Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing a house to see if water is under it?

Options
  • 28-07-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anybody know what this is called?

I heard about people in Waterford who are having their houses tested to see if there was or is water running below their houses cause its suppose be bad for your health like seriously bad, Person comes out says oh yeah there is something here, dont lie your bed accross this way lie it accross that way.

People were suppose to be getting sick and the illness was suppose to occur in the area the people were lieing accross.

I know it all sounds like an old housewives tale but i heard this is done when people move into houses especially in the countryside. englighten me please.

I know theres gonna be alot of pee taking now! so go easy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Oh yea I heard of this years ago when a friend of mine moved into a new house in ferrybank, his mother got very very sick because of it and I remember asking " are you making this up ? Because it seems mental but it happens!

Don't know what the testing is though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Think it's called dowsing, it's some sort of divination.

I actually just googled it and there's a website for a fella who calls himself a water diviner.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 1000midgets

We had this done about a year ago,it's called Geopathic Stress.A guy from wexford comes to do it,we noticed a big difference since having it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,723 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What happens if you live in a boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Yeah, it's called divining, my dad used have a business doing it but gave it up.. You basically walk around with a certain tool thing and when it points one way it tells you what direction the water is flowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 1000midgets

Haha,i haven't a clue!!I think its more to do with stagnant underground water which gives off an energy which then in turn create "ley lines".If exposed to
    these for long periods over a period of time they can interfere with your own energy resulting in ill health.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, it's geopathic stress. Means you change bedrooms round, put down magnets etc. Jury is out on if it really means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Put oars out the downstairs windows and start rowing motions, if the house moves then there is probably water under it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Put oars out the downstairs windows and start rowing motions, if the house moves then there is probably water under it!
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

I believe in this, both my parents got very sick, was found that it was passing directly through the bed. Also there was cracks in the concrete where it passed through also, that could have been a coincidence but I thought it could be another way of spotting it. Can do it yourself with 2 steel clothes hangers, straighten them out and out a handle on the end, when they cross it's a sign of it being there, doesn't seem to work for everyone though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Pure mumbo jumbo!! Not based on any science or common sense. Don't delude yourself, it falls into the same camp as astrology, crystals, homeopathy, fairies etc.
    If you are feeling unwell there is another reason for it and not because water is flowing under your house.
    By the way there is water flowing under almost all houses as ground water exists all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

It isn't water flowing under your house you should worry about its the little people, I heard they can put a curse on your house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

You people need your fcuking heads tested!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

How about some science

www.munster-express.ie/business/waterford-householders-urged-to-check-for-lethal-radon-levels/

Now with regard to direction of a bed, some of the older CRT TV's has a circuit to adjust for N/S E/W orientation, the Earths 'Natural' magenetic field can slightly effect the TV's electromagnetic deflection. Don't know if there's real science on position of a bed, but plenty of pseudoscience out there & people willing to part you from your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Tomk1 wrote: »
    How about some science

www.munster-express.ie/business/waterford-householders-urged-to-check-for-lethal-radon-levels/

Now with regard to direction of a bed, some of the older CRT TV's has a circuit to adjust for N/S E/W orientation, the Earths 'Natural' magenetic field can slightly effect the TV's electromagnetic deflection. Don't know if there's real science on position of a bed, but plenty of pseudoscience out there & people willing to part you from your money.

Radon Gas, testing, barriers etc have nothing got to do with geopathic stress.
    It's a natural radioactive gas that results from the breakdown of uranium in the ground.
    I 'had' to get my site tested for geopathic stress (thanks to the Mrs) before building the house. Of course the tester recommended we move the house a few metres due to some energy lines.... All to justify his hour on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I didnt say that i was into it or i wanted to get it done or i believed in it i simply asked what is it called?

I heard someone in waterford had it done but i just wanted to know what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

A number of years ago in the area I live we had a lot of cancer deaths and then this geopathic stress thing came to light. A lot of houses in the area got this done by a guy from Wexford, my other half would nt allow it as he thought it was pure nonsense and preying on people at a low time. I think most houses had to get some kind of pump or gadget installed which all cost money. I must enquire off my neighbours do they still use this thing anymore. Seemingly the danger point is where 2 streams cross under the house is what they say. Personally I dont know what to believe about it. Some people just had to move beds or furniture. At this point in time I think ignorance is bliss as far as Im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Brianne wrote: »
    A number of years ago in the area I live we had a lot of cancer deaths and then this geopathic stress thing came to light. A lot of houses in the area got this done by a guy from Wexford, my other half would nt allow it as he thought it was pure nonsense and preying on people at a low time. I think most houses had to get some kind of pump or gadget installed which all cost money. I must enquire off my neighbours do they still use this thing anymore. Seemingly the danger point is where 2 streams cross under the house is what they say. Personally I dont know what to believe about it. Some people just had to move beds or furniture. At this point in time I think ignorance is bliss as far as Im concerned.

Where abouts was that? I know Radon Gas is particularly bad in Waterford, I know its not the same thing but I had my home tested and maybe those people should have it tested, I cant believe there is a campaign or was a campaign not so long ago on TV about Carbon monoxide and no campaign to warn people of the dangers of radon gas's the second highest cause of lung cancer behind smoking, If you havent got a radon barrier or a sump you should look into it, Tests can be carried out by the radialogical society of Ireland they are impartial when it comes to recommending people to carry out work they just send you the 2 testers that costs 50 euro leave it in the house for 3 months and send it back and they tell you if there are dangerous levels or not, you can also visit their website to see a map of the high level areas of Radon, Ignorance is certainly not bliss when it comes to Radon as this stuff most deffinetly does cause cancer and i would urge all people to have their home tested for the sake of 50 euro

Heres a Radon Map for you, t

http://www.rpii.ie/radon-map.aspx

Im out west of Dungarvan. Yes radon gas is different. I ve got my house done for that a couple of times and its grand. Radon is linked with lung cancer. All new houses now have radon barriers but its an easy test to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

So what is the solution,

put your bed parallel to the water flow or perpendicular to the flow or cut down on the sauce :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSS5EhAsI9QtJ8C9LJE5oNLOq0y_Tuj3JDJxtr_t1AlZ-Lc95cQoA

Maybe take it out in the open air altogether!

Advertisement