Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Problem With final average

Options
  • 29-07-2012 1:31am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone can help this year I finished 3rd year of an honours degree and will be going into my final year in September we were told at the start of the year that 3rd year would not effect our overall average in 4th year (4th year would be worth 100%) and all we had to do was pass every subject to get into 4th year.

Then during the final exams of year 3 one of the students went to the year head (the same person who told us these exams did not count towards our final average in 4th year) to discuss something about being sick during the year but during their conversation the year head just happened to mention that the overall average thing had been changed and that this year (the summer exams) now counted for 30% of our overall mark and next year will only be worth 70% at this stage we had already completed 3 exams. To say the class were angry when they found this out is an Understatement.

He still hasn't even told the class officially most of them only know because that one person whom he told happened to tell everyone. Surely he cannot be allowed do this as everyone including myself were just aiming for a pass in the 3rd year exams because we were lead to believe they didn't count and would have been aiming much higher had we have know that these exams counted as part of our final mark.

So what I am asking is what can be done about this or who can we go to about this like in work if their was a problem with something you would go to whoever represents the union is their something similar for colleges? Because it's going to be difficult enough to get a decent average without this added hardship. I don't really think going to the head of the department will do anything as I have a feeling no matter what they will side with the lecturer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If you don't have a student council (like a union for students) you could do with setting one up.

You'd probably need to seek legal advice if that doesn't work. You would need to read the terms of college / university very carefully though, there is probably something in there stating they can alter marking schemes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Yeah we do have a students union I will have to look into that. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Student Union is normally the guys that arrange p*ss ups. The system GCD Law has is each program and year have a class rep - they meet every month and bring any concerns to the faculty. For for LLB thats 6 (between part time and full time) people in there telling them similar things. Problems with lecturers, time tables - the fact that the restaurant is a bit of a joke sometimes...

Works quite well! Looks great/terrible (depending on the employer :D) on the CV if you set one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Get a proper full answer (in writing/email if possible) from the department so you know exactly what's going on. Go have a chat with someone in the SU (the education officer if your union has one, otherwise the president) and they should be able to help sort this out for you all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Seren_ wrote: »
    Get a proper full answer (in writing/email if possible) from the department so you know exactly what's going on. Go have a chat with someone in the SU (the education officer if your union has one, otherwise the president) and they should be able to help sort this out for you all.

When I get back in September I will try that thanks

Student Union is normally the guys that arrange p*ss ups. The system GCD Law has is each program and year have a class rep - they meet every month and bring any concerns to the faculty. For for LLB thats 6 (between part time and full time) people in there telling them similar things. Problems with lecturers, time tables - the fact that the restaurant is a bit of a joke sometimes...

Works quite well! Looks great/terrible (depending on the employer :D) on the CV if you set one up!

Yeah we have a class Rep thing I wouldn't have interest in doing it myself especially with the work load I am going to have next year. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement