Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made ice cream

Options
  • 29-07-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

I bought an ice cream maker in aldi last week, and I'm half way through my first attempt at vanilla ice cream, using the recipe that came with it & am hoping that it'll turn out ok. I was kinda disappointed at the very small amount of recipes that were in the booklet though, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some recipes that they've followed successfully with the same machine (or a similar one)

I know there are hundreds of recipes on the web, but I'm not a confident person in the kitchen, and would really prefer to try ones that others had found turned out well.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Raspberry and basil sorbet by Lucas Hollweg. I have made this many times and it is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

wow that sounds fantastic -thanks for the link, I love raspberries and basil so I'll definitely try that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mick F

This is incredible.

This is also nice, but a bit more work. Don't over roast the peanuts and make sure you remove the skins. Also, low boil the fudge for more than the one minute suggested in the recipe; it needs to thicken more.

With the Aldi machine, you need to make sure you always refrigerate the mixed custard overnight before churning it. I generally just keep the mixing pot in the freezer so it's always ready to use.

EDIT: I forgot about this one, which is also very nice and more unusual.

thanks Mick, they all look fantastic! my vanilla ice cream turned out well so I'm looking forward to trying something a bit more adventurous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mick F

One other thing I should mention is that I found it much easier to make ice cream since I bought a candy/oil thermometer. I always found it hard to get the custard to the right temperature without scrambling the eggs. Now it's always bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we got the same ice cream maker about 2 years ago i think.

the way we usually use it is with the big pot of Lidl Greek yoghurt and throw it in with whatever fruit etc. we fancy having in it at the time.

i even made a lemon barley sorbet once which was really nice as well.

i followed the recipe here for making the lemon barley and just threw it into the ice cream maker and let it do it's thing. :)

but mostly we just use the Lidl Greek yoghurt tho, it's a nice treat and only 10% fat, which compares well to regular ice cream made with cream. :)

mmmmm frozen yoghurt - great idea - thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

This chocolate icecream is amazing

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateIceCream.html

I normally add in shaved dark chocolate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mmmmm frozen yoghurt - great idea - thanks :)
    you can probably use any yoghurt, but i find the lidl greek style one to be particularly nice and tasty and they do a decent sized bucket of plain, ideal for ice cream, and you can put it back in the same pot and stick it in the freezer when you've made it, assuming of course you don't polish the whole thing off in one sitting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have a look at The Icecreamists if you would like to explore the flip side to vanilla. More Sid & Nancy than Ben & Jerry, the book has some great ideas for frozen cocktails as well as some more unusual icecrrams.

• Advertisement

The icecreamist sounds like a great read - it's definitely on my wish list (breast milk ice cream excluded lol) & alcohol in ice cream intrigues me.... even happier now that I got the machine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Try Kulfi, its an unchurned ice cream

Advertisement