading a nicked console and game.

I know why they want it, he told me he can't sell it on without it. I'm just saying, as a consumer, doesn't he HAVE to give me the promotion on the poster? Sorry I was supposed to include that question that was the point in the article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I know why they want it, he told me he can't sell it on without it. I'm just saying, as a consumer, doesn't he HAVE to give me the promotion on the poster? Sorry I was supposed to include that question that was the point in the article

Nope. Offer and acceptance. The shop doesn't HAVE to do anything. You make an offer (based on their promotion) and they can choose whether to accept it or not in any situation. Granted, it's very bad customer service to not be honouring their own promotions but theoretically they can for any number of reasons e.g. T+Cs, pricing error, item error etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Back up a bit now. When are the kebab and chips coming in the mail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

As you are required to do something other than walk in and go - I'll have that my good shop keeper. You might be able to make a case. I'm not sure hiring a solicitor would be the most cost effective solution though.

Purely out of interest doesn't it come with a charger?

As you are required to do something other than walk in and go - I'll have that my good shop keeper. You might be able to make a case. I'm not sure hiring a solicitor would be the most cost effective solution though.

Purely out of interest doesn't it come with a charger?

Nope! that's why I was pissed, I had to pay them 8 euro to get my same one I traded in back.

I took some more pics if needed, of the smaller writing and stuff!
    edit: here's all the pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nope! that's why I was pissed, I had to pay them 8 euro to get my same one I traded in back.

tbh, i'd be pissed in this instance too - i was unaware the charger didn't come with them. does it take a generic micro/mini usb?

edit - i see at the bottom of the second pic, "a/c adapter not included". They want one from you but they don't supply one for the new device. . .that's sound :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

theteal wrote: »
    They want one from you but they don't supply one for the new device. . .that's sound :confused:

The 3ds comesw with a charger though when you buy it. It's Nintendo not supplying one with the XL(I assume).

The 3ds comesw with a charger though when you buy it. It's Nintendo not supplying one with the XL(I assume).

Yup true, Nintendo didn't release the XL with one because they wanted to keep the packaging down. So I was saying that the original 3ds also came with a memory card. He hands me my memory card then asks for my charger, so they can just pick and chose the accessories they want or don't want even though the poster explicitly just says, your 3ds. Not your 3ds with charger, keep your memory card. Since the 3ds XL is an entity on it's own without a charger, then to me "your 3ds" just means the console.

theteal wrote: »
    tbh, i'd be pissed in this instance too - i was unaware the charger didn't come with them. does it take a generic micro/mini usb?

edit - i see at the bottom of the second pic, "a/c adapter not included". They want one from you but they don't supply one for the new device. . .that's sound :confused:

Nope it's got a flatter head! Yea I'm raging !haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Sorry to be incredibly thick - but how do you charge it without a charger?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sorry to be incredibly thick - but how do you charge it without a charger?

you have to buy one separately?...you'd often have to do the same if you wanted to play a game on one ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I took some more pics if needed, of the smaller writing and stuff!
    edit: here's all the pics

err....I might be missing something but it does clearly state ask staff for details. in this case you did and you weren't happy with those details.

Given it very clearly says ask staff for details I fail to see the issue as this line relates to both the trade in items marked with * and the price marked with * on the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

People should give them a broken charger, play them at their own game.

Cabaal wrote: »
    err....I might be missing something but it does clearly state ask staff for details. in this case you did and you weren't happy with those details.

Given it very clearly says ask staff for details I fail to see the issue as this line relates to both the trade in items marked with * and the price marked with * on the poster.

yup, I didn't even see that, makes sense I suppose! thanks!

Advertisement