Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst and best busker?

Options
  • 28-07-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

There was a busker outside Brown Thomas who lost the crowd by being a total smartarse. When I got there, he had attracted a sizable crowd which blocked the street. He was a big confident man with what seemed like a great stage presence; I'd say he was either Australian or British (I'm not great at identifying accents).

He had a handsfree mike attached to him. He got some bystander to hold his unicycle and was asking the crowd to cheer but he just got a feeble response. To try to win the crowd, he approached two teenaged boys in the audience and told them that it's okay if they want to hold hands which embarrassed them. He repeatedly used foul language event hough there were lots of kids there. He quipped that it is no wonder there is a recession on in Ireland because everyone in Galway was so miserable. He continued to dish out the insults much to the bemusement of the crowd. He slagged off some French people too.

Good performers should know their audience but this guy was died on his feet.

At this stage, I became curious on how he was going to win the disillusioned crowd over. The guy holding the unicycle walked away which got the biggest laugh. The performer threatened not to do the show unless people gave him some good energy to which about 25% of the crowd dispersed.

As more people walked away, he then realised that he had lost the crowd and packed up hi s stuff. i never saw anything like it in my life. He didn't collect a cent either.

Anyone else see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Plenty of competition for the "worst busker ever" on Shop St these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The ones who bother me most are the ****ers who use amps.
    **** off, If I want to hear your whaling, I will stop and listen, you aren't exactly inconspicuous standing there with your guitar, you don't need a ****ing amp and microphone, bell end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Yeah I saw that guy earlier today, he was telling the crowd how much they should pay him, seemed a bit desperate tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe MuckSavage is playing Galway at the mo? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Seaneh wrote: »
    ... **** off, If I want to hear your whaling, ...
    Jeeze Seaneh, calm down, a mhaiceen, you'll bursht a blood-vessel an' then me and Jonneh and Maryeh'll have to cart you off to hospital on the Newcashtle Road.

Whaling is illegal for years man and onleh them Japanese crowd do it now and not on Shop Street because of the Guards.

See yeh later in the King's Head for porther, an' don't be goin' upsettin' yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why would anyone bother giving buskers money anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Esel wrote: »
    Maybe MuckSavage is playing Galway at the mo? :D

Feck ya! Was hoping nobody would come up with him till I finished reading the thread.
    This new guy will probably get a TV show soon.
    Saw the dude yesterday. Embarrassing.
    He isn't going to be the only one around for the next week.
    The guy who breaks the law by charging people to hop on his squiggly bike will probably arrive tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

**** off, If I want to hear your whaling, I will stop and listen, you aren't exactly inconspicuous standing there with your guitar, you don't need a ****ing amp and microphone, bell end.

Buskers who use amplification and/or backing tracks are cheats. If you aren't good enough to perform, don't add insult to injury by blaring your talentless muck at the highest notch.

And as for those long haired tools with the panpipes? Amps. Backing tracks. Crap tunes. Grrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Buskers who use amplification and/or backing tracks are cheats. If you aren't good enough to perform, don't add insult to injury by blaring your talentless muck at the highest notch.

And as for those long haired tools with the panpipes? Amps. Backing tracks. Crap tunes. Grrrrrrrrr
    I agree that some of these guys need to turn it down a notch, however using an amp is necessary for some instruments, not a case of not having talent.
    There was a guy rocking out with a electric guitar, amp and backing track near Easons yesterday he was good and enjoyable to watch, obviously talented to some degree.

I saw the guy with the unicycle too, he had attracted a sizable crowd; however funnily enough though I didn't bother waiting around to see his act as he was talking endless sh!te.
    I went for lunch in the cellar and after leaving 30 minutes later though the crowd was still around, I could be mistaken though.
    Did he not perform his act at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The ones who use backing tracks and try to sell CDs really pee me off as well.
    Seen one yesterday who toddled up the street to get a light for his cigarette but forgot to turn off his machine. It sounded the exact same as if he was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Pan Pipes, that is all.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Why would anyone bother giving buskers money anyway?
    Stupid question of the week!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

This isn't mean as a slight on all these people, merely a description, but I find the Roma gypsies to often be the worst. Usually sat there with a miserable head on them dragging a bow across as a violin, not really sure if even they think they can play. In the west of Ireland as well. Be like me standing in the streets of Rio or Barcelona trying to string together 3 kick-ups with a football.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Pan Pipes fellas get my vote too.

Terrible in every sense of the word, appauling tunes, way too loud and no consideration for anyone else or other buskers.

The funny thing is when you actually watch them playing...they are *really* into it.

I really do hope people get sick of them and the take the hint and move on for good. I've seen the same lads in Limerick too.

I love buskers, even the bad ones, they just add to a city's environment, and give a street a little character, but those lads just do my nut in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This whinge goes up to 11.
    One louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Pan Pipes fellas get my vote too.

.... I've seen the same lads in Limerick too.

I love buskers, even the bad ones, they just add to a city's environment, and give a street a little character, but those lads just do my nut in.

I've seen 'em, or guys who look and sound like 'em, on the other side of the world too. Suspect it's a franchise of sorts.

Back home we had a guy they called "Kenny Rogers" 'cos he looked like the original. Legal or not, the council took his amp off him 'cos of the complaints. So he stood there and "busked" by asking anyone who would listen to write to the mayor on his behalf. (He died last year, RIP.)

IMHO if someone's instrument needs an amp - they need to pick another instrument. Simples.

And is plinky-plonk man actually here this year? I haven't spotted him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yup saw him last weekend.

JustMary wrote: »
    I've seen 'em, or guys who look and sound like 'em, on the other side of the world too. Suspect it's a franchise of sorts.

Back home we had a guy they called "Kenny Rogers" 'cos he looked like the original. Legal or not, the council took his amp off him 'cos of the complaints. So he stood there and "busked" by asking anyone who would listen to write to the mayor on his behalf. (He died last year, RIP.)

IMHO if someone's instrument needs an amp - they need to pick another instrument. Simples.

And is plinky-plonk man actually here this year? I haven't spotted him yet.

It's not a franchise, it's just a ton of poor peruvians who figured out they could make a ton of money going city to city, country to country for a few months a year busking at festivles and busy periods and selling cd's.

They aren't even on the cd's themselves, it's just generic panpipe music.

Clever hoors really.

I've seen them all over europe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Anyone know what happened to the Romanian busker who used to wear the Irish Rugby jacket?

He'd be sitting on a small seat outside River Island (usually) every day and night a few years ago but haven't seen him in ages. Just remembered him recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

Chap thats outside elverys corbett court every weekend and only ever plays wonderwall and folsom prison blues, badly. All day long, same two feckin tunes, all day long. Same two tunes.......all day long.

Best ones Ive seen in a long time are the guys that have a hand drum, bodhrán, diddgereedoo and a woman tap dancing. Top notch stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Stupid question of the week!!!!

Well maybe you would like to enlighten me as to why you are calling me stupid for voicing my opinion.
    It maybe an internet forum but politeness costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Whatever happened to the guy who used to busk outside the old Claddagh Palace back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

galwayrush wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the guy who used to busk outside the old Claddagh Palace back in the day?

Ahhh Terry Smith. He lives in Castle Park. What a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

There were two shocking female singers on Shop St. today outside AIB.

Thought my ears might bleed.

Totally agree with this.If you have to use an amp where you don't need one (Bass, Electric guitar etc) then you have failed as a busker. There's so many chancers that have come out the woodwork this year that have brought the quality down. I feel so bad for the people that play out there in the pouring rain all through the year only to have their spots taken by these fuc*ing chancers as soon as the weather (and the crowds) finally improves.

Backing track singers.....f*ck off!

Your man who stands outside Taffes shop singing the Sinatra type stuff is the absolute worst.

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

Your man who stands outside Taffes shop singing the Sinatra type stuff is the absolute worst.

Is that the guy with the longish hair and the suit? He's a really sweet lad, not the full shillin' if ya get me. He's supposed to be quite a good artist though. He's in shopping where I work a lot.

My least favourite buskers are as follows:
    1. Clodagh whatsername with the backing track and the moooooaaaning. Every feckin day lately. And who do you think you aaaare running round leavin scaaaaars collectin your jar of hearts.... ugh FML
    2. The black bongo drummer. He's so rude and it's relentless.
    3. Saxophone guy who sits on the bollards.
    4. That big band, with the brass section, who were there during the week. I think they only came for the arts fest though.
    5. Panpipes.
    6. Anyone with a didgeridoo or any other relentlessy noisy "instrument".
    That's all I can think of for now.

Anyone know where I work yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

The bongos can be awful crap, I remember sitting outside Taaffes with a pint once while a load of them sat outside Easons or whatever and just played the exact same 'tune' for an hour.

Generally though I'm usually just walking along Shop St so none of it really bothers me much. Your man with the banjo who sings Raglan Road etc is exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

My least favourite is a guy in his twenties, always wears shorts and has a guitar and a mini one. Bad singer, and theres just something about him that irritates me.

Oh and I also hate the statue guy thats painted silver, umbrellas made to look like crows etc.

Advertisement