Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video streaming on Xbox causes connection to drop?

• 28-07-2012 8:08pm

I posted this in the Xbox forum too, but pretty sure it's a setting with my router. As if I watch netflix through tethering on my phone, it works fine.

Anytime I try to load a video in YouTube app on xbox, it causes my broadband to drop connection. The same happens when I start Netflix (or any video streaming app).

I'm on UPC and have the MTU setting to 1500, and have a port forwarding set up correctly. I believe. I have the white Thomson router/AP and am on 60Mb.

Can watch Netflix on ipad/phone with no problems.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

I posted this in the Xbox forum too, but pretty sure it's a setting with my router. As if I watch netflix through tethering on my phone, it works fine.

Anytime I try to load a video in YouTube app on xbox, it causes my broadband to drop connection. The same happens when I start Netflix (or any video streaming app).

I'm on UPC and have the MTU setting to 1500, and have a port forwarding set up correctly. I believe. I have the white Thomson router/AP and am on 60Mb.

Can watch Netflix on ipad/phone with no problems.

Any ideas?

If it's wireless to your xbox the wireless router might not be good. I dont trust them router tbh. Go for a netgear or linksys.

If it's wireless to your xbox the wireless router might not be good. I dont trust them router tbh. Go for a netgear or linksys.
    Nope, ethernet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Nope, ethernet ;)

Then I no idea, only that it could be the modem as Ive the same broadband package as you and I'm wireless and it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Nope, ethernet ;)

Have you turned off the IP Flood Protection and Firewall on the modems settings. I did this a couple of years ago (on the advise of someone here) and it solved all my problems I was having with my UPC connection.

Try PingTest.net and see what your packet loss currently is. I was getting 98% packet loss with those enabled and when I turned them off, my connection when rock solid, never really drops and 0% packet loss!

Worth looking at!

Have you turned off the IP Flood Protection and Firewall on the modems settings. I did this a couple of years ago (on the advise of someone here) and it solved all my problems I was having with my UPC connection.

Try PingTest.net and see what your packet loss currently is. I was getting 98% packet loss with those enabled and when I turned them off, my connection when rock solid, never really drops and 0% packet loss!

Worth looking at!
    I changed them settings on my old Cisco AP ad had no problems. But my AP is the white Thomson. I can't seem to find ant of these settings in the AP?

Connection is quite good.
    67351080.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

When you log into your Thomson router,click the 'Firewall' tab at the top of the screen,it's the 6th tab across.

When you log into your Thomson router,click the 'Firewall' tab at the top of the screen,it's the 6th tab across.
    Thanks. Already had IP Flood protection disabled and firewall to low. Turned Firewall off, and it's still not working. Strange. I'll mess around with router settings and see if I can fix it.

Edit,
    Seems to be working now. It was due to parental controls setup I think. I was blocking "rad.msn.com" to try and stops ads appearing on dashboard. Stopped blocking that, and now Netflix seems to be working on xbox. Youtube is working too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Thanks. Already had IP Flood protection disabled and firewall to low. Turned Firewall off, and it's still not working. Strange. I'll mess around with router settings and see if I can fix it.

Edit,
    Seems to be working now. It was due to parental controls setup I think. I was blocking "rad.msn.com" to try and stops ads appearing on dashboard. Stopped blocking that, and now Netflix seems to be working on xbox. Youtube is working too! :)

That's great!

I have to say, one thing that's really bugging my about the Xbox dash is the ad's on there. I mean, i paid hundreds of Euros for the console and 50+ euro per year for gold and I'm still subjected to Ad's! Pain in the behind!

That's great!

I have to say, one thing that's really bugging my about the Xbox dash is the ad's on there. I mean, i paid hundreds of Euros for the console and 50+ euro per year for gold and I'm still subjected to Ad's! Pain in the behind!
    Yeah, thats the exact reason I wanted to block them. I pay money every year for xbox live, I don;t want to see ads for Coors light.

I started a thread over at the xbox forums, but it was removed by mods within hours of posting it. Typical MS. If PSN was any good, I'd get rid of the xbox :(

Anyway, enjoying Netflix atm :)

Advertisement