Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmoset at Drinagh garden centre

• 29-07-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

New to boards but just wanted to see if anyone knows about the solitary miserable looking marmoset monket currently on display in the above garden centre. The animal may be a pet but surely this is just encouraging the primate pet trade. Also, the animal bites (of course) as he is probably bored to death. There is one sign on the cage saying not to put fingers in, my two year old couldn't read that obviously, ran over and stuck his hand in. Surely this is also not what we want to be teaching our children. Primates do not belong in garden centres!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont buy anything there then.Vote with your wallet.

I did it with a local one here who kept their herps in atrocious conditions.

Told the manager that Id help them sort it out and give advice and was basically told that I knew nothing despite keeping herps for over 15 years.

Never bought another pack of crickets off them after that.

Complain to the manager and then buy nothing off them ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry Off topic but what's a herp? I googled it and kept getting results for herpes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sorry Off topic but what's a herp? I googled it and kept getting results for herpes!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpetology

Lizards, snakes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Maybe contact the Wicklow monkey sanctuary and let them know, not sure if they can do anything but maybe they get people contacting them and maybe they can help get the poor animal released to the sanctuary.

It's cruel to keep them alone the poor little fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizbeth35

Thanks for that, I will contact them, although I doubt there is much they can do as, worth a go though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Poor little guy. Complain to the manager and maybe keep complaining until he's moved?

Learn something new everyday. Never came across the term "herp" either and certainly never heard of the monkey sanctuary!!

Are they open to the public?

As far as I know they aren't open to the public but I think they do school tours/educational tours that kind of thing.

maybe they just rescued him ?

Maybe, dont think so though, they have on the cage he was born in Cavan. Doesn't mention a rescue and he is only an infant. He seems to be alone there day after day. I guess even if they were the best owners in the world, it is still wrong to be encouraging others coming to the store that primates make suitable pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Is this Drinagh near Wexford?

• Advertisement

That's so cruel to keep an infant monkey, they can't learn the skills they need from humans they must be with their own kind it's so inhumane the poor thing will suffer in the long run mentally from not having the proper socilisation with it's own kind.

Drinagh in wexford yep

Advertisement