Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flexirent Issue - Harvey Norman

Options
  • 28-07-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi, so my mom (she dosent know english) wanna buy a macbook pro 13 inch in Harvey Norman, I spoke with one guy and he said that we have 3 options, we took 24 months option and then he said that SHE have to call to Australia or something like that (he showed the phone near the cash) and I cant help her to translate and vice versa, is this true? Its so stupid that I cant even think about it, what if someone had accident and he cant talk? Does he CANT buy a laptop only becuase that he cant speaking? Its nononsense, tell me what should I do, and what can I do to help her to buy a laptop...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Buy from another store?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Igor2155

What u mean? Another store = another harvey norman ? also we been in argos in blanch and they just was rude as hell, they transfer alus to dublin cc AND THEN in JErvis they said that THE PRINTER IS CRASHED so they cant do a flexirent option or Buy now pay later :)... Pathetic... Also Argos said that they would like only 6 month for the macbook pro and the price rent for every month is 200 euro (1080 dewight by 6). Who can pay every month around 200 euro? Are they nuts?... Anyway what u mean by "try another store"?.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I imagine the problem there is that you would be signing her up to what is effectively a "loan" or "credit".
    I know she's your mam and all, but to the person on the phone who has no understanding of your language for all they know you could be telling her anything and gettiv her to say yes, without realising what she's entering into.
    I'd say buy it in your name or buy from a different store

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I'd say buy from a different shop as in cur*ys or pc w*rld

Thanks, in PC World they do not have this option, In Curry the same, however she can be communicative she understand if somebody talks slowly and she can repeat that what they say on loud so I can hear and I can whisper to her what she have to say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Firstly don't sign up for these mad interest loans.

Secondly if you can't afford to buy a outright Mac don't - they are ridiculously priced for what they are.

Thirdly if your mother is the one entering into the contract of course they need to speak to her.

Why she shouldnt sign up this contract? If we take for 24 months and we will pay 80 euro, and before end of contract (3 months before end) they ask about what to do: we keep it or we give them back, and she will keep, its not fair? Maybe Im wrong, tell me please why we shouldnt buy it on flexirent. thank you

And also does anybody know what type of questions they can ask her?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Dont use store credit because the APR is Massive,
    Cash price is what? €1300 after 24 x €80 you've paid €2000.

APR is 25%?

Try the credit union for a loan.

I would have thought you could apply for the loan in writing instead of over the phone. Get someone to call the store and ask what measures are in place for a deaf person to apply for flexirent.

Okay I heard about cu, I was with her in that place, they said that she has to go to social ale ask for permission if she want apply for a loan and also she have to be a member minimum 3 months

I really wish I was managing some consumer credit company - people are mental. Won't be long before we see these bloody pay day lenders with APRs of over 1700%

a €300 laptop will do everything a mac will.

You cant stop people entering bad bargains I guess.

OP the person entering the contract needs to be the person understanding and consenting to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Cyphersmurf

With flexirent agreement your mother has to understand that she is entering a rental agreement with them and to understand how the agreement works.

If they feel that cant be communicated to them they wont set up the agreement.

as for flexirent itself, it does work out more but the insurance they provide as part of their service is pretty good. I wreaked an ipad and they replaced it for me so I can be happy enough with it. others may not agree with me but that's my 2c.

Okay so I thought - I'd have a look at it just to make sure I wasn't being harsh and just jumping to conclusions but it seems you don't even own the item at the end of it?! It's a rental agreement not a hire-purchase. Hadn't seen anything like this since the days of Radio Rentals.

My parents used to do this - getting a new TV every year... until they realised that they'd paid enough to buy about 6 tellys.

How much is a mac on this per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Igor2155 wrote: »
    Why she shouldnt sign up this contract? If we take for 24 months and we will pay 80 euro, and before end of contract (3 months before end) they ask about what to do: we keep it or we give them back, and she will keep, its not fair? Maybe Im wrong, tell me please why we shouldnt buy it on flexirent.

Because you are paying 80 per month to "rent" the item and after 19 months they ask if you wamt to keep it. Normally if you want to keep it you will have to pay some more money for it. You should take time to read all the "Terms and Conditions" of the agreement so that you Fully Understand them, so that you can explain everything to your mother. It is your mothers responsability to understand every detail of the contract if she is signing it. If there are problems later you cannot say we did not understand the language as an excuse, Please Be Careful.

Sorry I didn't see the amount that's 1920 over the 24 months plus go knows what to buy it from them afterwards!

I assume its this laptop:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/apple-computers/apple-notebooks/apple-13-inch-macbook-pro-core-i5.html

So not only are you getting ripped off my Apple you then get done by flexirent. Would you not be better off saving €80 a month and buying:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computers/laptops/toshiba-laptop-pskc8e-001005en.html

which will happily surf the net ect. Why not post in the laptop forum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529

and get some advice on what you need.

Anyway I'll stop harping on now... its just a bad deal but it's your money.

Okay thank u all for post, I will consider this, anyway why the mac? Because I need for video editing and for making music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Are you able to get interest-free credit OP? Harvey Norman offer this, and you pay 20% of the price down, and the remainder over 10 months.

I agree FlexiRent's a really bad deal. Seems that's the first thing they offer you in HN. They only offered IF after I asked about it!

I found this option on irish site
    "1. QuickCredit 10
    QuickCredit 10 Months Interest Free allows you to take your goods home today and divide your payments over a ten month easy payment plan at no extra cost. An early payment settlement is available with no extra penalties once inside the 10 month period. This product is great for those who want to take advantage of interest free credit."

I think it says only for furniture and house products not an electronic

Advertisement