Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damning Indictment of Ireland's Attitude Towards Alcohol

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

mathepac wrote: »
    Is that a bit like a reformed cancer patient, or a reformed manic depressive, or a reformed assault victim?
    because alcoholism is an...illness??? waytafukwillya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Pottler wrote: »
    because alcoholism is an...illness??? waytafukwillya

Alcoholism is not an illness. Its a form of weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

IrishAm wrote: »
    Alcoholism is not an illness. Its a form of weakness.

That's daft.
    Giving up alcohol, now that's a sign of weakness. Too weak to handle booze. :pac:

That's daft.
    Giving up alcohol, now that's a sign of weakness. Too weak to handle booze. :pac:

Depends how much you are chugging each night. If you go out and can't go home until you are smashed, you have the beginning of a problem. Which can exasperate out of control if left unchecked.

And it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Erdinger Non-Alcoholic tastes nice - at least it's easily the nicest of the non-alcoholic beers.

If people are against "non-alcoholic beer" they might as well be against decaffeinated coffee. It's a bit thick, given that there is much more to the taste of both beer and coffee than alcohol and caffeine.

For that matter, try tasting pure alcohol and you'll get the idea. In fact, why are you having an "alcoholic" beer that's 95% non-alcoholic? :rolleyes:

If anybody really thinks the point of drinking alcohol is to get drunk, rather than to help them relax, they've got problems.

Seanchai wrote: »
    Erdinger Non-Alcoholic tastes nice - at least it's easily the nicest of the non-alcoholic beers.

Exactly. If you want a few tasty beers, but want to remain sober enough to drive home, quality non alcoholic beers are the way to go.
    Seanchai wrote: »
    If anybody really thinks the point of drinking alcohol is to get drunk, rather than to help them relax, they've got problems.

Its quite easy to become a social alcoholic in Ireland and indeed, many countries, in the western world. I should know, I am one. "Ah, hes a laugh on the gargul". "Hes just having a good time".

Once you earn your own cash, don't cause problems when you drink and pull women, you don't have a problem. Supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Sorry for the long thread title firstly...

So onto the topic at hand, Ireland and its attitude towards drink.

I went into town today with a mate, we went to a pub and set out in the sun and we grabbed a beer each.

I got an alcohol free beer, and my mate got an alcoholic beer. To which he turned to me and said

I told him I bought it because I liked how it tasted and that was the most important thing to me. He rolled his eyes and said I was wasting my money on it.

To me it was a ridiculous attitude to have. I made a choice to have a drink I enjoyed and because it was alcohol free it was stupid.

I think what I'm getting at, is the people in this country are so obsessed with alcohol, they will only drink to get drunk and taste isn't important where as my approach is, to drink something that I enjoy the taste of...

Sorry if I'm not getting my point across in the most coherent manner, but the more and more I think about it and more annoyed by the whole thing I am...

P.S It was an Alcohol Free Erdinger I was drinking today

It says more about your friend's insecurities about his drinking than the Irish people as a whole.

It says more about your friend's insecurities about his drinking than the Irish people as a whole.

It was probably an oft the cuff remark. I suspect its the norm in some social circles.

Off topic, as an Irish convert to Islam, do you still have the occasional sup?

It was probably an oft the cuff remark. I suspect its the norm in some social circles.

Off topic, as an Irish convert to Islam, do you still have the occasional sup?

Not a sup has passed my lips for 5 years! I do drink non-alcoholic lager though, still like the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Something is wrong with your mate, alcohol free erdinger is minging

Something is wrong with your mate, alcohol free erdinger is minging

Maybe it was becks!

Not a sup has passed my lips for 5 years! I do drink non-alcoholic lager though, still like the taste.

That's cool. Do strict muslims venture into Irish pubs? It it the main hub of social interaction at weekends, after all.

Completely off topic here, but I pass by the Mosque on the SCR at least twice a week. Some of my buddy's have played five aside against lads who congregate there.

Would an average Dub be welcome inside, purely as a curious outsider?

I would like to. As I know the square root of fuck all about Islam. Or would it be dodgy?

That's cool. Do strict muslims venture into Irish pubs? It it the main hub of social interaction at weekends, after all.

Completely off topic here, but I pass by the Mosque on the SCR at least twice a week. Some of my buddy's have played five aside against lads who congregate there.

Would an average Dub be welcome inside, purely as a curious outsider?

I would like to. As I know the square root of fuck all about Islam. Or would it be dodgy?

Strict Muslims wouldn't go near a pub. Some won't eat in a restaurant that servers alcohol. It's not just the alcohol which is a problem for them, but the behaviour of people when they are drunk. I am used to it so it doesn't bother me, I meet my friends in the pub when I am home (don't live in Ireland anymore).

As for going into the mosque, I'd highly recommend it, you will be very welcome. The lads love seeing non-Muslims come in and should make you feel very welcome. If you have any questions just ask and they will be happy to explain to you, they will even be happy to answer any tough questions you may have and hopefully clarify any misconceptions about Islam you might have. Don't forget to take off your shoes before you go into the prayer hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

I liked how it tasted and that was the most important thing to me. He rolled his eyes and said I was wasting my money on it.

No wonder he was rolling his eyes

Beer dosnt taste nice

Fanta Tastes nice

Tea taste nice

Water tastes nice

etc.

Beer is there to get drunk. Your not meant to taste it

Non-alcoholic beers is for alcoholics

The hint is in the name!!!

Strict Muslims wouldn't go near a pub. Some won't eat in a restaurant that servers alcohol. It's not just the alcohol which is a problem for them, but the behaviour of people when they are drunk.

Gotcha. In fairness though, the Irish rarely get drunk and act obnoxious in restaurants. We happily pay five euro for a bit of a sliced bread roll covered in garlic and then toasted.;)

We act the bollix in bars/clubs. We accept poor standards in restaurants.
    I am used to it so it doesn't bother me, I meet my friends in the pub when I am home (don't live in Ireland anymore).

That's sweet as. The pub is a social hub, so everyone should welcome. Even non drinkers.
    As for going into the mosque, I'd highly recommend it, you will be very welcome. The lads love seeing non-Muslims come in and should make you feel very welcome.

Its purely as an inquisitive local. Growing up, I rarely if ever heard of Islam. I now hear of it through the media. But I would much prefer to meet the people, instead of using the media for my interpretation of the people. If that makes sense? For what its worth, me mates had a great time with the muslims(Turks) whom they played against. They were invited back to the SCR for a bite to eat.

Is that true? The mosque supplies food for all?

If you have any questions just ask and they will be happy to explain to you, they will even be happy to answer any tough questions you may have and hopefully clarify any misconceptions about Islam you might have. Don't forget to take off your shoes before you go into the prayer hall!

Yeah, I watched Ian O'D's show on RTE when he engaged with muslims and lived amongst them when I returned back home to Dublin. In fairness though, he was squaring for an argument. Both sides didn't come off too well.

I would like to experience and engage with every day muslims for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

OP with a name like 'a sober paddy' i'm guessing you're a militant tea-totaler and possible ex alcoholic who likes going round pontificating to people about their drinking habits. In short, the worst person to go to the pub with.

Its purely as an inquisitive local. Growing up, I rarely if ever heard of Islam. I now hear of it through the media. But I would much prefer to meet the people, instead of using the media for my interpretation of the people. If that makes sense? For what its worth, me mates had a great time with the muslims(Turks) whom they played against. They were invited back to the SCR for a bite to eat.

Muslims are just like anyone else, there is no mystery. We go to work, watch football, worry about our kids, try to do the best for our families, enjoy the weekends, etc etc. There are good and bad Musims, the same as there are good and bad non-Muslims.
    Is that true? The mosque supplies food for all?
    The food is not usually free, except during Ramadan (which it is now) many mosques will provide a free meal to people breaking their fast.

There is a small restaurant in SCR Mosque, you have to pay for the food but as they invited you, and in line with Turkish culture I expect they would have paid for the food.

Yeah, I watched Ian O'D's show on RTE when he engaged with muslims and lived amongst them when I returned back home to Dublin. In fairness though, he was squaring for an argument. Both sides didn't come off too well.

I was not too impressed by that programme. And if i remember correctly, didn't they drag out that guy again who is the most extreme version of an Irish convert to Islam? He actually does so much damage to the image of Muslims and I would say turns so many people off the religion.

Anyway, I've just started my fast and am off to bed now. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Beer dosnt taste nice

Fanta Tastes nice

Tea taste nice

Water tastes nice

etc.

Beer is there to get drunk. Your not meant to taste it

Non-alcoholic beers is for alcoholics

The hint is in the name!!!

You must be a new drinker! After years of drinking beer it is nice to taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

There is alot off alcoholics on boards tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I live amongst a lot of them on the terrace and have no problem with them, Most of them are decent good people, A lot more interested in their religion than us but lots of them drink too or smoke Weed, No different to anyone else really, Very diverse group of Muslim's here from all parts of the world so they have varying attitudes to their faith.

Its a dangerous enough area here but the vast majority of trouble is from our own, Surprise surprise.. Any of the very religious Muslims don't put in or out with anyone and as far as I know the more religious ones never drink or do drugs.

Good neighbours in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Festy wrote: »
    There is alot off alcoholics on boards tonight.

I'm feeling Supersonic give me Gin & Tonic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

non alcoholic beers still contain like 0.5% alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I've found Irish people can be highly suspicious of a non-drinker. I haven't really drunk alcohol regularly since before I was pregnant in 2005. Mostly through choice, but I just don't have the cash to be honest. I often go out with friends, and I'll drive to and from the pub (another reason to not drink - I live in the middle of nowhere and taxis cost an absolute fortune!) and more often than not, I'll be interviewed at length as to why I'm not drinking.

"Have you college/placement in the morning?" ... no, I just don't want to drink.
    "Oh, are you sick?" .... no, I just don't want to drink.
    "You must be pregnant then!" ... no, not pregnant, I just don't want to drink.
    "Ah, what's the matter that you aren't drinking?" .... back to square one, repeat to each person ad nauseum. I invariably become the designated driver, but I don't mind that.

I think, when I was in my 20's, I probably thought that there was something strange about my peers not drinking. I drank plenty whenever I did go out but that I suppose is the joy of being in your early 20's and well able to deal with hangovers. At the lofty age of 31, I drink probably 3-4 times a year if that. I don't miss it at all... I do find it curious that Irish people still, in this enlightened age, cannot understand the logic and/or motives of the non-drinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

My only problem with drinking with a non drinker is if they are the camera carrying variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Beer dosnt taste nice

Fanta Tastes nice

Tea taste nice

Water tastes nice

etc.

Beer is there to get drunk. Your not meant too taste it!!!
    such a load of bull$hit I've never read before. How old are you, 10?!!

Of course you're supposed to taste it!!! You clearly know little about beer.

Is it any wonder we have such a problem with alcohol in Ireland when immature clowns like you are in the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

embee wrote: »
    I've found Irish people can be highly suspicious of a non-drinker. I haven't really drunk alcohol regularly since before I was pregnant in 2005. Mostly through choice, but I just don't have the cash to be honest. I often go out with friends, and I'll drive to and from the pub (another reason to not drink - I live in the middle of nowhere and taxis cost an absolute fortune!) and more often than not, I'll be interviewed at length as to why I'm not drinking.

"Have you college/placement in the morning?" ... no, I just don't want to drink.
    "Oh, are you sick?" .... no, I just don't want to drink.
    "You must be pregnant then!" ... no, not pregnant, I just don't want to drink.
    "Ah, what's the matter that you aren't drinking?" .... back to square one, repeat to each person ad nauseum. I invariably become the designated driver, but I don't mind that.

I think, when I was in my 20's, I probably thought that there was something strange about my peers not drinking. I drank plenty whenever I did go out but that I suppose is the joy of being in your early 20's and well able to deal with hangovers. At the lofty age of 31, I drink probably 3-4 times a year if that. I don't miss it at all... I do find it curious that Irish people still, in this enlightened age, cannot understand the logic and/or motives of the non-drinker.

I met one person who didn't drink. Well two, actually. One just didn't want to drink and the other didn't like the taste of the drinks he had.

I find their choices to be perfectly logical.
    On the other hand, they're constantly bombarded with puzzled looks and questions of "why don't you drink? What's wrong with you".
    It is really the attitude of "you have to drink" on a night out that's baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

LaVail wrote: »
    I think you're blowing this out of proportion op.
    The Guards, paramedics and nurses in A&E staff on a Saturday night would disagree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Pottler wrote: »
    Alcohol-free beer is like going down on your sister. It tastes the same, but deep down, you know it's wrong.

Not even close. It's like going down on the inflatable doll version of your sister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

No it was alcohol free of that I'm certain...

Non-alcoholic beer contains alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Nothing like doing 150 on the motorway and taking a swig of alcohol free beer each time you pass out a car.

Or even stopped in traffic on a sunny day with the window half down take a swig. Mighty stuff. Shiny '12-D people carrier coming towards you with a yummy mummy, dad and 3 children in the car, take two swigs, make sure they can see you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

OP with a name like 'a sober paddy' i'm guessing you're a militant tea-totaler and possible ex alcoholic who likes going round pontificating to people about their drinking habits. In short, the worst person to go to the pub with.

You should read the thread, I'm not an ex alcoholic nor a tea-totaler.

I've cut back on drinking since the turn of the year, I've drank alcohol on 5 occasions this year, and to be honest only 2 times was by my choice the other 3 three were pretty much me just giving in so I'd not have to listen to some of my mates(these are mates I'm currently phasing out)

@Jimminy Mc Fukhead
    I'm also aware that alcohol-free beer still has a small amount of alcohol, lower levels than that found in root-beer which is sold has a soda in Oz, the States & Here in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

*sigh*
    I don't drink a lot when I go out, many nights I never drink anything at all (Friday in Krystle for instance, didn't have one beer). It's because it brings out a depressed and angry w@nker in me, unfortunately, not a fun lad.
    I don't, however, roll my eyes at other people who DO choose to get drunk.

Nothing wrong with deciding not to drink, just for the love of God don't develop a "superior" attitude about it.

why is everything a "damning indictment" lately

how about a damning indictment of our vocab

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

You should read the thread, I'm not an ex alcoholic nor a tea-totaler.

I've cut back on drinking since the turn of the year, I've drank alcohol on 5 occasions this year, and to be honest only 2 times was by my choice the other 3 three were pretty much me just giving in so I'd not have to listen to some of my mates(these are mates I'm currently phasing out)

@Jimminy Mc Fukhead
    I'm also aware that alcohol-free beer still has a small amount of alcohol, lower levels than that found in root-beer which is sold has a soda in Oz, the States & Here in Ireland

you sound like too much fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

bluewolf wrote: »
    why is everything a "damning indictment" lately

how about a damning indictment of our vocab
    That response is a damning indictment of your attitude to After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You must be a new drinker! After years of drinking beer it is nice to taste!
    You have to become accustomed to the taste and most people probably wouldn't put the time into becoming accustomed if they weren't going to end up drunk at the end of it. It's also likely we come to like the taste because we associate it with becoming drunk.

If beer,wine or spirits didn't get us drunk we more than likely would never drink them because they don't really taste that nice to an untrained tongue. At best we look for the most palatable out of an unpalatable bunch.

cocktails, they're the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

mathepac wrote:
    I'd estimate 5% of the drinking population, who unfortunately seem to have a damaging relationship with alcoholl

That is complete shît.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I wouldn't think anything of a mate who ordered a coke or fanta. But for some reason I'd take the piss out of them if they drank a non alcoholic beer.
    I work Saturdays which is a bit of a problem because everyone I know heads out on Fridays. I'll still head out, have a few pints and switch to coke about midnight. I'll be tired the next day, but not hungover.
    I know plenty of drinkers who won't drink at all if they're working the next day (although they tend to leave early. Most pubs are not places you'd want to be if you were sober after midnight).

Still, none of us would order an alcohol free beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

Maybe you ought to change the title to "Damning Indictment of my friends attitude toward Alcohol", as it currently suggests we all think like your mate does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Seeing as the Muslim population in Europe is booming (some are booming more than others, obvs, but they tend to just boom the once) will the attitude to bewz change/consumption go down I wonder?
    OP, you should start hanging around with only Muslim friends, problem sorted - ye can head out together for a night of Bhangra and 7Up and no more gay jibes. See, I knew I'd come up with a simple solution. Just keep the conversation light, no politics, no war, deffo no religion. Maybe grow out the auld smeg a bit to blend in. If they try to convert you, just go along with it but profess an addiction to Denny skinless as the stumbling block - they have no answer to that one apparently. A great bunch of lads. Big on the sobriety thing - you know it makes sense. No need to thank me btw.:)

Advertisement