Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bomb scares in Galway, Claremorris and Ballinasloe.

• 29-07-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

Gardai have evacuated nightclubs in all three towns due to bomb warnings. Can't find any news article yet but the Galway Advertiser facebook page mention it... http://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser

I'm hoping this is all a hoax.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Time to check twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Say hello to my little friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Who'd want to plant bombs in them kips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Yeah sorry bout that lads.... Had a curry earlier.

Nahh seriously hope no-one gets injured IF there's a bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The Balinasloe Bomber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pat Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Well Cuba is open for the rest of the night, claiming its all a hoax. Glad thats all it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Probably some idiot making prank bomb scare calls. I hope it's that and not really a bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Claremorris is in Mayo

Jasus your a bright lad..... You'll go far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Claremorris is in Mayo
    And who denied it? :)

So someone who can't get the shift tries to spoil everyone else's chances with a couple of hoax calls?

Really impressive stuff!

• Advertisement

Scares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Why are the bombs scared? Is it 'cos its dark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

taken from the facebook page:

Bentley nightclub have just confirmed that the scare was a hoax. They have now re-opened the premises and punters are back on site. The scare was one of at least four reported across the country tonight. Western Hotel, Claremorris, Hayden' Hotel, Ballinasloe and a venue in Tullamore. It sounds concerted, so this will make detection easier.

AND

There haven't been this many gardai in nightclubs since the Copperface promotion — but thankfully all scares reported tonight seem to have been hoaxes. Searches over in Galway and Ballinasloe where punters have gone back into The Bentley and Haydens Hotel. In Claremorris, gardai are still searching The Western Hotel nightclub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Bane!!!!! Connacht's reckoning!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Your two.:) I've been close to three bombs going off, once a bit too close for comfort. Now, at the hint of a bomb scare, I'm away on my toes. I am currently running through wicklow dressed only in me jocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm afraid I read the title mistakenly, thank you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Well Cuba is open for the rest of the night, claiming its all a hoax. Glad thats all it was.

Yeh, Castro doesn't scare easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I betcha there were a couple of flutes complaining that they had just bought a drink and had to finish them off first when security informed them they had to leave due to the bomb threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Jagerbombs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Why oh why do they take these threats seriously? Probably just some idiot who was refused by the bouncers so made a few calls to get his own back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Why oh why do they take these threats seriously? Probably just some idiot who was refused by the bouncers so made a few calls to get his own back.

because if they don't and there's actually a bomb, lots of people die

are you honestly that thick?

And if they ignore a genuine bomb threat?

IrishAm wrote: »
    And if they ignore a genuine bomb threat?

There is never any bomb. Can you name one time when a bomb was found in a night club in the Republic?

Helix wrote: »
    because if they don't and there's actually a bomb, lots of people die

are you honestly that thick?

I think you are thick if you think someone is going to bother putting a bomb in some cowshed nightclub in Ballinasloe!

There is never any bomb. Can you name one time when a bomb was found in a night club in the Republic?

No. But the one time you do not take it seriously is the one time you have scores of bodies on your hands.

A bomb threat is no joking matter.

No. But the one time you do not take it seriously is the one time you have scores of bodies on your hands.

A bomb threat is no joking matter.

So if I sit here and phone every airport, train station, pub and nightclub in Ireland, should they all be evacuated and searched just in case?

I think you are thick if you think someone is going to bother putting a bomb in some cowshed nightclub in Ballinasloe!

Would you like me to send you my twelve year old cousins history book?

Bomb threats in Ireland are no laughing matter.

Would you like me to send you my twelve year old cousins history book?

Bomb threats in Ireland are no laughing matter.

I refer you to my question above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Are you not a moderator off a specific forum. Be more sensitive. just saying. Bombs are a viable threat anywhere. And no flippant matter.

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    Are you not a moderator off a specific forum. Be more sensitive. just saying. Bombs are a viable threat anywhere. And no flippant matter.

And what has that got to do with this discussion?

I enjoy breathing. I like living. If there is a chance, however slim, that a bomb threat is genuine, I am getting the fuck out of that building.

When it comes to my life, I ain't taking any chances.

I enjoy breathing. I like living. If there is a chance, however slim, that a bomb threat is genuine, I am getting the fuck out of that building.

When it comes to my life, I ain't taking any chances.

That's fine but you get my point, you have to be realistic in what threads you take seriously. If the threat does not use a recognised code word from an organisation which has done this before then I would be very sceptical about it. And if it sounds like some drunk idiot on the phone, I would just hang up.

That's fine but you get my point, you have to be realistic in what threads you take seriously. If the threat does not use a recognised code word from an organisation which has done this before then I would be very sceptical about it. And if it sounds like some drunk idiot on the phone, I would just hang up.

I would not. Even if it was a drunk slurring the word "Kerrygold".

Its best to get the people out, then get the professionals in to investigate.

Life is precious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

So if I sit here and phone every airport, train station, pub and nightclub in Ireland, should they all be evacuated and searched just in case?

Hi there. I'm going to burst into a cinema and shoot a load of people during a screening of the new Batman movie.

How would you view that. Every threat should be taken seriously. The alternative is to basically say we will wait for a tragedy to prove there is a risk. There are people out there capable of this kind of thing, thinking it couldn't happen here is asking for trouble.

If you did what you mention above I'm pretty sure you would see jail.

Glad it was all a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/defused-nightclub-bomb-could-have-been-fatal-485406.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

You seem to know a lot about these "code words".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

someone with taste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

taken from the facebook page:

Bentley nightclub have just confirmed that the scare was a hoax. They have now re-opened the premises and punters are back on site. The scare was one of at least four reported across the country tonight. Western Hotel, Claremorris, Hayden' Hotel, Ballinasloe and a venue in Tullamore. It sounds concerted, so this will make detection easier.

I assumed it was discos to be honest!!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Any chance we could nuke cork?

Maybe Bray and meath too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

They can and will be evacuated and searched. A lot of money and effort will be spent trying to track you down to give you a well deserved five year jail sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

They can and will be evacuated and searched. A lot of money and effort will be spent trying to track you down to give you a well deserved five year jail sentence.

Bomb hoax-call woman to be sentenced in September

Friday, July 20, 2012 - 06:23 PM

A 22-year-old woman, who made a hoax call claiming a bomb had been planted in a Dublin 4 hotel after she had a row with her boyfriend, will be sentenced in September.

Sinead King of Tyrconnell Road, Dublin had pleaded guilty to making a false report causing apprehension for safety of people, at the Mespil Hotel, in the city's south-side on January 1, 2011.

Dublin District Court heard she made the hoax call after she had an argument with her boyfriend, who works at the hotel.

Judge Cormac Dunne was told a member of the public made a 999 call stating “a bomb was located at the Mespil hotel”.

As a result of the report, a search was carried out at the grounds and inside the D.4 hotel which did not need to be evacuated.

The call was traced to King, who has no prior criminal convictions. When questioned by gardaí she claimed that she had received a call from another person stating there was a bomb in the hotel.

However, gardaí could not find evidence of her receiving any calls at the time she claimed.

The court has been told that King has not come to any more garda attention and is apologetic. Her lawyer had said King had a row with her boyfriend who works in the hotel, “that is the reason she placed the call”.

Today, a medical report on King was furnished to the judge and defence solicitor Amanda Connolly also said the woman had an alcohol problem.

Judge Dunne described the case as a “very serious matter” and added that a custodial sentence was in the court's mind.

He adjourned sentencing to allow time for a probation report on King to be prepared.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=women%20sentenced%20over%20bomb%20hoax&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fbreakingnews%2Fireland%2Fbomb-hoax-call-woman-to-be-sentenced-in-september-560064.html&ei=uwsVUOioDIGIhQfv0oG4BA&usg=AFQjCNHGLKXsbenL-GRoqYtSqmx2bOS7Bg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think the recent Batman shootings in the US more than proves that these tragedies occur even in places of entertainment for people, where they feel they are in a safe environment!

Have to laugh at comments like that though! Its people who usually come out with these sort of comments would be the very ones bitching if the Gardai decided to ignore the threats, and complain how nothing was done or the proper procedures weren't taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Yes, thankfully responsible people are tasked with making these decisions! The source of the calls you can be sure will be investigated and some tit will most likely end up court over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

if a bomb went off in an Irish ****hole nightclub on a sat night would anyone even notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A bomber with taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Ok who made this guy a mod?
    Seriously, hands up.
    Fcuk sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Considering the history of this country, then yes. It's a damn good idea to evacuate those places just in case.

And anyone who calls in with false information should be put in jail.

Paramilitary groups here used pre-arranged code words when making bomb threats, to add authenticity to their claims of involvement. The codes would be updated regularly and provided to the police and the media,Every bomb threat is taken on its merits with the caller being recorded and analyzed to the the best of the operators ability,All bomb threats have to be checked out for the just in case scenario.

if a bomb went off in an Irish ****hole nightclub on a sat night would anyone even notice?

The dropping well bombing occurred in 1982 when a time bomb exploded at a disco in derry,The bomb killed eleven soldiers and six civilians. lest we forget.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20bomb%20killed%20eleven%20soldiers%20and%20six%20civilians.&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDroppin_Well_bombing&ei=DUMVUIy5PMazhAe_94D4Cw&usg=AFQjCNEMTMe8sY8TldkPtlGfZjlWU9fxWg

• Advertisement
Advertisement