Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Students looking for 4 bed house - Dublin 6. Are we wasting our time?

Options
  • 28-07-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place for my post,anyway myself and 3 friends are starting back in college in September so we're looking for a 4 bedroom place in south dublin preferably Rathmines or Ranelagh. We started looking in mid July and have only come across 3 houses which have met our needs,eg price,location etc. Anyway we've had some problems getting viewings,eg,landlords have said they would prefer workers over students etc and in general the market seems relatively quite.I don't have much experience when it comes to house hunting in Dublin so could anyway tell me have they experiencd any problems like this before?Do more houses appear on daft.ie in August or are we deluded if we think we'll get a 4 bedroom place by September?Like I said,I've very little experience here,so any advice would be greatly appreciated,cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place for my post,anyway myself and 3 friends are starting back in college in September so we're looking for a 4 bedroom place in south dublin preferably Rathmines or Ranelagh. We started looking in mid July and have only come across 3 houses which have met our needs,eg price,location etc. Anyway we've had some problems getting viewings,eg,landlords have said they would prefer workers over students etc and in general the market seems relatively quite.I don't have much experience when it comes to house hunting in Dublin so could anyway tell me have they experiencd any problems like this before?Do more houses appear on daft.ie in August or are we deluded if we think we'll get a 4 bedroom place by September?Like I said,I've very little experience here,so any advice would be greatly appreciated,cheers folks.

You might be better looking for a two or three bedroom place if you want it in that area and a couple of you will have to share. Otherwise, you could go the other way. Me and my flat mate are living in Inchicore this year, which is the same distance from college (TCD) as we were last year in Rathmines, but it's in a different direction. The properties in the area you're looking tend to be quite expensive, so you might find what you're looking for in another area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just have a think about it- a 4 bed house in D6 would be considered to be a desireable family home- and very unlikely to be considered by a landlord as student accommodation. D6 is a highly desireable location- and to be honest with you- I'm surprised that you did find 3 or 4 properties in your price bracket, but not surprised in the least at the trouble you had in getting viewings.

If you want to stay in the general D6 area- you'd be better off going the other direction too (I'm making an assumption you're attending UCD, perhaps I'm wrong)- but you really need to include Stillorgan/Goatstown/Clonskeagh - and then back down towards Doneybrook.

Also- why are you looking for a house in particular? Why not a large apartment? There are lots vacant in the general area at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seannew1 wrote: »
    landlords have said they would prefer workers over students etc
    You say "going back to college" so I assume that you're not 1st years. What year will you all be, and do you have references from past landlords?

Finally, what college will you all be going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I made a typo in my opening post,we're not looking for a house,apartment is fine.We're actually all final year students if this will help our case with the landlord. Rathmines is really the only viable option because all of us are in different places,eg trinity,ucd, near the city centre so it makes sense that way. Does the market in general tend to pick up in August?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

August is mayhem for student accommodation- if at all possible sort it before then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement