Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soother

Options
  • 29-07-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

My 24 week old keeps waking during night and I have to get up and go out soother back in, every hr or 2!!
    Tried taking if off her for her naps but she just became hysterical and I just couldn't listen to it.. Broke my heart!!

Not sure what to do... Take it off her and try tolerate the hysteria for couole days? Goes against my heart tho!!

I've tried introducing a teddy/blankie thing which she's just not fussed with!

Won't even close her eyes without it!

Also driving me mad in car cos keeps spitting it out and can't get back so have to do it for her!

In general it's a nuisance but she's just so so dependent on it!

If I could even get her to do without it throughout the night so we could sleep would be amazing! But I think if she had it duri g day and I took it at night she would only scream longer for it... She knows what she wants!!! Like her mum!! And I want sleep!!!! Lol

I think it's all or nothing - but just want to know if there's any less traumatic way of weaning her off it! She won't even do one nap!!!!!

Cold turkey.... But you'd want a cold heart!!!! I want to know of that's what I need to do.... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you sure she doesn't need another feed in the night? She might be hungry. They go through growth spurts after they sleep the whole night. For a week or so they need the extra feed again. And then they settle back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

pwurple wrote: »
    Are you sure she doesn't need another feed in the night? She might be hungry. They go through growth spurts after they sleep the whole night. For a week or so they need the extra feed again. And then they settle back.

Nope def doesn't need feed - has done a couple of times and has gotten it but this is not food related. It happens even 2 hrs after a bottle! Thenif u give her a bottle she doesn't want it. She literally barely wakes if u get to her with the soother on time.
    She's the same when awake duri g day!! If tired and can't put smoother in herself gets extremely agravated!
    She just seems to need to suck it of she wakes at all! Once asleep she will drop it again until she stirs again due to movement etc - then realizes doesn't have it and gets upset!
    Thought it was pains from something she was eating first or hunger like u say but no - finally realised it's the soother after 10 weeks straight of not sleeping well!

Seems very young for that, but if you want to break the habit, then they say it's four days for any habit. It's supposed to be less for soothers as long as they are all gone out of sight.

Seems very young for that, but if you want to break the habit, then they say it's four days for any habit. It's supposed to be less for soothers as long as they are all gone out of sight.

Hey pwurple , thanks for response :)
    Just don't know what u mean about very young for that? She was hooked at 2 weeks when we introduced them! The turning at night and so losing soother started about 8-10 wks ago....
    Just dunno what u mean?

Interesting about the 4 days! Just tried one nap again and she was so upset I just gave up!!!

Lookin for a way to make it easier for them to give up or an elternative to give instead?

Just meant that in my experience with my own,and nieces and nephews, friends, they have usually been nearly 2 years old before they started demanding it.

If it's in all the time I would be eager to get rid of it as well.

• Advertisement

Just meant that in my experience with my own,and nieces and nephews, friends, they have usually been nearly 2 years old before they started demanding it.

If it's in all the time I would be eager to get rid of it as well.

Oh no def demanding it!!!! Would have taken it off her weeks agO if she wasn't as the only reason she got it originally was to prevent her being on the breast 24/7 which she was!! She's a sucky baby!!

She doesn't have it all the time - only when she demands it..!!! I.e when she is upset or going to sleep! Problem just being she's ruling around nOw at night , waking, and needing it to go back asleep but can't find it or coordinate it back into her mouth if she does!!!

My nephew is 11 months and has been demanding his for months now - only difference being he manages to sleep thru without waking for it!

I really wouldn't mind if it was not affecting every nights sleep!! It's been ongoing for over 2 months - have to go back to work soon and really need her to be sleeping thru somewhat by then!!

Best to sort it now if I can.... Just do t know how to go about it - last thing I want to do is upset her too much!!

I don't mind / expect to be kept up even 50% of nights!! Just not 100% after 24 weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

dublinlady I read somewhere that you should take the soother away before 8 months if you don't want them to have it until they're 3 or so. My son was a sucky newborn too and he got a soother so I could have a break.

He was quite ambivalent to it for a long time but now he's totally hooked! Honestly he'd scream the place down if he didn't have it for naps and at night time. They tried to take it off him in the crèche for naps but he woke after 15 minutes looking for it. He's 18 months now but he got really dependent on it when he was around 9 months. I rarely let him have it during the day even more so now that he's starting to speak. It's a soother not a dummy!

The point of my long rambling :P is if you think it's more of a hindrance than a help take it off her now before she's aware of it and remembers/misses it. You might have a few rough nights but she'll forget about it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

dublinlady wrote: »
    My 24 week old keeps waking during night and I have to get up and go out soother back in, every hr or 2!!
    Tried taking if off her for her naps but she just became hysterical and I just couldn't listen to it.. Broke my heart!!

Not sure what to do... Take it off her and try tolerate the hysteria for couole days? Goes against my heart tho!!

I've tried introducing a teddy/blankie thing which she's just not fussed with!

Won't even close her eyes without it!

Also driving me mad in car cos keeps spitting it out and can't get back so have to do it for her!

In general it's a nuisance but she's just so so dependent on it!

If I could even get her to do without it throughout the night so we could sleep would be amazing! But I think if she had it duri g day and I took it at night she would only scream longer for it... She knows what she wants!!! Like her mum!! And I want sleep!!!! Lol

I think it's all or nothing - but just want to know if there's any less traumatic way of weaning her off it! She won't even do one nap!!!!!

Cold turkey.... But you'd want a cold heart!!!! I want to know of that's what I need to do.... :(

Hi, my 19 month is also addicted to his soother an has been since very young, like that it helped comfort him at nite and when he got upset,,he will not sleep without it....i also had to give to him every time he woke,, nothing else i could do. His now at an age where i can clip it to his.pjamas an he finds it very easily himself at nite and has been using this clip for months.
    I dont no how ill get him off it either as he really does rely on it....
    I honestly cant rem how long i was gettin up to put the soother back into his mouth,, but can say things did improve,, do try the.clip thing though they get used to it after a while.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have you tried something like a Wubbanub or a Binkibear. They are basically a soother attached to a teddy/plush toy and a lot of babies find them easier to keep in their mouths and to find themselves if they fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Try the Bye Bye Binky No Cry Method. You wean them off over several days. You start by puncturing the soother with a pin which is supposed to make it less satisfying to suck. Then after a couple of days you snip off a little bit. Wait another few days snip some more and so on. You keep going till theres nothing but the plastic handle. My first was addicted to her soother and couldn't imagine how to get rid of it. Tried this at about 2.5 years and it worked. In the end I'd take a half soother out and it would be 'no mam' so would offer a 1/4 one and in the end she lost interest. It worked for us.

Whatever way you try this you willhave to endure some pain! This way you don't deny the soother just make it less satisfying. Plus you're not replacing it with something else that could end being a different problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

I just had an image of a mini Betty Forðe clinic for babies with soother addiction ... :D

Iguana the binkibear looks great! Do u know anywhere that sells them in Ireland or us it just online? Think it would be a great stopgap for this process!!!!

Then I can try the bye bye binky method - are there issues with cutting the silicone tho? Sounds like a good plan if not!!

I like the thought of the bear so that she won't have to go from comfort to nothing! She can do bear with soother to bear!

She cried so much yest when I tried it she was choking and almost puking.... I'm not cut out to watch that!!!! Its mad how reliant they are - although as I said if it wasn't the soother it was me so it was an easy alternative then!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm sure you can get them here as I saw them at the pregnancy and baby fair in the RDS a few months ago. I can't remember which stall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ah dublinlady that's terrible :(

We started using one of those clips from very early and once it twice we didn't have one he woke up screaming because he lost his soother. The teddies seem like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I got J's soother comfort from here
    http://www.sleepytot.com/

He loves it & it's not so big that I'm afraid of it covering his face while he sleeps :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Maybe she needs a bigger size soother?

When my Son was born he couldn't keep the soother in his mouth and then I realised his gob was too big for the one he had so I put him on the next size up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We never used one and our son is now a normal, healthy 22 month old ....we think:D.
    The only time he gets one is when we're flying to deal with the change in cabin pressure.

Well we decided to get shot of them altogether.... We are 12 hrs into 'the baby whisperer 's routine for 4-6 month olds. Up down method at night etc.... Basically we have a rough few days ahead anyway as we are doing 2 things!
    A) gettin her into a structured routine for feeding and napping and sleeping. Including teaching her to self soothe and go down in bed on her own by using a non cry out method which involves us putting her down - her crying - us picking her up - soon as stops straight back down until she learns to fall asleep herself without any props.

B) doing all of this whilst removing all site of soother...

In for a penny...

I felt it was best for her to give her a routine and method of self soothing whilst I have a month to be here before heading back to work so that she has me here to comfort her thru.
    It's incredibly difficult but my oh Is excellent and we taking nights in turns. She herself is adapting well and I really think sge can sense the new found confidence!!!
    Many a difficult crying spell to get thru yet but this was we can hold her or touch her to reassure her we are here and it's ok...

I'll keep ye up dated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

^^ I think that is an excellent decision - particularly as you are going back to work soon. Good luck with it - it'll be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Good decision, be confident its going to work and dont give up consistency will pay in the end!

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Can't believe how well it's working already.... It's like shes relieved we finally know what we are doing....
    For anyone who this might help our new routine is as follows..

7.30am bottle
    Then change, dress etc
    Play
    8.30 breakfast -, porridge and fruit
    Play
    9.15 lullabies in nursery
    9.30 nap 1&1/2 - 2 hrs
    11.30 bottle
    Change and play
    12.30 lunch - veg and fruit purée (3 cubes)
    Play
    1.15 lullabies in nursery
    1.30 nap 1&1/2 -2 hrs
    3.30 bottle
    Change and play
    4.30 dinner - veg and fruit (2 cubes)
    Play / walk
    5-6pm - optional 30 min nap ( maybe during a walk)
    7pm. Play and put on pjs and change into night nappy
    7.30. Bottle
    8 Bed time story in cot for 15 mins
    Sleep!!!

For naps we do pick up put down method (baby whisperer)and just put her down for 2nd nap and at most 5 mins crying.

Can't believe how well it's going - no soother at all!!

The lullabies and story seem to distract her from the fact it's gone.
    And cos the whole thing is do diff she's distracted anyway!!! (it used to be just naps in my arms in the living room!!)

Already today I had 1hr 45mins to myself when she slept.

Nights I'm sure will continue to be tough for a few more days but I really feel this is working well for us after even less than 24 hrs!!! It's like she was craving the authority!!!!

I feel now that if someone wanted to babysit I could let them with specific instructions and it would be easy. I couldn't before cos I had no idea what she would be doing or what she would need!!!

All I have to say is..... Phew!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

DL I used the pick up put down method on J when he was just 6 weeks old & it worked a treat, 10 weeks on now & at night he gets his last feed, a kiss & a cuddle & down he goes into his cot, 5 mins later he's out cold until his 3am feed :-)
    I've had both my sister & OH's babysit & neither could believe that he never stirred the whole time they were there!

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Dl, im delighted for you and baby. A was about the same age when she put herself into a routine, like that, she took to it like a duck tp watet and she's still the same at 22months. BUT, i still say my baby was ready for this because i spent 4 months with her sleeping in my arms etc.maybe im deluded, but you never knew.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Dl, im delighted for you and baby. A was about the same age when she put herself into a routine, like that, she took to it like a duck tp watet and she's still the same at 22months. BUT, i still say my baby was ready for this because i spent 4 months with her sleeping in my arms etc.maybe im deluded, but you never knew.

I totally agree / I don't think it would have worked earlier! She decided the feeding pattern herself over last week so that was already there!! I just had to find a way to help her sleep herself and properly.
    I'm lying in bed and it's half an he before her wake up time..... Heard her stir twice during night but fell straight back to sleep I didn't even have to go in! Sonehow now she's managed to turn on her projector which plays lullabies and is attached to crib herself!!! So still no cries but twinkle twinkle playing and can hear her moving about!!! The odd squeak!! Dying to go peek at her but dont want to disrupt her - she's clearly delighted with herself!!!!!!!!!! 20 mins til I can go play too......!!

Can't believe we had a night where didn't have to get up! Wondering now if she'll stop waking altogether so won't even have to go back asleep? But either way she's brill as somehow has already learnt there's no soother to cry for and that we wouldn't be bringing her to our bed if she did and would end up stayin g there / think she's woken and just been happier as she knows she went to sleep in the cot and so doesn't get a fright and miss us as much!

She's now singing along to twinkle twinkle.... God they're amazing aren't they!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

congrats!!

since we moved E into her room over a week ago she doesnt really want her dummie at night!! if she wakes it is because she has rolled onto her belly and cant get back. when i roll her back and try give her dummie she closes her mouth so i dont even try now. she happily turns on her side on goes back to sleep. sometimes i hear a little whimper and dont even have to go to her cos she goes back to sleep and when she wakes in the mornin she is happy to lie there for a while looking around and chatting. its brill. she also got herself into a routine around the age of your little one. E used to also sleep in my arms until around that age. its mad isnt it? I think suddenly they think they are big girls now! :D and they are i suppose:eek::o

congrats again. we will be more prepared for our second babies.... maybe!!

Advertisement