Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics 2012 Shooting

• 29-07-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

I figured it might be a good idea to have an overall shooting thread for the Olympics. Currently, in women's skeet, Kim Rhode is well on her way to a fifth medal in five Games, having earned her first in Atlanta, at just 16 years old. She's set a new Olympic record of 74/75, two better than the old one, and leaving her four targets clear of Bartekova. This should be an excellent final, as it's very tight then for the rest of the medals. The final is starting at two, so hopefully see a gold for Rhode and a new Final Olympic Record too, to cap it all off!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Won't the individual events get lost in a single megathread though? We figured individual threads were okay, since this isn't exactly an everyyear event...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It should be streamed here: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html. Live Feed number 4.

For the other shooting events you can search for the times here: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/epg/index.html (if you set the discipline to "Shooting" you can just show the shooting events).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There are only a couple of events per day, so running commentary on a single thread seems neater to me. So far, we're off to a hell of a games in the shooting, anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Bbc not showing any shooting today when there was coverage planned??

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Bbc not showing any shooting today when there was coverage planned??

It's available streamed on the BBC website, but I'm not sure if it's available on the TV via the red button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

IRLConor wrote: »
    It's available streamed on the BBC website, but I'm not sure if it's available on the TV via the red button.

It was suppose to be on red button on sky but its not on. plus me laptop is out of acrion o.ly have internet on my phone. so cant watch any of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

It should be really on the telly , bbc have 13 channels on freeview so surely they could dedicate even 30 minutes to show the highlights and results of the shooting competitions. Maybe shooting is not "pc" enough ?

New Olympic record (74) and final Olympic record (99) for Kim Rhode, equalling the final world record. Not a bad icing on the cake of another gold medal! That's five games, five medals so far, and she's only 33. Got another three games in her!

The previous FOR was 93 too, so it's quite a record to set. From the way she shoots, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the first to set a perfect score.

The previous FOR was 93 too, so it's quite a record to set. From the way she shoots, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the first to set a perfect score.

No, she's phenomenal, and to come into the final two ahead of the old record and extend your lead like that, just absolutely mechanically, is incredible stuff to watch. I was holding onto the seat with both hands as she was coming up to that centre stand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

30shooting-cnd02-popup.jpg

Rhode, center, earned a gold medal in women’s skeet on Sunday, setting an Olympic record and tying the world record. Wei Ning of China, left, finished the event in second place, and Danka Bartekova of Slovakia earned the bronze medal in a shoot-off.
    P.S. Marina Belikova of Russia and Danka Bartekova of Slovakia both hitting 90 targets in regulation.

Kim Rhode's showing her stuff.

30shooting-cnd01-articleLarge.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    It was suppose to be on red button on sky but its not on. plus me laptop is out of acrion o.ly have internet on my phone. so cant watch any of it

Its on the red button on the Sky box system and on Free to Air Satellite the BBC have uploaded 22 Olympic chanels, each channel covering different sports at different times. In the shooting they plan to show all finals. Todays Skeet was on Olympic Channel 12 at 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

[QUOTE=Double Barrel;

Kim Rhode's showing her stuff.

30shooting-cnd01-articleLarge.jpg[/QUOTE]

The GunFit experts wouldnt be impressed. The theory according to the experts would say that the stock is about 3-4 inches too long. But it just shows what works is what matters.
    Brilliant shooting and historic result, in more ways than one, for the finest lady shotgun shooter ever.

I have to say, I love how Playmobil are getting the kids into this :D

2382742-2-l.jpg

5202-Sportschuetze-Playmobil-Olympia.jpg

5202_Playmobil_Target_Shooter_c.jpg

Makes a change from the usual ignore-the-sport approach.
    Now, to order ten of them. So that, you know, dad can test them before they become presents :D

Finalists for the Men's 10m Air Rifle:

Shooter|Qualification Score|Inner 10s|
    CAMPRIANI Niccolo|599|56|Equalled Olympic Record
    MOLDOVEANU Alin George|599|53|Equalled Olympic Record
    NARANG Gagan|598|53|
    WANG Tao|598|52|
    CHARHEIKA Illia|597|52|
    BAKKEN Ole Magnus|597|47|
    HELLENBRAND Peter|596|51|
    PIASECKI Pierre Edmond|596|50|

It was a nail-biting qualification round, Moldoveanu finished very close to the time limit and did well not to drop a point shooting under pressure.

The final is on at 11:15 12:15 and you can see it on http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html Live Feed 2.

The final could be fairly straightforward, but if any of the top guys fluff a shot it could open up quite significantly. In 2008 there were 3.1 points between the best and worst final score so there's still plenty of chance for a shake up in the results.

Moldoveanu finished very close to the time limit
    Well, if they give you an hour and 45 minutes, you should use all of them ;)

The Men's Air Finals are starting now - the eurovision feed seems to be nice and stable for those watching from work watching without a tv...

Wow, Hellenbrand made the finals? Did not see that coming...

Damn GMT v BST. The finals are from 1215 a.k.a. 1115GMT.

Was starting to wonder that myself!

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Wow, Hellenbrand made the finals? Did not see that coming...

Yeah, he had a strong finish. He looked like he was going nowhere at the start, he began with a 97.

His series were 97 99 100 100 100 100.

Impressive to start with such a crappy string and be able to pull it together.

Damn GMT v BST. The finals are from 1215 a.k.a. 1115GMT.
    Panic attack and screaming at the computer averted.
    Well, put on hold really, given the track record of these things...

Yeah, he had a strong finish. He looked like he was going nowhere at the start, he began with a 97.
    His series were 97 99 100 100 100 100.
    Impressive to start with such a crappy string and be able to pull it together.
    Very much so. His coach must be preening right about now :D

Panic attack and screaming at the computer averted.
    Well, put on hold really, given the track record of these things...

I have my tunnel to the UK on standby in case I need the BBC feed. :D

Git :D
    What's the BBC URL (not the tunnel URL), just for fits and giggles?

Git :D
    What's the BBC URL (not the tunnel URL), just for fits and giggles?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

Here we go for Mens Air Rifle...

And we're off! Poor first start for Campriani, but he can certainly make it up from there. He never looked settled or comfortable on that one.

And a 9.7 is a disaster of a start for Campriani and he's into third straight away with Moldoveanu into the lead...

• Advertisement

Moldoveanu's taking his time on his shots - that's one complete refusal there - but it's paying off, with a 10.5 to keep the lead... but only by 0.6 ahead of Wang and 0.9 ahead of Campriani. And there's a few 9.9's and 9.7's shot so far...

Advertisement