Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: Renewing contract

Options
  • 29-07-2012 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I got a phone call yesterday from UPC about my broadband. I'm currently on the 30Mb student package for €42.74/month but the summer months are free.

Apparently they don't have a student offer anymore so I have to switch to the standard 30Mb broadband + 100 minute phone package for €42/month but with no free months. The worst part is that it is a new contract, so I would have to re-sign for another 12 months. I have no interest in the phone service so this is far worse value for me AND I have to sign a new contract for another 12 months.

Can anybody tell me what my options are? Can I not simply remain on my existing contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If they don't offer that contract any more then the answer is 'no', the best you can hope for is to see out the existing contract - if it has a few months to run then they cannot bully you to move to a new contract if you're unwilling to do so.

I find that with these utility companies, their sales agents will ring up trying to get you to sign up to a new contract to make some commission but you need to be very wary and not make a hasty decision. I was on a smartphone contract with O2 that had a few months to run, out of the blue I get a call asking me if I'd like to renew the contract for 18 months in return for a 10% discount on the monthly bill. I quickly asked what model iPhone or Android she was offering me as a free upgrade and it turned out there was none so I politely told her to PFO, what a chancer!

If they rang you then chances are they were trying to catch you on the back foot and get you to sign a new contract, same as what O2 tried on me. If they initiate the call then it's a salesperson looking to make commission so they will not give you all the options, only the ones that make the most money for them.

Ring UPC, say that you are a new customer and ask about student BB options, see what they say or as an existing UPC customer, ask to speak to the loyalty team, say that you are thinking of moving to another BB supplier and what can they offer you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

With most of these contracts when you reach the end of the contract you just carry on paying the same monthly tarriff on a month by month basis so if youu were paying €50 per month you would continue to pay that but other plans may be cheaper but will usually involve a further 12-24month contract, other providers might also be cheaper!

Advertisement