Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst and best busker?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

Vodkat wrote: »
    My least favourite is a guy in his twenties, always wears shorts and has a guitar and a mini one. Bad singer, and theres just something about him that irritates me.

Ah yes, we call him Boardshorts. He's annoying but at least he has no amp or backing track. I always think he sings too quickly, because he's trying his best to keep warm. He wears shorts no matter the weather or time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Anyone know where I work yet?

Do you sell amplifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Vodkat wrote: »
    My least favourite is a guy in his twenties, always wears shorts and has a guitar and a mini one. Bad singer, and theres just something about him that irritates me.

Ahh, I think in polite circles it's called a ukulele :D

He's far from the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Saw that guy on Saturday - was there for the part where he said that Australia has no recession cos they have so much energy there and no wonder we are in a recession with our lack of energy / passion. Then he looked like he was giving up and walking off. Part of his act or was he actually annoyed I wonder? Either way he was a pain and I kept on walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Think we all got a bit spoilt with the days of Rodrigo Y Gabriela busking on Shop St

*reminiscences*

ahhh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

The average age of buskers today was about 8 years old. It's shockin bad this year.

Did ye see the two beours singing to backing tracks outside Lynchs Castle at the weekend?I've been to better drunk Karaoke's. They were there ALL day. Even had the feckin kids with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

3. Saxophone guy who sits on the bollards.

Him!

All he ever plays is the first two lines of Moondance, badly, over and over.

It's like he comes from some Van Morrison-themed circle of hell.

He's like the Mariah Carey of Sax players. Playing 8 notes where one is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Johnny Massacre RIP 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Didnt see Wonderwall guy today.

He drives me nuts, he's crap and only has those two songs. Now if he could even play them well....

Must be making a fair bit though otherwise he'd stop.

• Advertisement

Is that the guy that can't sing AT ALL?Even the Sinatra lad is better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's not a franchise, it's just a ton of poor peruvians who figured out they could make a ton of money going city to city, country to country for a few months a year busking at festivles and busy periods and selling cd's

Is that the story there? We have them in Dublin too, more synthesizers, backing tracks and amps than a small Pink Floyd gig, all decked out in native American gear. They sometimes have Irish women groupies too, they look ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is that the story there? We have them in Dublin too, more synthesizers, backing tracks and amps than a small Pink Floyd gig, all decked out in native American gear. They sometimes have Irish women groupies too, they look ridiculous.

Not native american, they are either Quechua or Aymara, probably Quechua, I've chatted to a few of them, all of them have been peruanos.

Nice lads really.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

The quality of buskers seems to have gone down over the years. There was one guy on high st on saturday who was ok, but other than that it was awful.

The only good regulars in galway these days seem to be the two dudes who sing and play the guitar while balancing on top of the bollards. They are usually opposite Easons or so. They are fairly good musically and the balancing thing adds a bit of novelty.

The quality of buskers seems to have gone down over the years. There was one guy on high st on saturday who was ok, but other than that it was awful.

The only good regulars in galway these days seem to be the two dudes who sing and play the guitar while balancing on top of the bollards. They are usually opposite Easons or so. They are fairly good musically and the balancing thing adds a bit of novelty.

Mikey and the scallywags? I've always hated them, don't know why really.

I also despise the Atlantic Pirates. Do not need hours and hours of rebel/dublinerish songs TYVM

I also despise the Atlantic Pirates. TYVM

Edit

drum! wrote: »
    The shtate of that banjo player....

Is that the one with the really deep voice? I don't pay enough attention to them to know which one is playing the banjo really... My workmate fancies the ginger one. She wants to have ginger babies with him. Freak

Yeah the ginger one, with the world's most open button down shirt.

Ah yeah, the ginger guy doesn't have the deep voice, it's the short dark haired guy. I don't like Ginjo at all at all, but that half open shirt thing seems to be working for him, considering he has more than one admirer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Why would anyone bother giving buskers money anyway?

Dead right Sir. Sure feck all that artsy farty stuff and people bursting their bollic to entertain people with no obligation and all that. I've got my Chris Rea tapes and a slab'o'beer Txt me. x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Well maybe you would like to enlighten me as to why you are calling me stupid for voicing my opinion.
    It maybe an internet forum but politeness costs nothing.
    I was not calling you stupid, I was calling your post stupid. A huge amount of musicians cut their teeth performing on the street, many of them extremely talented people. Saying you can't understand why people would give them money is like saying you can't understand why people bother paying into a gig. If someone enjoys the music, why shouldn't they give money for it

Agreed. And a lovely lovely man too. Can't believe it's almost ten years since he died!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That last post was in response to the "best busker" OP (Johnny Massacre), merged into this thread.

Note that making over the top comments about persons in the public eye (you single them out but hide yourself behind an anonymous internet account) is not ok.
    I was not calling you stupid, I was calling your post stupid.
    Galwaybabe, cop on. No need to try to semanticize things now

FTR Biko, I was not semanticising. I was differentiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

worst busker has to be the wonderwall guy :D
    as in thats all he plays...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

skinny90 wrote: »
    worst busker has to be the wonderwall guy :D
    as in thats all he plays...

Really? I just assumed that I just happened to be passing him whenever he plays it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

ciano1 wrote: »
    Really? I just assumed that I just happened to be passing him whenever he plays it!

You must pass him by a lot then, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The most obscure busker I ever saw was a guy who sang repeatedly "only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before..." for hours on end.

In a strange way, he was brilliant. He had a powerful voice and he played it with a guitar. And he had no need for an amp.

I'm sure that the people who worked within a 20 meter radius of him probably had nightmares about him that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

The worst one for the passed couple of weeks, has to be the guy with the loud backing track who taps away on the bodhrain occasionally. He is good for chatting to the tourists though, so maybe that makes it OK, and he is always happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Jamey wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the Romanian busker who used to wear the Irish Rugby jacket?

He'd be sitting on a small seat outside River Island (usually) every day and night a few years ago but haven't seen him in ages. Just remembered him recently.

If it's the same man who used to switch instantaneously to 'La Bamba' on request, he is back in town just yesterday and will be around for a couple of weeks.

Advertisement