Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

towing a caravan to France - would you?

Options
  • 29-07-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,
    We have driven our car and rented a static in France for the last 2 years.

Would you tow a caravan to France ( Dordogne or further south ) or just rent a static when you get there??? We have 3 kids in the car . Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I would if I was pulling it with something decent(big diesel!!)
    And it would want to be stable enough on the road.
    But when you factor in extra ferry costs extra fuel slow progress I doubt you'll be saving much.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

juneg wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    We have driven our car and rented a static in France for the last 2 years.

Would you tow a caravan to France ( Dordogne or further south ) or just rent a static when you get there??? We have 3 kids in the car . Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions
    The first time we went we had a Toyota picnic and a compass rallye twin axle and it was no bother just take your time, we went as far as la rochelle, I always think its better to have your own with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

If you are just going to stay on the one site then there is not much advantage over renting a static caravan, but if you want to tour around, staying a few nights on different sites, then bringing your own caravan makes sense.
    I have done both over the years and the advantage of your own van is if you get bored of a site, you can just pack up and move on to another site.
    Also the trick with your own van is to break the journey sensibly, i.e. not to try get to the south of france in 2 days, can be done but not really practical, especially if you have kids.
    Once your towcar is powerful enough to comfortably tow your van then its down to personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Going again Saturday. Last time went via UK using Dover to Calais & then head west. This time Rosslare to Cherbourg.

Even with that bigger journey I enjoyed it, hoping it'll be a doddle with the direct ferry. I would have thought that there are clear savings - the ferry isnt that much extra to bring a caravan and I'd have thought the savings per night on site are material. I did a fly, rent a car & static once and that was a bit pricey. Maybe if you just compare to a drive to a static the savings are less but would be surprised if not still significant.

Advertisement