Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympics 2012 Shooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Are none of the shooting events available to watch on the BBC website? I've missed a few.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Are none of the shooting events available to watch on the BBC website? I've missed a few.

No, as far as I know you have to be in the UK to view any of their video streams.

The Men's Skeet will start shortly.

A stream is available here: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

Live 5 is the one you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

channel 141 on sky press red then select and go to s and the shooting should be on at 2 o clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'd have sympathy for Nasser, the poor guy is shaking like a leaf!

You'd have sympathy for Nasser, the poor guy is shaking like a leaf!

Well, he got the bronze. :)

In his "spare time" he's also a rally driver. He won the Dakar in 2011! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 remmie223

My first time to see Olympic skeet shooting, when did they allow machines in the Olympics. :D:D Class!

IRLConor wrote: »
    Well, he got the bronze. :)

In his "spare time" he's also a rally driver. He won the Dakar in 2011! :eek:

I didn't say you'd have a *lot* of sympathy! :p And that's awesome. Some life, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Men's Skeet

40960510150969895048093.jpg

• Advertisement

And the winner:

39233610150969895543093.jpg

Hancock had a couple of good back to back days missing only twice in 150 tries on Tuesday and a perfect 25 of 25 in the final round to beat Anders Golding, Denmark, who hit 146.
    Qatar's Nasser Al-Attiya won a shoot-off over Russia's Valery Shomin for the bronze.

55747510150969892263093.jpg

37835410150969893438093.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 41 upandover

Really good day's sport. Will try to post a few pictures

Took gold with new OR

Last two

Upandover,

Excellent snapshot of Hancock's concentration.:cool:

• Advertisement

Cheers DB. I think his mental game is probably the best I've seen, up there with Digweed. First out from his squad for a quiet walk around with headphones on before each round. He turned away from the range and walked about keeping to himself when not shooting. Read an interview with him from the American press where he said he 'knew' he was going to win, in a simple matter of fact kind of way. Unbelievable confidence.

Another Olympic record set in the 25m sport pistol! This is shaping up to be a very dramatic games for shooting. Going to the final with five points of advantage on her nearest rival too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Women's pistol finals coming up now.
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012

For those who've not shot this before, it'll be 1 set of 5 sighter shots, then 4 sets of 5 shots each, shot in 3 seconds per shot at a single target (the men's equivalent event is a 4-second set at 5 seperate targets). Target is 25m away, 10-ring is 10cm across, iron sights, one-handed from the ready position (arm pointed downwards at 45 degrees).
    Should be fun :)

Here we go...

That's scarily accurate fast shooting :D
    When you can hit a 10.7 at 25 metres inside 2 seconds, including the raise from ready, that's impressive :D

• Advertisement

Half-way through and Kim's holding onto her lead...
    And Chen has yet to miss the ten ring :D

Leaderboard is Kim, then Chen only 2.7 points behind and closing fast, then Kostevych 0.9 points behind her. All to play for still...

Wow. Chen's an absolute machine out there. Five shots at 25 metres, less than 2 seconds each, and they're in about a 4cm group in the ten-ring. And with that, she's got the lead...

Leaderboard is now Chen, Kim (0.8 behind), Arunovic has grabbed third, 2.7 points behind Kim, and Kostevych is 0.9 behind her.

Here goes the last series...

That was very very tight for both the gold and bronze medals. Chen's two nines were the only ones of her finals but they cost her the gold medal :( Kostevych pulled out a fanstastic last series to slip back into bronze place ahead of Arunovic by only 0.7 points out of 788!

Gold - Kim
    Silver - Chen (1 point behind Kim)
    Bronze - Kostevych (2.8 points behind Chen)

Peter Wilson of England takes Olympic Gold at Double Trap with 188 x 200, edging Sweden’s Hakan Dahlby by two shots for the Silver. Russia’s Vasily Mosin won the bronze after winning a shootout with Fehaid al-Deehani of Kuwait. The two were tied in regulation at 185.

Wilson maintained a consistent lead, but was under pressure halfway through the finals, missing five targets — including a double — as Mosin narrowed the lead to one point.

Mosin was pi$$ed at his performance “You set to do your normal job, and then you try to do it a little bit better,” he said. “This is the main mistake. You have to do your job. Boom, boom and boom, boom, and nothing more.”

Good advise.

Good advice indeed! Hell of a result for Peter Wilson though. Massive wave of pressure and support with that home crowd behind him, but he hit it hard. Absolutely awesome!

Would be great to drum up a bit of support for Irish shooter Derek Burnett competing in Men's Trap qualifiers on Sunday.

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/men-trap/index.html?v=20120802-161023328

Great exposure for shooting sports in Ireland.

Watching men's prone qualifying scores come in, looks to be a very different story from the test event world cup shot there!

Is there anyone streaming the shooting online?

upandover wrote: »

no video from the qualifications or anything, but live results are here.

Martynov's done it again. His eighth time to equal the world record. The guy is just beyond all comprehension as an athlete.

Only the finals. www.eurovisionsports.tv

The channel "Live 6" will have the men's prone rifle final on at noon today then "Live 4" will have the rapid fire pistol final at 1430.

The schedule of what channel each thing is on is available here: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/epg/index.html

• Advertisement

51.6 the lowest score going through the shoot-off for men's prone. This is going to be an absolutely stonking final!

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/ also has per-sport clips and the live feeds all marked out (either scroll sideways on the top row and pick out the shooting icon, or type 'shooting' into the search box).

That's great, thanks

(How do you put thanks on someone's posts?)

That's great, thanks

(How do you put thanks on someone's posts?)

I can't remember what the limit is, but you need a minimum number of posts. Maybe 10? It's to stop people signing up dummy accounts to thank their own posts (and yes, people did that before the limit was put in).

Fair enough. Cheers IRLConor.

That eurovisionsports site is great, it has an excellent archive of past events.

Martynov is untouchable in 50m prone. Good to watch but no contest

Martynov BLR 705.5
    Cox BEL 701.2
    Debevec SLO 701.0

That was phenomenal. His eighth world record, followed up by a new final world record, breaking the sixteen year old former one. That won't be touched for a long old while. I don't reckon it'll be broken at all to be honest. And coming in in first and just grinding and grinding away, extending the lead is phenomenal.

Yeah, incredible ability under pressure. Second last shot of olympic final he puts in a 10.9

I don't reckon it'll be broken at all to be honest.

Yep, they'll change the rules first I think.

Rapid Fire Pistol done, good craic

Leuris Pupo 34 (=Finals OR)
    Vijay Kumar 30
    Ding Feng 27

• Advertisement

Yep, they'll change the rules first I think.

And if they haven't, our species will have moved on from this planet. :p

From here: http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx

Quotes from Martynov:

"I will throw the medal into a drawer. I never hang things up on the wall"

"Well, I have something to say today. Of course I finally smile. It is natural to feel happy because I have been over thirty years in this discipline and this is one of my best days."

And then, answering to whom was asking about his equipment dating back to the soviet era: “Well, a rifle isn't a wife but you have to look after it and give it tender, loving care. My jacket was probably made in 1996, but my idea is: why should I change something which works just fine?"

"I want to continue. This medal is not the end. I won a Gold at the Olympics, I believe this won’t change my life."

Pfeilschifter collapsed in the kneeling section of the 3x20. That could well be the end of her Olympic hopes. Have to say, that's very disappointing. She's been a proper champion for so long, and it looks like she could be finishing up without ever winning an Olympic medal. As to the rest of the final though, it looks great. four-way shoot-off for two places on 583, with third place very accessible for any of them, and the two scores at the top a good way ahead on 592 and 590. Bit upsetting though. Would have loved to see Sonja manage it at long last, and she was well in with a shot at it right up until the kneeling. That position will break you if you're unlucky or unprepared.

Yup, if Pfeilschifter had shot a 95 like her first kneeling string she would have made the final. She didn't need a miracle, she just needed to continue shooting as she was. Pity to see her go.

There have been some fantastic performances.

Gray, in 1st beat the Olympic record by 3 points and her international PB by 1. Considering the quality of her shooting career so far, beating her PB was always going to be hard. She has a fairly handy lead going into the final, but she's by no means uncatchable.

Maksimovic in 2nd also beat the old Olympic record and beat her international PB by 5 points. That's quite a performance to pull out of the bag under Olympic pressure. She has a 5 point lead over the bronze position so as long as she doesn't crack she has at least a silver and a fair crack at chasing down Gray for the gold. She has a world cup bronze in AR40 so I think it's safe to say she's a confident standing shooter. :)

Vdovina in 3rd didn't drop a point until her second standing string. 200/200 for prone is unusual enough in 3x20 as far as I know but following it up with a transition to standing and another 100 is impressive. She has a real fight on her hands to keep the bronze. There's quite a log of talent in the chasing pack.

Jessica Rossi's currently on for a world record 75/75 in the trap also:

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/women-trap/phase=shw401900/index.html?v=9012012080412

Jessica Rossi's currently on for a world record 75/75 in the trap also:

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/women-trap/phase=shw401900/index.html?v=9012012080412

And she's done it! New world record. It can only be equalled, never bettered. :D

• Advertisement

She's dropped one target in the final so far, but is still on course to smash the existing final world record of 96. In fact, with four targets left, she only has to break two for it.

Finished with 99. Came into the final with a new world record and two points ahead of her nearest rival and went on to stretch that lead to six targets over the final, setting a new final world record in the process. And, while Martynov's been doing his thing for over thirty years now, and has been an Olympian since Seoul, she's 20. She's still a junior. Now that's impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Has anyone a link to watch the shooting this mornin?

Only the finals. www.eurovisionsports.tv

The channel "Live 6" will have the men's prone rifle final on at noon today then "Live 4" will have the rapid fire pistol final at 1430.

The schedule of what channel each thing is on is available here: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/epg/index.html

Try this link from earlier in the thread or the bbc (may need a proxy). Just had a look and it seems only the finals are available on either site

• Advertisement
Advertisement