Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Quinn Saga - Pt 52: They can't find him anywhere! O' look - He's at a GAA match!

• 29-07-2012 11:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Someone is obviously not looking too hard this south side of the border for one missing Quinn!
    Peter Darragh Quinn, who is wanted by the authorities in the Republic of Ireland, has been photographed at a sports event in Northern Ireland.
    Peter Darragh Quinn was pictured at a Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) match in Kinawley, County Fermanagh on Friday, alongside his father Peter Quinn Sr.

The photograph has now been published in a Sunday paper and a local newspaper.
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19035960#

There he is lads! Waving across the border, probably sticking up his two fingers at the Irish courts and laughing all the way to his and his families foreign banks not traced yet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

we are only scratching at the surface of tis story

wait until the sh1t really hits the fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Snatch squad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

BornToKill wrote: »
    Snatch squad!

Hmmmmmmmmm. Snatch

It's good to see him back up and about and looking well after his recent illness. He got a bad ol' knockout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭kentreaper

Could they serve a writ on the GAA?

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

The brazen c u next Tuesday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

The arrogant little twerp.
    I hope the lot of them get fcuking cancer:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭kentreaper

SocSocPol wrote: »

But, they have health insurance for that!

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

kentreaper wrote: »
    Could they serve a writ on the GAA?

:o

They have been even looking at GAA related forum posts to try solve may of the sneaky things, the Quinns have been up to!
    The state-owned bank suspected the patriarch and members of the succeeding generation had been involved in wholesale asset-stripping. IBRC had an army of financial investigators trying to crack the case. So intensive was the search that Gaelic football blogs were monitored for clues because of Quinn’s links with the GAA — he had captained the Fermanagh team in the 1970s.

The Garda fraud investigation people south of the border have found that the Quinns have been trying to hide their money everywhere - even as the Sunday Times (England) put it...
    ...it transpired, was a trust created to benefit not only Quinn’s four daughters and his only son, Seán Quinn Jr, but his grandchildren too — including those yet to be born.

They have apparently gone to some lengths to say a big "FCUK YOU" to the Irish nation trying to reclaim its money.
    Computer records in the Quinn Group’s head office revealed a file on the Cranaghan Foundation was created on March 31, 2011, about two weeks before a receiver was appointed to the Quinn empire. The bank lodged affidavits claiming “five umbrella entities” called Family Branch I-V over-arched the Cranaghan structure, designed to “hollow out companies that owned valuable assets”.

In the High Court last week, Judge Peter Kelly described the Quinns’ endeavours to put their assets beyond IBRC’s reach as a “mesmerisingly complex” deception and “the most devious” he had witnessed in six years on the bench in the court’s commercial division.

The Quinn's few supporters seem to think they are totally innocent.
    A reality check for them!
    Judge Dunne ruled as admissible covertly recorded footage of Peter Darragh at a business meeting in Kiev last January. “I’d have to lie to the court,” he says in the film, laughing. “That wouldn’t overly concern me.”

Sadly they are still costing the state money every week.
    QUINN’S children are due back in court this week for Judge Kelly’s adjudication on their application to increase their individual expenses allowance from the €2,000 a week sanctioned by the court.

The Quinn's business antics sadly are still ongoing in operation it seems. The money is still in circulation.
    Last Tuesday it emerged that eight family members — four of the children, a nephew, two sons-in-law and a daughter-in-law — received €2.8m in after-tax payments last year from three Russian companies. One of the eight was Karen Woods, then the girlfriend of Seán Jr, who works part-time in a Dublin car showroom. The Russian company paid her €320,297. The couple married in May, hosting a reception at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Co Wicklow while the contempt of court hearings were under way.

A ninth member of the extended family was mentioned by Seán Jr in his court evidence dated July 20. She is Noreen Mary Maguire, a daughter of Quinn’s sister Bernadette with a registered address in Derrylin, Co Fermanagh. Maguire received a transfer of 100,000 shares in Quinn Investments Sweden for €10. According to Seán Jr’s affidavit, she legitimately sold the Swedish shares last year — before the asset-freezing injunction — to Irish Trust AB, part of the Cranaghan Foundation.

Maguire, 31, is sole director of a Northern Ireland-registered company called Islajam, which was incorporated on May 25, 2011. The company applied to be struck off on June 15 this year. On May 26, 2011, a company called Remia was registered in Northern Ireland. Its sole director is Bernadette Maguire, 63, at Gortaree, Derrylin.

LAST November, when Quinn successfully applied to Belfast High Court to be made bankrupt under its comparatively lenient conditions (overturned on appeal by the IBRC), he said he was down to his last €11,000, an old Mercedes and 166 acres.

They are hiding the money everywhere - and by any means.
    Quinn told the High Court he went to Moscow on July 4 with Stephen Kelly, his brother-in-law, after being found in contempt by Judge Dunne in June. IBRC has claimed that 25.57€m of assets in Red Sector, a Russian company, had been transferred to Kelly, the husband of Aoife, in return for a 308.52€ laptop.

Must be some laptop!

Background info:
    Critics of the Quinns could argue their asset-stripping defiance of the High Court is not a victimless crime. While more revelations emerged in court last week, it was reported that house and motor insurance policyholders will have to continue paying for longer than expected a 2% levy imposed because of problems at Quinn Insurance.

Irish citizens are paying the €30 billion cost of rescuing the former Anglo Irish Bank from collapse. Quinn had accumulated 25% ownership of the bank through contracts for difference, a high-stakes form of share speculation. He raided his insurance company for €288m towards buying into the bank.

The above quotes will be found in today's further detailed lengthy Sunday Times coverage - but for those lucky to have a net Times account, here is a link which the above quotes was taken from: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1091555.ecehttp://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1091555.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Biggins wrote: »
    Someone is obviously not looking too hard this south side of the border for one missing Quinn!

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19035960#

There he is lads! Waving across the border, probably sticking up his two fingers at the Irish courts and laughing all the way to his and his families foreign banks not traced yet!

It doesn't matter if he is two miles over the border or 12,000 miles away in Australia, he is in a foreign country. What he was found guilty of in our courts was a civil matter and not something which can be used to seek his extradition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

what a horrible thing to say

It doesn't matter if he is two miles over the border or 12,000 miles away in Australia, he is in a foreign country. What he was found guilty of in our courts was a civil matter and not something which can be used to seek his extradition.

Very true.
    I suspect though that if you or I was up on lesser charges, somehow the police the other side of the border in efforts of joint co-operation, would find a legal technicality to hand us over!

Many has been saying for weeks where exactly he is - yet the official statement from the Gardi is "We don't know where he is!
    Maybe they should look across the border with binoculars! :D

They might see him waving back, sending peace signals of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

GAA should be chardged with harboring a criminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

With such a stupid comment, the illness has obviously never darkened your door..
    Wreckless to say the least....

You know something is not right, that they are trying to hide money when even a girlfriend of one of the children (of Seán Jr) who is just a part-time staff member in a car business, mysteriously gets €320,297 from a far off Russian company set up by them!

They then married (by sheer good luck - now she can't be forced to testify against her hubbie) during the start of the court proceedings!

Clever eh?
    Every or any trick in the book it might appear!

With such a stupid comment, the illness has obviously never darkened your door..
    It has.
    And I stand over my comments, the Quinns are just parasites,lower than rats in a sewer, people are dying for the want of hospital beds because of the cuts that we are suffering because of their greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The Quinns may be guilty of some things, however they have never stooped as low as to wish cancer on someone.

Mods must be asleep this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

It has.
    And I stand over my comments, the Quinns are just parasites,lower than rats in a sewer, people are dying for the want of hospital beds because of the cuts that we are suffering because of their greed.

What a lovely person you must be.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

It has.

I've always said their should be a minimum age to post on boards or at least an IQ test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

There is still that quintessential Irish trait of breaking the law and then having others support you in doing so.

http://www.thejournal.ie/peter-darragh-resurfaces-as-quinn-family-supporters-plan-rally-536834-Jul2012/

There is something seriously wrong in this society if these idiots think the Quinns are being hard done by.

Very true.
    I suspect though that if you or I was up on lesser charges, somehow the police the other side of the border in efforts of joint co-operation, would find a legal technicality to hand us over!

Many has been saying for weeks where exactly he is - yet the official statement from the Gardi is "We don't know where he is!
    Maybe they should look across the border with binoculars! :D

They might see him waving back, sending peace signals of course!

A border is a border and its a different jurisdiction, binoculars or not the same rules apply to every other civilised country and their borders. This is a civil case and european arrest warrants do not apply. You would need more than a legal technicality for a hand over of quinn, in fact a change of legislation. It can be hard for some people to grasp these things. Dont get so excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A border is a border and its a different jurisdiction, binoculars or not the same rules apply to every other civilised country and their borders. This is a civil case and european arrest warrants do not apply. You would need more than a legal technicality for a hand over of quinn, in fact a change of legislation. It can be hard for some people to grasp these things. Dont get so excited!

Additionally, AGS never put out a statement to the effect that they didn't know where he was. They knew the minute he fled, I'd imagine.

Nonetheless, they had to go through the procedure of calling to his various addresses-and told the media the following morning that they were attempting to locate him, which was probably technically accurate.

What people fail to understand here, in their rush to knock the Gardaí, is the sanction has been for contempt of court-not being part of a duplicitous and calculated operation to move funds behind the reach of IBRC, ergo the taxpayer. As you say, a civil matter.

A border is a border and its a different jurisdiction, binoculars or not the same rules apply to every other civilised country and their borders.

I have already agreed on that point.

I would have though though that the possible criminal actions of the Quinns might see at least would be seen as such and the Garda Extradition Unit would try making make an application on the grounds that they activities are possibly criminal and they are needed for further investigation.

As for civil matters, not so long ago when the IBRC in Northen Ireland civil court, appealed and successfully got them to over turn their attempted (last November) announced bankrupt attempt with its comparatively lenient conditions.
    It seem south of the border agencies can operate with the law, civil law, in the North - when its suits their agenda!

I have the utmost respect for the Gardi (and defended them much) - much criticised by others often in previous threads (fair enough!).
    I suspect they did indeed know where he scampered off to as soon as he did.
    Officially they were/are still searching for him. I suspect that searches south of the border were not too extensive as they knew his location within a day or two.
    I don't blame the Gardi.
    The law in relation to these matters is an ass though. Thats where part of the problem really lies.
    I'm guessing that the Gardi are just being used as scapegoats by others in Dublin who are doing things to a beat of another drum!

I would have though though that the possible criminal actions of the Quinns might see at least would be seen as such and the Garda Extradition Unit would try making make an application on the grounds that they activities are possibly criminal and they are needed for further investigation.

As for civil matters, not so long ago when the IBRC in Northen Ireland civil court, appealed and successfully got them to over turn their attempted (last November) announced bankrupt attempt with its comparatively lenient conditions.
    It seem south of the border agencies can operate with the law, civil law, in the North - when its suits their agenda!

You can only extradite people who are facing a charge of murder or rape and the directions to charge in such cases have to already have been given by the DPP following the examination of an investigation file. An extradition agreement must also be in place between countries involved. This case and the contempt is in the civil courts in the republic. There's a certain Mr Drum in the USA who for the same reason has not been extradited. See if you can spot him with your binoculors!

One Quinn in jail already, another one at liberty but will go to jail if he doesn't satisfy the courts conditions. This doesn't suggest to me that some agenda is being used by our legal system to allow the third one to escape.

...There's a certain Mr Drum in the USA who for the same reason has not been extradited. See if you can spot him with your binoculors!
    Will have to buy a new stronger pair then! :(

As I said, the law in this matter is an ass - probably one of the biggest problems not just Ireland has but other countries too.
    They should in joint co-operation or individual effort look to rectify these matters.
    Police-wise, we all can work on an international level at times.
    The legal area of possible financial fraud certainly is an area that needs further work on - thats my point.
    With the upcoming of the new European police body, hopefully they will get around to just that!

One would hope that the Dept of Foriegn Affairs have revoked his Passport at least.
    If he is going to border hop and travel through Europe or further afield let it not be on an Irish Passport the little weasel.

You can only extradite people who are facing a charge of murder or rape and the directions to charge in such cases have to already have been given by the DPP following the examination of an investigation file. An extradition agreement must also be in place between countries involved. This case and the contempt is in the civil courts in the republic. There's a certain Mr Drum in the USA who for the same reason has not been extradited. See if you can spot him with your binoculors!
    Not so under a European Arrest Warrant, all that is required is that it is a criminal matter.

• Advertisement

One would hope that the Dept of Foriegn Affairs have revoked his Passport at least.
    If he is going to border hop and travel through Europe or further afield let it not be on an Irish Passport the little weasel.

Sadly its all too easy to go back and forth across our border.
    I don't think Peter Quinn will be crossing back any time soon back into the republic but I wonder if there is a means that the Irish government can request at least, that any other passport he might have (does he have a British one?) be withdrawn, to keep his presence within our neighbouring borders?

Since it become obvious that they were being investigated, it seems at times they have been on globe trotting trips to do whatever it is they have been up to, in order to (some have assumed) squirrel money away all over the place in sudden set-up companies, subsidiaries and with people beyond our borders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He would have no problem getting a UK passport at any time so it would not matter a toss if the Irish govt cancelled his Irish passport.

Sadly its all too easy to go back and forth across our border.
    I don't think Peter Quinn will be crossing back any time soon back into the republic but I wonder if there is a means that the Irish government can request at least, that any other passport he might have (does he have a British one?) be withdrawn, to keep his presence within our neighbouring borders?

Since it become obvious that they were being investigated, it seems at times they have been on globe trotting trips to do whatever it is they have been up to, in order to (some have assumed) squirrel money away all over the place in sudden set-up companies, subsidiaries and with people beyond our borders!

There is no legal basis for any such request and it will not happen, you cannot just make up laws as you go along to fit a certain case and you certainly cant make them up for another country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its embarrassing to say the least and its just giving another two fingers to the law and people of this land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

as someone who has it, i would not wish it on any one, one has to be diagnosed with it to realise this.

There is no legal basis for any such request and it will not happen, you cannot just make up laws as you go along to fit a certain case and you certainly cant make them up for another country!

Indeed not.
    However it might be known to happen at times previously, that official (or maybe unofficial?) requests have been made between two close states and the requested involved might have found a technicality in order to placate or satisfy their neighbours and close co-operating friendly nations?

If memory serves me right, it might not be the first time that the likes of Interpol alone has requested a passport be withdrawn from use. Maybe Ireland should make representations through them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads Cheerleader-in-chief John Walters won't be happy with all this begrudgery

Hold on; I have one - extraordinary rendition. Dropped off at Shannon would be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭gk5000

BornToKill wrote: »
    Hold on; I have one - extraordinary rendition. Dropped off at Shannon would be grand.

Yes all we have to do is bribe a pilot next time he's flying in/out of Belfast to divert to Dublin. 50K - 100k should do it, a shrewd investment.

Or is there no private "bounty hunters" like you have in the US could chase him down?

He would have no problem getting a UK passport at any time so it would not matter a toss if the Irish govt cancelled his Irish passport.
    Fine let him have his British Passport, but let him not be using an Irish Passport to continue his theft from the Irish taxpayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It has.

No, people are suffering cuts in services because of the reckless mismanagement of successive governments. The end game in this whole Anglo/IBRC/Quinn affair has yet to play out. And, no, it won't be fun.

• Advertisement

How do you know if sean Quinn is lying?
    His lips are moving!:D

Not so under a European Arrest Warrant, all that is required is that it is a criminal matter.

I disagree

This bit is certainly interesting from the above link:
    An EAW can only be issued for the purposes of conducting a criminal prosecution (not merely an investigation), or enforcing a custodial sentence

Hasn't a judge given the escape artist one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

You're going to love this Biggins!

GAA Legends March In Defence Of The Quinn Family

http://www.balls.ie/2012/07/29/gaa-legends-march-in-defence-of-the-quinn-family/

What an embarassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

EAWs do not apply to contempt proceedings.

EAWs do not apply to contempt proceedings.
    we know:rolleyes:

This bit is certainly interesting from the above link:

An EAW can only be issued for the purposes of conducting a criminal prosecution (not merely an investigation), or enforcing a custodial sentence

Hasn't a judge given the escape artist one?

This is your paragraph in full.

An EAW can only be issued for the purposes of conducting a criminal prosecution (not merely an investigation), or enforcing a custodial sentence.[1] It can only be issued for offences carrying a maximum penalty of 12 months or more. Where sentence has already been passed an EAW can only be issued if the prison term to be enforced is at least four months long.

You're going to love this Biggins!

GAA Legends March In Defence Of The Quinn Family

http://www.balls.ie/2012/07/29/gaa-legends-march-in-defence-of-the-quinn-family/

What an embarassment.

It really is, isn't it!

He put money into the sport there so the favour is returned by those that possibly benefited?

More Irish Cronyism?

...Where sentence has already been passed an EAW can only be issued if the prison term to be enforced is at least four months long.

Very true.
    The wiki piece also mentions "fraud, including fraud affecting the financial interests of the European Union,"

I just suspect that if they wished to go after him strong enough, someone somewhere would find the right laws to try getting him back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement