Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, looking for advice.

Options
  • 28-07-2012 7:40pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€350+]
    2. What will be the main use: some surfing, photoediting, gaming (.bf3)
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] no I have a copy already
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] Hdd (sata) 320gb x 3
    5. Do you need a monitor: no
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Wireless card, have keyboard mouse etc already
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/]
    8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]
    9. When are you purchasing? [In 10 days]
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No I used to build pcs but haven't in a while.

Right my situation is a little tricky, I want to build a machine that is upgradable in a year's time. My budget is limited right now but every month I could prob find a hundred or so to buy something new for the pc.
    My main gaming is on ps3 but I would like to try get back into pc games just a little.
    I can suffer with using onboard graphics if need be for a while to make it cheaper at the start. I might stretch to 400/450 initially.
    Cheers,
    Jonny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

See if you can find an old computer case. You can buy a better later and it will save you ~€100 to spend on other less upgradeable components (Your motherboard or processor, for example).

My current case :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153990&page=32

(Second last post)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I actually might have a case lying around but no power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

You'd want to buy a separate PSU anyway. I hear a lot about the brand Super Flower, though I'll leave it up to someone more knowledgeable to better advise you on which power supply to buy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You'd want to buy a separate PSU anyway. I hear a lot about the brand Super Flower, though I'll leave it up to someone more knowledgeable to better advise you on which power supply to buy.

Yes i noticed its recommended a lot on here the 450w seems to be a popular option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Item|Price
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.57
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€37.56
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€90.77
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.44
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€256.32

Okay this is a base build I would use.

Merc Alpha Case - cheap decent case with plenty of room for sticking in more fans.
    Basic 1155 CPU which you can upgrade later
    Great Mainboard, Standard RAM and PSU everyone uses.

If you tell me what games you play and at what resolution I'll fire in a reasonable video card but you could always buy that at a later date and just use the iGPU on the CPU if you just want to get cracking.

I've not put in any drives as you have HDDs and you can avoid using a DVD drive these days. If you want one add €20. Also add €20 for the woreless card. The one what everyone uses has got some bad reports lately so I'll let you decide on that :)

Build as you go is great if you're on a limited budget - means you can get some great components and just wait a while rather than compromising on every component and having a finished build.

• Advertisement

Item|Price
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.57
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€37.56
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€90.77
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.44
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€256.32

Okay this is a base build I would use.

Merc Alpha Case - cheap decent case with plenty of room for sticking in more fans.
    Basic 1155 CPU which you can upgrade later
    Great Mainboard, Standard RAM and PSU everyone uses.

If you tell me what games you play and at what resolution I'll fire in a reasonable video card but you could always buy that at a later date and just use the iGPU on the CPU if you just want to get cracking.

I've not put in any drives as you have HDDs and you can avoid using a DVD drive these days. If you want one add €20.

Build as you go is great if you're on a limited budget - means you can get some great components and just wait a while rather than compromising on every component and having a finished build.

Cheers mate, that looks like a nice little setup only sacrificing 35 odd on the CPU now means I can max it out possibly two weeks later with a far better one. Only thing i noticed is in the Boards spec it says compatible processors i3,i5,i7 will that processor work with it?
    I would spend another 50 onto of the above for a decent GPU and ill be happy enough but not sure what card to get, i would play BF3 and maybe some old games like SOF/HL2 etc? Ermmmm resolution?? I have no idea about that at all, its been that long haha

Are you using a monitor (model no) or a TV?

Are you using a monitor (model no) or a TV?

Well I have a 17 inch crt I intend to use until u get funds together and I can connect it to my tv aswell
    If I put a wireless card into it.

Depending on how much you can push the budget a 6870 would play BF3 on pretty high settings (ultra but the post processing turned down a bit) at around 30 FPS on a 1080p TV. The 6XXX series really is reaching the end of its life though. The nVidia 660ti is coming out soon. I think it might be a bit out of budget - but it might force some of the other cards down.

This is what I'd probably go for:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1024+MB/59766/Club+3D+Radeon+HD+7850+royalQueen%2C+1GB+GDDR5.article

Yep you're okay on the Celeron:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro3/?cat=CPU

Use it for a couple of months then chuck it up on adverts.ie speaking of which:
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    Well I have a 17 inch crt I intend to use until u get funds together and I can connect it to my tv aswell
    If I put a wireless card into it.

You can get second hand 20" off adverts for €50 or less - a 22" 1080p is what I'd look for offer around €70 most will refuse (nutters) but you should find one eventually.

Ah brilliant, thanks for that mate. I'm not in a huge panic to buy at the minute so when do you think the new gpu is out? I can wait until then and see how prices go alright, going having a look through some bits I have in the house for sale that I could use towards it too :)

• Advertisement

The 660ti is out on the 13th/16th August IIRC. Might be a little while before we see the price drop though. Post before you buy incase there have been any major changes.

The 660ti is out on the 13th/16th August IIRC. Might be a little while before we see the price drop though. Post before you buy incase there have been any major changes.

Perfect, either way I can start with the base machine above and just add a card at a later date. I'm gonna check adverts now for a monitor ;)

On another note, will i have to buy thermal paste aswell?

Boxed CPUs come with it pre applied to the Heat sink. Worth having some when you upgrade and buy an after market cooler.

Boxed CPUs come with it pre applied to the Heat sink. Worth having some when you upgrade and buy an after market cooler.

Cheers mate. I see you sold a cheap monitor yesterday and I just missed out on it

Cheers mate. I see you sold a cheap monitor yesterday and I just missed out on it

Sorry man! Certain areas of my body that I'm very attached to where in jeopardy if I didnt get the CC bill down before the wife saw it!

Offer €50 on 20" and €70ish on 22" you should get one. I'll let you know if the deal on the Samsung falls though. You wouldn't want the Viewsonic at this stage. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about me selling them - it's against the charter (I think) and would have looked like I was just advising you to buy my stuff.

Sorry man! Certain areas of my body that I'm very attached to where in jeopardy if I didnt get the CC bill down before the wife saw it!

Offer €50 on 20" and €70ish on 22" you should get one. I'll let you know if the deal on the Samsung falls though. You wouldn't want the Viewsonic at this stage. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about me selling them - it's against the charter (I think) and would have looked like I was just advising you to buy my stuff.

No worries at all, when they are on the chopping block its gets worrying alright :) ah sure I might hold off on monitor until I have it very high spec :)

There is actually someything to be said for CRTs - I miss my 22" beast - I'd still be gaming on it now if it wasn't for the wife and the aesthetics issues.

100Hz Refresh in 1600 x 1200 and a degauss button to play with ftw! :D

Advertisement