Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic Nation FC in the English NPL 1st Division (8th tier)

• 29-07-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Do they have any links to Ireland? And no, I'm not intending on supporting them, I'm just curious about their foundation. Their official website says 'under construction'. They were only established in 2005!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Links to Ireland? Like, the Irish Sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Links to Ireland? Like, the Irish Sea?

As in was the founder Irish, something along those lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rangers way of getting into English football?

See ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1149-july-2012/8891-mystery-surrounds-celtic-nation-s-spending-spree
    29 July ~ A small club from Carlisle have been causing a stir during the summer. Celtic Nation changed their name from Gillford Park after earning promotion into Division One of the Northern League, four levels below the Conference. Launched in 2005, the club's name change is designed to attract the local Scottish and Irish population around Cumbria, but it has been their transfers that have generated the most comment. The biggest coup was Adam Boyd, signed from League One Hartlepool. The former £500,000 striker played 36 times last season, scoring six goals, and turned down offers from higher clubs to move to Gillford Park.

Reports suggest Boyd, 30, will earn £500-£650 a week, with four-figure bonuses for goals and appearances, a huge sum for a club whose average attendance was 36 in their Division Two promotion campaign.

As well as Boyd, the addition of former Gateshead midfielder Martin Brittain, experienced ex-Darlington pair Paul Arnison and Graeme Lee and keeper Daniel Lawson suggest Celtic Nation are building a side capable of rising the divisions.

There are fans from further afield than the Northern League suspicious about the goings-on at Gillford Park. Little information has been disclosed about who is backing the club. Manager Steve Skinner has promised that more details will be revealed in the near future.

"With a couple of players that have signed, there are a lot of escalating stories. So I’m trying to get everything finalised so I can then let everyone know what has happened and the truth of the matter," he said, adding: "As soon as I say anything it escalates the story and I don’t want that to happen. We’re just a club who want to progress and do well."

Some sceptics suggest that Celtic Nation could even struggle to see out the season, while the forum Non-League Zone has been threatened with legal action regarding comments from users, leading the site's owners to warn that "future posts about the situation at Celtic Nation FC will be deleted without further notice". Until more is known about the club's backers, speculation will continue to grow. Drew Swainston

On the subject...
    Celtic Nation Northern League All subjects

• Advertisement
Advertisement