Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hostile environment reportage

• 28-07-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I know around the forum we have some people with interest in Syria and its affairs of the moment and I came across this story. Here's two photographers who it appears got lucky. Rescued/saved by the rebels.

It appears an interesting insight. Their caravan (convoy?) went left, they went right. Wrong move. With no rule of law present they ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. No Canon was going to match the kalashnikovs (see what I did...... :rolleyes:)

Although all's well that ends well, I have always been struck by the amazing individuals who put themselves in that position to document and report and record for history and truth as can be garnished through the lens of a camera.

assume you haven't your current commitments (if you have) and as a photographer/aspiring photographer, would you do it? - what kind of person does it take?

Comments

I'd do it in a heartbeat!

It'd be an amazing experience. I realise there's the chance of being killed or seriously injured (I'd rather be killed than seriously injured, truth be told) but I think that the vast majority of photo/video people generally seem to do okay over there.

I know you see a lot of it on the web and such, but I think that if you were just plonked in the middle of it, it'd be a surreal experience, and something you'd remember for the rest of your life (be that a good or bad thing). I'd jump at the chance, personally.

I'm not sure how it works with photographers though - But you'd really want to be getting paid a decent wage for your stay (rather than having to hope you'll sell photos to media during it). So I'd imagine most photographers or such would be there on behalf of a media outlet (or country/army)?

I believe the USA actually allow photographers (to a certain extent) to travel with them, don't they? But if you go with them (the US Army) you're not really allowed to do anything and have to stay with them at all times and pretty much only see what they allow you to see? Or am I mixing that up with something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Hi
    I saw this posted a day or two ago, have been thinking about it since.
    Firstly, to answer the last bit - What kind of person does it take ? - That's simple - it takes a person without commitments. Therfore freedom do do as they see fit without secondary consequences at home.

But the first part - Assuming no commitments, Yes I would do it.
    It starts off as wanting to photograph, then wanting to travel, then seeing something you want to communicate - backpackers have been doing it for years with writing diaries, nowadays blogs - eventually becoming journalists.
    Photo-journalists are just photographers seeing something with a different story.

Would I go into a war zone/region ... Yes.. if I had no commitments !

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

Interesting thread.

I have already decided to travel to Damascus and other parts of Syria as soon as the reigme falls. Having been to Syria a few times already it breaks my heart to see the innocent people being, quite frankly, slaughtered day after day as every other nation stands by and watches. The day will come, hopefully soon, and I will do my best to be there in the streets to capture the cries of joy and relieved faces.

HOWEVER I will have connections! - my bother reported from there for the last 5 years coming home last march when it got too dangerous (just had his book released : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0721/1224320499038.html

I admit Id never have the guts to go in there now. Hats off to photographers there atm. Their work is invaluable to telling the story of whats really going on in there and they risk their lives with every day they spend there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If I had the money id go on my own behalf. Wouldn't even need to be paid. That can come later if I get good photos.

I read the bang bang club book awhile ago and in that, Joao Silva said it was about being on the edge of history and being there to document it. You know we sit here in Ireland and other countries but complain about stupid things while in other parts of the world people are killed day in and day out by their own rulers/governments. I want to see the world for how it really is. Going on holiday to some people would be going to Tenerife for 2 weeks. I would love to go to india and live in squalor and dirt for a month and have an experience.

But yeah, id go in a heartbeat if I had the money available.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

That John Cantile is a great photographer. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

AnCatDubh wrote: »

assume you haven't your current commitments (if you have) and as a photographer/aspiring photographer, would you do it? - what kind of person does it take?

Impossible to answer truthfully as we can only speculate.

Fact is that most of us are chicken sh*ts and would talk the talk but couldn't back it up and stay at home.

mrboswell wrote: »

Fact is that most of us are chicken sh*ts and would talk the talk but couldn't back it up and stay at home.

You won't know til you try and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Boards photowalk anybody... ?

No - I can answer truthfully.
    I have been in 2 war zones,(not I might add in the middle of a war....on the fringe only) plus have seen the ruination from within of 2 other countries post conflict.
    I was working there in a different capacity, the camera was in the pouch, but not the prime reason. 20+ years ago, I could drop things and go - no needing to ask Q's or permissions.

Life moves on, responsibilities grow ... But IF as OP said, there were no other commitments - then YES. I would go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Diesel wrote: »
    No - I can answer truthfully.
    I have been in 2 war zones,(not I might add in the middle of a war....on the fringe only) plus have seen the ruination from within of 2 other countries post conflict.
    I was working there in a different capacity, the camera was in the pouch, but not the prime reason. 20+ years ago, I could drop things and go - no needing to ask Q's or permissions.

Life moves on, responsibilities grow ... But IF as OP said, there were no other commitments - then YES. I would go.

But as the OP said "IF"... its a big if...
    If there were no other commitments you may have ended up on a beach waiting for the surf to pick up. My point is that no one knows.

Anyway I think its something that most people can't do and for those who can it not for a sustained period, no purely due to the chance of being killed but it would just break most people. James Nachtway seems so cold and maybe thats why he can still do it.
    Others have found that they can't live with what they experienced and end their lives.

As I said its not for everyone, whether they want to do it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

James Nachtway seems so cold and maybe thats why he can still do it.
    Others have found that they can't live with what they experienced and end their lives.

As I said its not for everyone, whether they want to do it or not.

And that is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I'll be back to my regiment before christmas (queens royal hussars) but have to fulfill a 12 year contract this time. I stand a good chance of getting out at 8 years but regardless I'll be pursuing the combat photographer course within regiment. Even before I get posted to that I'd probably have completed 2 tours and will be looking through a viewfinder as much as a SUSAT. :) I'll be posting here again when I'm settled.

Ultimate objective with recruitment this time is to build a portfolio, combat experience and then feel comfortable and confident enough to freelance.

Safe travel !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I'll be back to my regiment before christmas (queens royal hussars) but have to fulfill a 12 year contract this time. I stand a good chance of getting out at 8 years but regardless I'll be pursuing the combat photographer course within regiment. Even before I get posted to that I'd probably have completed 2 tours and will be looking through a viewfinder as much as a SUSAT. :) I'll be posting here again when I'm settled.

Ultimate objective with recruitment this time is to build a portfolio, combat experience and then feel comfortable and confident enough to freelance.

At least you can shoot first and then take the pictures :)

Advertisement