Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lanzarote 2013 - Roth 2012 Race report

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear that Mr Tango! shingles ain't something to take lightly and it seems you'e making the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Very wise decision, Have seen people in very bad ways ignoring docs advice having felt they were recovered from shingles. Not to be messed with.

Speedy recovery !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Ouch, doesn't sound like much fun - looking forward to seeing what you're up to as you build back up for lanza... booked my flights for that race today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Pain in the a$$ but the right decision for DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Shingles suck and can have lingering effects, so def take it easy to ensure a full recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Back in the routine

All injuries/illnesses have subsided for the minute. Been back training for a few weeks now. Key points:

- 3 weeks of 3 swims a week followed by the Ulster Masters gala last weekend. Hit 5.05 for the 400m free and 1.01 for the 100 free. 3rd and 5th overall respectively and 1st and 3rd in AG. Way off my pbs from back in the day of 4.12 and 54. Think I will park those PBs as my 'under 30' and the new times will be my 'over 30 pbs' - bit embarassed not breaking 60 for the 100 but I guess the point of entering was to give me some motivation to train in the pool. Next gala is Limerick in March so loads of time!!

- Bike - got my ass handed to me by Tunney and Fran three weeks ago on a 4.5 hr cycle. Did a power test last week which explained why.

5min - 277w @hr 169
    20min - 2192 @hr 168
    FTP - 208w

I am significantly behind both the lads - a significant chunk of this will be down to the 8 weeks i took off. Needless to say trying to hang on to them up the hills nearly killed me. I was glad tunney had some spare gels and at one stage i think we stopped on the way to Sally Gap from Laragh and i pumped 4 gels into me (basically I bonked). I was riding in at or above threshold which obviously I couldn't continue for too long.

Last week went out on my own using the new power figures and paced it much better. Few turbos in the last two week so will test again in 3 weeks and am expecting a big jump in the nos.

New toys - P2M and a turbo :-).

Run wise - been putting this off and only done two runs in the last 3 weeks so building this up very slowly. Need to sort this and get moving.

Focus for the next few months will be the bike - biggest chunk of the IM and given the great idea to enter Lanza I think I had better get my ass into gear on it.

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Back in the routine
    - 3 weeks of 3 swims a week followed by the Ulster Masters gala last weekend. Hit 5.05 for the 400m free and 1.01 for the 100 free. 3rd and 5th overall respectively and 1st and 3rd in AG. Way off my pbs from back in the day of 4.12 and 54. Think I will park those PBs as my 'under 30' and the new times will be my 'over 30 pbs' - bit embarassed not breaking 60 for the 100 but I guess the point of entering was to give me some motivation to train in the pool. Next gala is Limerick in March so loads of time!!

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going at the gala

What do you think of the P2M?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

A couple of mates did Lanza 70.3 the weekend. It was windy, 72kph on the flat windy; 25kph on the descents windy. I don't envy you!!

griffin100 wrote: »
    A couple of mates did Lanza 70.3 the weekend. It was windy, 72kph on the flat windy; 25kph on the descents windy. I don't envy you!!

And the hills Tango, big fvking hills and lots of them. And 180km of riding oh and a marathon after:)

• Advertisement

And the hills Tango, big fvking hills and lots of them. And 180km of riding oh and a marathon after:)

The hills actually aren't that bad over there. Mind you I wasn;t planning a marathon after them! :D It's the wind that's the killer IMO

not got the P2M yet - arriving on Tuesday - borrowed MLOC's power tap while i was waiting since he is taking a break.

Currently trying to figure out how to use golden cheetah - not having great success in setting up the charts. Think a visit to Tunney with my laptop might be in order.

Out in the hills in the morning - need lots of practise in those hills Fran - i know!! Ill make a bike out of myself if its the last thing I do.

Still not put the P2m on the bike - didn't realise chain ring bolts were so hard to locate in Dublin bike shops!!

Last week was approx 6.5 hrs of cycling with one long one of 4.5 and two turbos. Doing power test Wednesday - better be a big improvement from the last time @ 2.79w per kg!

Nie cycle this morning at 7am - hit a new max power number when i was cycling though a wooded area near Saggart and all of a sudden a loud growling noise and a shadow appeared through the trees - all i seen were white teeth. Near had a heart attack as i sprinted up the road - checked the file after - 924watts and the hr went from just under 130 to 168! Roads were good up Wicklow gap but from Laragh to Sally Gap was covered in black ice - had to take it so easy. Good spin overall. NP of 170 (on garmin) or 160 on training peaks - who do i believe? 4hrs 40 and 101km.

Only 2 easy runs this week - need to get the finger out - too easy to find an excuse not to run.

No swimming since the gala - need to sort that out also!

Total for last week was 8.5 hrs.

p2m installed - only took about an hour and a half start to finish which included you tube videos to ensure i was doing i t right - i was being extra careful. Should be interesting when i have to switch to the road bike for the weekend cycle - it has been indicated this is a 5 minute job so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

p2m installed - only took about an hour and a half start to finish which included you tube videos to ensure i was doing i t right - i was being extra careful. Should be interesting when i have to switch to the road bike for the weekend cycle - it has been indicated this is a 5 minute job so fingers crossed!

For those that don't know Tango and his mechanical expertise. This is the equivalent of an eight year old painting the Mona Lisa when they have only two colour paints. And both are green.

Well done Tango.

I had visions of you breaking the P2M and having to send it back!!

U shouldnt doubt me. I need to remember thoughthe p2m wont make me faster - just to train smarter. Big improvement in ftp per kg up from 2.79 to 3.00. Need a similar jump in 4 weks time. In real terms from 208 to 224.

Its all about the bike

It has been a while but as Lanza approaches I am going to put up a few more posts - motivation for the last 12 weeks!!

Been a major focus on the bike. New power meter has been a great investment and I should have listened to Tunney and got one sooner.

Basically the last 2-3 months have seen a major bike focus (still around 10 hours a week but more than half has been cycling - a lot for me). Much help has been given by JB. Summary as follows:

November - 20min = 219w, ftp = 207, 5 min power = 273
    December - 20min = 235w, ftp = 223, 5 min power = 294
    January - 20min =260w, ftp = 247, 5 min power = 310

Substantial gains which is nice to see. Whilst acknowledging I was coming from a low base the sets JB have been setting have really pushed the body like it has not been pushed before (i.e. not being able to complete some sets and mostly ending up lying on my bike for a minute or two on a hard set).

I used to train in the pool like this when I was swimming competitively so its nice to get that back again.

Just back from 5 days training in Lanzarote so another test is due soon and hoping for another big enough jump. Currently trying to establish how good the training was in Lanzarote - different numbers between the Garmin Head unit and training peaks (c30w less when transferred to training peaks!!). Once sorted will post up a few thoughts on the race.

Key focus over the next few weeks are:
    - swim at least twice a week - try for three - under pressure from a few people to put the effort in here and get close to or under 50mins (conditions depending).
    - Bike - continue as is.
    - Run - only running about 30km a week at the minute. Focus to hit at least 45-50k per week from here on in.

Entered Try Laois - looking forward to a wee race on the 6th April - want to race more Tri's than I did last year (2) and make use of all this training.

Lanzarote training was great 24 hrs training in 5 days (last day was only an hour of training) - this is more than I have ever done before. Consisted of 480km cycling, 50km running and a short sea swim (the lads did some more sea swimming when I left). What is not so great is how tired I have been for the last week - think it took a week to catch me up culminating in my 3.5 hr cycle on Sunday being 1hr easy. Promised my son I would take him out to do a duathlon on Sunday as well (he is 6 and got the idea when I did the Naas duathlon last weekend - finished 17th and had a good day on the bike so was happy with the result). This forced me out for a 5km run off the bike with him cycling beside me and then we had a 500m race round the estate - that's what it is all about!! Funny what the kids pick up on.

Anyway, default rest week - did 6 hrs training but hit the run target of 42km in the week. This week is also recovery with a stag do in Munich. Will be in Munich early Friday so bringing the runners to get a long run in before the Pauliner starts flowing! Only 11 weeks to Lanza so I think I need to enjoy this weekend as there is a lot of hard work ahead.

If you can ride the course you should do it as there is no substitute for seeing this course.

No question if you have a tri bike and road bike then take the Tri bike.

I trailed the net looking for reports on the bike course given the horror stories I had heard so thought I would add my 2 cents. Note that we missed the first and last 5km or so as we were on the edge of Puerto Del Carmen - these are just round the town so nothing much to share anyhow.

1. Puerto Del Carmen - Yaiza (to 15km)

First section of the course - about 15km of steady climbing. I would watch the power here and ignore the guys flying by you. Stay in the tri bars and just spin the legs.

As you come into Yaiza there are two speed bumps - I lost a bottle here out the back of the bike so be careful if you have stuff hanging out. This is a fast decent through Yaiza and towards and around the coast.

2. Yaiza - Timanfaya (40km done at the start of this climb).
    The coast round is spectacular especially if the sea is choppy. Roads are great but it is windy. You will have a slight climb when you turn back inland for a few KM back to the big roundabout and then a steep section to get the foot of the Timanfya Climb.

3. Climb Yimanfaya
    Hit this at 90% FTP when we did it. On the Tri bars the whole way - road is good. Just don't overcook it here. Enjoy the camels to the left as you go up up up!

4. Timanfaya descent - Marcha Blanco
    Fast and sharp descent - big cross winds as you progress through the national park. I couldn't stay on the tri bars here (but I am chicken on decents once I hit c65kph). The road flattens out the next section is great roads and flat. Even with the head wind you motor along. I will be using the descent for recovery. This is fast the whole way to Marcha Blanco where there is a water stop.

5. Tinajo - La Santa (La Santa is around the 60km mark)
    Short sharp climb through Marcha Blanco and then it is fast towards La Santa.

You need to focus big time as you are going fast and there are gusting winds from the side. On the tri bars - but my shoulders hurt due to the strain of concentrating and holding on (too tightly).

6. La Santa - Famara (climbing starts at c70km).
    You dont quite get to hit Club La Santa as you turn at the roundabout just before it and the climbing starts again. There is a sharp climb and then a long drag of about 4km - again stay on the bars and get the aero benefits. I was aiming for c80% FTP here. the road flattens out and then rises again as a drag for another few km and then breaks into a cuvery and fast descent towards the base of Haria.
    7. Haria (to c600m in height and 95km into the ride)
    Big climb on the course - only thing is to remember that you basically did start climbing this when you turn away from the coast at La Santa. This climb really starts as you see the raod rise to the left and it goes into a series of switch backs. I was out of the bars here and trying to keep FTP at c90%. At what you think is the last switch back (before the restaurant) you will need to stand up. Don't be fooled though - get back in the saddle as there is still a bit to go on the climb. As you round the next bend you will see the wind turbines. Get in some gels as you will shortly hit the descent and will need both hands on the bars!

Enjoy the view to the right as you crest the hill and get ready for Alp D'Huez style switchbacks on the way down. This is fast and dangerous as there are sheer drops all round you. my advice is to us this as recovery and get ready for the next climb to Mirador Del Rio.

8. Haria - Mirador Del Rio (460m in height and 107km into the climb)
    Make sure you are in the small ring at the front as you come into Haria as you go straight into a very steep but short section (10% gradient I believe). You are now on your way to the final real climb. It will be on you before you know it Steep enough little climbs to get out of Haria, another fast descent where again I would recommend recovery here. the road rises again and there is a sneaky left turn where this climbs gets serious. Brilliant views out to an island and you are almost there.

This is around the 110km mark and be comforted to know that when you reach here the hard work is done. You want to ensure that you do not push too hard as there is still 70km to go. I have read on one website that you should be at c80% average power (in relation to ftp). Some of the text books indicate IM is at 70% FTP - your average will drop on the way back to Puerto Del Carmen.

9. Mirador Del Rio - Main Road (almost a motorway but not quite).
    This is seriously fast. Get on the bars as much as possible and soak up the speed. Lots of switch backs again on this section but plenty of opportunity to get aero and get some free speed.

As you come down off the decents you hit the main road and its a case of c70% ftp on this long stretch (at around the 120km mark). Did this section twice and it was into the wind both times. Fast in places and slow in others.

10. Road to Nazaret
    Prepare yourself at the roundabout to turn right and get aero on this c2.5km drag of a hill. There will be a turn left which must easily be the worst road on the island - bumpy, full of stones and will have you shaking. It only lasts about a km but be prepared for it.

11. Road to St Bart.
    You turn left after the rough road and you are almost there. There are uphill drags here but the surface is great so even into the wind you move fast. You hit a big roundabout and will see a petrol station - only about 20km to go and all on good roads. There is about 10km of tt'ing on good roads, a sharp left turn and a steep short climb and you are downhill - really fast - the whole way to Puerto Del Carmen. The lads passed me out on the tri bars (I was doing 69kph) and they disappeared.

Now lets run!!!

Basically I was holding (or trying to hold) around 90% ftp on the hills and mid 70's for the flats to try and give me an average power or around 70% of my threshold.

See link below (all the stops were for water and toilet break - at least there will be aid stations on the day).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/276312172

Key stats - ap 182, np 192 (FTP at the minute is 247).

I

• Advertisement

Major difference in the power numbers here - anyone else had this issue?

Training peaks - http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/3F4MHOWZ6J2P6VHPCKLNM3AOWY

Garmin Connect - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/276312172

Same ride but the NP and AP falls significantly from the GC to TP (head unit is the edge 500 and what it says does appear on GC.

Nice training in Lanza. It's a cracking spot.

IIRC Tamsin Lewis asked a similar question about GC and TP on twitter last week. I think the consensus was that TP is correct but I'll try and dig it out if I have a chance.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice training in Lanza. It's a cracking spot.

IIRC Tamsin Lewis asked a similar question about GC and TP on twitter last week. I think the consensus was that TP is correct but I'll try and dig it out if I have a chance.

GC is pants, i put both of your files into WKO as a secondary check and they match TP. Something else is going on with the head unit as when i load up the 500 the ap on the head unit matches what comes out on TP. I would just take NP off as a display on the head unit and look purely at AP.

Doing the recce of the course will give you an advantage on race day with regards to pacing and when to make back time.

Noted re taking the np off the garmin head unit. Problem is the ave power figures are changing also between the head unit and tp (gc and head unit always match).

Also I paid a lot of money for the garmin 500 and the power2max so we shouldn't have to mess around with assumptions.

Keen to see if there is a fix to this so the equipment works properly.

As an aside - all figures match up (i.e. head unit, gs and tp on a turbo session).

If you can ride the course you should do it as there is no substitute for seeing this course.

Cheers for the writeup, hoping to get a swing at this next week myself! I've been on most of the road in the past, except the climb from haria up to the mirador and a large section from mirador back to the south.

We stopped for lunch one of the days we did the course in Haria (lovely little place in the village square). If you do this you really don't feel the climb from Haria to M. del Rio.

Next time we did the course straight through and this climb is a lot different - a lot shorter and steeper than I was expecting.

The descent south is great for speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Noted re taking the np off the garmin head unit. Problem is the ave power figures are changing also between the head unit and tp (gc and head unit always match).

Also I paid a lot of money for the garmin 500 and the power2max so we shouldn't have to mess around with assumptions.

Keen to see if there is a fix to this so the equipment works properly.

As an aside - all figures match up (i.e. head unit, gs and tp on a turbo session).

Are you going to use power on the day, if so I would be using the values from the head unit, as this is what you will be using on the day for pacing.
    The values differences within either tool is a pain but this only becomes an issue when looking at the date not during training or race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

But less than a SRM and PC7 ;)

Pick one and stick with it, take the Garmin figures as they are... this is what you will use on the day.

At a guess, I would say GC is averaging power based on 'moving time' while TP is averaging power on total time.

mloc123 wrote: »
    But less than a SRM and PC7 ;)

Pick one and stick with it, take the Garmin figures as they are... this is what you will use on the day.

At a guess, I would say GC is averaging power based on 'moving time' while TP is averaging power on total time.

Issue identified and sorted, zeros were being excluded on head unit average so it would always read higher than TP. Does not affect his turbo sets or FTP figures though as he would never be coasting whilst on the turbo so the zeros never impact on the averages.
    Just means he can go harder than he has been out on the road:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Issue identified and sorted, zeros were being excluded on head unit average so it would always read higher than TP. Does not affect his turbo sets or FTP figures though as he would never be coasting whilst on the turbo so the zeros never impact on the averages.
    Just means he can go harder than he has been out on the road:)

I'm pretty sure he was told "include zeros" :)

Advertisement