Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Etiquette for multiple marriages after death

• 28-07-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Is there one ? . you marry and live out a full life with husband or wife, raise a family together but they die, you are lucky enough to fall in love again and remarry , and then you both die, you and your two wives/husbands are in heaven,

whats happens ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

yammycat wrote: »
    Is there one ? . you marry and live out a full life with husband or wife, raise a family together but they die, you are lucky enough to fall in love again and remarry , and then you both die, you and your two wives/husbands are in heaven,

whats happens ?
    Awkward.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Snappy Smurf

The Question about the Resurrection.

Some Sadducees, those who deny that there is a resurrection, came forward and put this question to him, saying, “Teacher, Moses wrote for us, ‘If someone’s brother dies leaving a wife but no child, his brother must take the wife and raise up descendants for his brother.’

Now there were seven brothers; the first married a woman but died childless.

Then the second and the third married her, and likewise all the seven died childless.

Finally the woman also died.

Now at the resurrection whose wife will that woman be? For all seven had been married to her.”

Jesus said to them, “The children of this age marry and are given in marriage; but those who are deemed worthy to attain to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.

They can no longer die, for they are like angels; and they are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise.

That the dead will rise even Moses made known in the passage about the bush, when he called ‘Lord’ the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”

Some of the scribes said in reply, “Teacher, you have answered well.”

And they no longer dared to ask him anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

whats happens ?

I believe that for Mormons, the one remnant of their earlier polygamist teachings is that since marriages are eternal, if you remarry, then both wives will be forever.

For the rest of us, there seems little point in speculating I'd imagine. I'm sure it will be a surprise, and if there is a greeting cards industry in heaven, they'll take full advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

wow yammycat, you have no idea how interesting it is to hear a 2000 year old question prop up again here in 2012. Kind of shows how not-very-modern we are afterall. Human heart never changes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

whats happens ?

EDIT: Never mind, Snappy Smurf got their first. You can find this in Mark 12 also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

whats happens ?

no there isn't one (a problem). Marriage on earth is only a foretaste of the love we will all have for each other in heaven. So not only will you continue to love you wife, or husband, even in multiple, but you will love everyone else too. And all non-sexually, or rather in a chaste way which completes what our sexuality only points at - the fullness of union with god and the communion of the saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

bonniebede wrote: »
    no there isn't one (a problem). Marriage on earth is only a foretaste of the love we will all have for each other in heaven. So not only will you continue to love you wife, or husband, even in multiple, but you will love everyone else too. And all non-sexually, or rather in a chaste way which completes what our sexuality only points at - the fullness of union with god and the communion of the saints.

See this is speculation at best and as nice as it sounds it begets a question.
    What will we be doing with our bodies after the trumpet sounds, we are promised resurrection of the body, will we not eat? run? laugh? the 'other'? or will this new body be a different kind of body?
    Guess work, nothing to go on at all.
    Snappy Smurf;
    Some of the scribes said in reply, “Teacher, you have answered well.”

And they no longer dared to ask him anything.
    Ahh the days before Internet forums! wouldn't happen here ;)

tommy2bad wrote: »
    See this is speculation at best and as nice as it sounds it begets a question.
    What will we be doing with our bodies after the trumpet sounds, we are promised resurrection of the body, will we not eat? run? laugh? the 'other'? or will this new body be a different kind of body?
    Guess work, nothing to go on at all.

Ahh the days before Internet forums! wouldn't happen here ;)

no not speculation based on nothing.
    as previously mentioned jesus said 'The children of this age marry and are given in marriage; but those who are deemed worthy to attain to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.They can no longer die, for they are like angels; and they are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise.'

See? fairly clear and unambiguous. We don't marry after the resurrection.

Also , one can learn a lot from the accounts of Jesus in his resurrection body - he ate and drank, walked and talked, hung out on the beach:D - seems to be able to walk through locked doors but definitely no sex.

St Paul answers your question succinctly , he says yes, it is a different sort of body, it is a 'glorified' body, which does not die the way this one will.

Now when something is glorified, it must mean that the end for which it was created has been achieved. our sexuality has two purposes - union and procreation. After resurrection , there are no more new people born, as everyone God plans to create has been born already, hence no more sex for procreation - hence we are 'like the angels' in that.

THe aspect of union in our sexuality, which on earth is expressed through spousal love, is also glorified or brought to completion. Now in Ephesians 5 we read that the married couples love is an icon or a glimpse of the love that Christ has for the church. On earth it is confined to its expression between one man and one woman. But as we see in the book of the apocalypse, the final consummation is the wedding feast of the lamb. where what marriage prefigured is finally consummated between Christ and his bride the church. (apocalypse literally means the moment of unveiling at a wedding when the husband and wife come together for the marital act).

So this aspect of union which we are all created for, and which is expressed in our sexual nature, finds a supernatural fulfillment , beyond the natural fulfillment of married sexual love, in the union of god with his people.

I am expecting that to beyond anything i've ever experienced!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

but definitely no sex.

Can i have sex in hell ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Can i have sex in hell ?

Of course you can, after the acid enema, and its with Ron Jeremy :eek:

Grab your socks sweetheart!!!

• Advertisement

no there isn't one (a problem). Marriage on earth is only a foretaste of the love we will all have for each other in heaven. So not only will you continue to love you wife, or husband, even in multiple, but you will love everyone else too.

what if like you love extends to beyond the two legged variety .... Do they allow communal bliss for other beings like ...... and when you want variety can you change around and tap someone elses property like in a tag wrestling match?

Just curious? As long as they have beer, Dominos and cable TV I'll be grand

what if like you love extends to beyond the two legged variety .... Do they allow communal bliss for other beings like ...... and when you want variety can you change around and tap someone elses property like in a tag wrestling match?

Just curious? As long as they have beer, Dominos and cable TV I'll be grand

you are confusing love and sex here. No surprising in our culture, but try to think outside the box for a minute.

you are confusing love and sex here. No surprising in our culture, but try to think outside the box for a minute.

Love is expressed by sex
    Sex is an physical expression of love.

Maybe after a hard days work (10 hours) If I can come home to a beer and have a look at the box with out being interrupted for 2 hours I guess I am a happy guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Love is expressed by sex

Maybe after a hard days work (10 hours) If I can come home to a beer and have a look at the box with out being interrupted for 2 hours I guess I am a happy guy.

+1 for what sex is.

But work? in heaven? I'll be damned if I have to work in heaven!

tommy2bad wrote: »
    +1 for what sex is.

But work? in heaven? I'll be damned if I have to work in heaven!

Now Now there will be flexible shifts, free tea and coffee. Good selection in the canteen with fresh criossant or Danish or Pain au Chocolat and coffee before work. Targets will be reasonable and provided the quality is good. there will be a decent health care package with Dental benefit.

there will also be a decent loyalty discounts cards. Use of the company car and villa for Business After Hours. Come on they are recruiting already.

Mean while down in hell, the deep fat fryer in the canteen is broken and the chips are soggy and luke warm. Night shifts and weekend shifts are mandatory. VHI are running healthcare. loyalty cards dont extend beyond argos. they are recruiting also

Love is expressed by sex

not always.

sex can be an act of violence, not love.
    love can be expressed without sex, think parent and child.

the marital act is a sexual expression of love, but only because it includes other things as well as the physical act of sex, it includes fidelity, committment, openess to life, spiritual committment etc etc.

Well Obviously I have never gotten hot and heavy with plasma screen but I have cheated on my current brand of beer with a different brand.... its an open relationship......as far as that kind thing goes. Although I gave gotten jealous when someone else touches my beer .... I wonder if we are right for each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

So not only will you continue to love you wife, or husband, even in multiple, but you will love everyone else too.

but i don't love everyone else, in fact i have a strong distaste for many people here on earth, are you talking about brainwashing ?, I thought if you believe in Jesus Christ as your savior you would get into heaven, not that a brainwashed version of you would get into heaven who would love Dave the next door neighbor who lets his lawn run wild and has 3 1990's cars parked in his lawn turning to rust and decreasing the value of my house and 2 damn dogs who bark all day long, I could never love Dave

but i don't love everyone else, in fact i have a strong distaste for many people here on earth, are you talking about brainwashing ?, I thought if you believe in Jesus Christ as your savior you would get into heaven, not that a brainwashed version of you would get into heaven who would love Dave the next door neighbor who lets his lawn run wild and has 3 1990's cars parked in his lawn turning to rust and decreasing the value of my house and 2 damn dogs who bark all day long, I could never love Dave

I am Dave !! Got a Problem? lol

Advertisement