Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to read a Stephen King book....

Options
  • 29-07-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Decided it is time to give one a go. It's a genre I've never really explored before.

Which book would you recommend for a first timer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Decided it is time to give one a go. It's a genre I've never really explored before.

Which book would you recommend for a first timer?

Thanks.

I recommend any of his earlier books, just pick one that seems intresting to you, for the newer books I recommend Duma key and under the dome. I know they didnt get good rewiews but I really enjoyed them.

Actually I think the first book of his I read was thinner, it must of been good as I read all of books after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Misery is excellent, if disturbing. Cujo is gripping and an incredible psychological thriller.

But for something not quite as stereotypically King-esque, try The Green Mile or Different Seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

I thing the first Stephen King book I read was The Eyes of The Dragon, really liked it. The Green Mile and The Shinning are also very good books. I also quite enjoyed the first few of his Dark Tower series (I got bored 3/4 the way through, must revisit them). His short stories are very good. King is a great writer, but I find a lot of his books drawn out, and laborious to read and lacking in good endings, but that's down to personal taste and shouldn't put you off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Salem's Lot should be your first one,a top notch read.
    Later try The Stand,a must read IMO.Along with The Green Mile,these are my favourites by King.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 November One

His early work seems to be unanimously praised but I decided to give his newest one a go a while back and was blown away by much I enjoyed it. It's called 11/22/63 and is basically about a teacher who goes back in time to try and prevent the Kennedy assassination. Completely different to anything he's ever written but still has a distinctly "Stephen King" feel to it.

Got very good reviews too from what I remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11/22/63

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I read Salem's Lot first too, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭polarbearhead

Different Seasons has the short stories of Stand by Me, The Shawshank Redemption and Apt Pupil in it, brilliant read. The Dead Zone and the Bachmann books are excellent too

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

Seconding the recommendation for Different Seasons - four fantastic novellas - always found that some of his books drag a bit (e.g. The Stand), but this length suits him really well. Also Misery or Carrie, or Nightshift if you like short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Eyes of the Dragon, it has a lovely fairytale vibe to it. One of favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Carrie or one of the Bachmann stories. They're probably my favourites of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Cheers for the replies guys. I think I will start off with Different Seasons and follow it with Salem's Lot as soon as I finish my current venture....

Many thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Please say you havent seen the film "IT" (rubbbbbiissssshhhhhh)

Read "IT" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I like Pet Sematary. Creepy stuff.

I like Pet Sematary. Creepy stuff.

Very disturbing :( I'd blanked it out of my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dr.Zeus

Some of his older books (from the 80's) don't read so well now. He's cartainly changed his style of writing over the years. From his early stuff I'd absolutely pick Salem's Lot as a typical horror. From his recent work I would have to say Under The Dome

(though the Simpsons did a much better version of a town encased in a huge dome :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

+1 on Under the Dome - excellent read.

The Stand, Desperation and Needful things and also well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I've never read anything from Stephen King before but I started Under the Dome a couple of days ago....I'm normally a slower reader so only about 80-100 pages in but its good so far.

I think I have a good idea about what the premise of the book is (i.e. good v evil) but is it a horror like his earlier stuff or just disturbing\unsettling? I don't like searching for summaries because they usually give too much away - I just want to know whats in store for me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Chucken wrote: »
    Very disturbing :( I'd blanked it out of my mind.

Indeed. It's my favourite of his books that I've read. It's certainly a disturbing one though.

What about Geralds Game? Now theres a wierd book!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭van damme

I'm going through a bit of a Stephen King phase at the moment since I got my Kindle a few months ago - starting to read all his long books (which are not as big / heavy on a Kindle)!!
    I started with 11-22-63 and really enjoyed that.
    Finished The Stand about a week ago - a really excellent book, despite it's length. Probably my favourite Stephen King book.
    I'm going to get stuck into Under the Dome next week.

I've previously read Pet Sematary, IT and The Shining - of all these, I'd recommend IT the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Pet sematary would be my favourite- loved needful things as well. Currently reading 112263

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

I've never read anything from Stephen King before but I started Under the Dome a couple of days ago....I'm normally a slower reader so only about 80-100 pages in but its good so far.

I think I have a good idea about what the premise of the book is (i.e. good v evil) but is it a horror like his earlier stuff or just disturbing\unsettling? I don't like searching for summaries because they usually give too much away - I just want to know whats in store for me! :)

I'm nearing the finale of Under the Done at the moment. It's certainly not a horror novel and while there are some disturbing elements to the story I would regard it more of a psychological exploration. Not a million miles away from 'Desperation' actually however a much better read IMO. There are a huge amount of characters to get to know though but if you keep the pace down and read regularly it's not so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm nearing the finale of Under the Done at the moment. It's certainly not a horror novel and while there are some disturbing elements to the story I would regard it more of a psychological exploration. Not a million miles away from 'Desperation' actually however a much better read IMO. There are a huge amount of characters to get to know though but if you keep the pace down and read regularly it's not so bad.

Eh? "Desperation" is classic, supernatural King. Under the Dome is nothing like it. They're both excellent books but I don't think they could be further from eachother in terms of plot, subtext or tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

I've only read 'IT' and I really didn't like it - though it had some great parts and nice characters. But it was way drawn out and too weird for me at times, something about a rainbow tortoise or something.
    Might have been good if you were on LSD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Eh? "Desperation" is classic, supernatural King. Under the Dome is nothing like it. They're both excellent books but I don't think they could be further from eachother in terms of plot, subtext or tone.

Actually in hindsight I probably agree with you more. I think it was more the 'getting cut off from the rest of the world' situation than anything else. Yes. Both good reads.

I read 11.22.63 recently also and I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I love the idea of what could happen if you could travel back in time and the whole Butterfly Effect of small changes that you could perpetrate. Probably comes from my love for the Back to the Future films of my youth. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

'Stephen King' isn't a genre...

But if I were to start with a book, I'd start with The Shining, Salem's Lot or The Gunslinger. Something like IT or The Stand are some of his more bloated works and not as easy to get through (The Stand in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

IT was one of the worst books I've ever read. I was so disappointed. The genuinely creepy parts were so diluted by all the mindless crap in between. The only Derry interlude worth reading was the last one.

It put my off his books for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I thought It was one of his best, along with salems lot, thinner and the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

The Stand is my favorite :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement