Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics 2012 Shooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

55747510150969892263093.jpg

37835410150969893438093.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 41 upandover

Really good day's sport. Will try to post a few pictures

Took gold with new OR

Last two

Upandover,

Excellent snapshot of Hancock's concentration.:cool:

• Advertisement

Cheers DB. I think his mental game is probably the best I've seen, up there with Digweed. First out from his squad for a quiet walk around with headphones on before each round. He turned away from the range and walked about keeping to himself when not shooting. Read an interview with him from the American press where he said he 'knew' he was going to win, in a simple matter of fact kind of way. Unbelievable confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Another Olympic record set in the 25m sport pistol! This is shaping up to be a very dramatic games for shooting. Going to the final with five points of advantage on her nearest rival too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Women's pistol finals coming up now.
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012

For those who've not shot this before, it'll be 1 set of 5 sighter shots, then 4 sets of 5 shots each, shot in 3 seconds per shot at a single target (the men's equivalent event is a 4-second set at 5 seperate targets). Target is 25m away, 10-ring is 10cm across, iron sights, one-handed from the ready position (arm pointed downwards at 45 degrees).
    Should be fun :)

Here we go...

That's scarily accurate fast shooting :D
    When you can hit a 10.7 at 25 metres inside 2 seconds, including the raise from ready, that's impressive :D

• Advertisement

Half-way through and Kim's holding onto her lead...
    And Chen has yet to miss the ten ring :D

Leaderboard is Kim, then Chen only 2.7 points behind and closing fast, then Kostevych 0.9 points behind her. All to play for still...

Wow. Chen's an absolute machine out there. Five shots at 25 metres, less than 2 seconds each, and they're in about a 4cm group in the ten-ring. And with that, she's got the lead...

Leaderboard is now Chen, Kim (0.8 behind), Arunovic has grabbed third, 2.7 points behind Kim, and Kostevych is 0.9 behind her.

Here goes the last series...

That was very very tight for both the gold and bronze medals. Chen's two nines were the only ones of her finals but they cost her the gold medal :( Kostevych pulled out a fanstastic last series to slip back into bronze place ahead of Arunovic by only 0.7 points out of 788!

Gold - Kim
    Silver - Chen (1 point behind Kim)
    Bronze - Kostevych (2.8 points behind Chen)

Peter Wilson of England takes Olympic Gold at Double Trap with 188 x 200, edging Sweden’s Hakan Dahlby by two shots for the Silver. Russia’s Vasily Mosin won the bronze after winning a shootout with Fehaid al-Deehani of Kuwait. The two were tied in regulation at 185.

Wilson maintained a consistent lead, but was under pressure halfway through the finals, missing five targets — including a double — as Mosin narrowed the lead to one point.

Mosin was pi$$ed at his performance “You set to do your normal job, and then you try to do it a little bit better,” he said. “This is the main mistake. You have to do your job. Boom, boom and boom, boom, and nothing more.”

Good advise.

Good advice indeed! Hell of a result for Peter Wilson though. Massive wave of pressure and support with that home crowd behind him, but he hit it hard. Absolutely awesome!

Would be great to drum up a bit of support for Irish shooter Derek Burnett competing in Men's Trap qualifiers on Sunday.

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/men-trap/index.html?v=20120802-161023328

Great exposure for shooting sports in Ireland.

Watching men's prone qualifying scores come in, looks to be a very different story from the test event world cup shot there!

Is there anyone streaming the shooting online?

upandover wrote: »

no video from the qualifications or anything, but live results are here.

Martynov's done it again. His eighth time to equal the world record. The guy is just beyond all comprehension as an athlete.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Only the finals. www.eurovisionsports.tv

The channel "Live 6" will have the men's prone rifle final on at noon today then "Live 4" will have the rapid fire pistol final at 1430.

The schedule of what channel each thing is on is available here: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/epg/index.html

• Advertisement

51.6 the lowest score going through the shoot-off for men's prone. This is going to be an absolutely stonking final!

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/ also has per-sport clips and the live feeds all marked out (either scroll sideways on the top row and pick out the shooting icon, or type 'shooting' into the search box).

That's great, thanks

(How do you put thanks on someone's posts?)

That's great, thanks

(How do you put thanks on someone's posts?)

I can't remember what the limit is, but you need a minimum number of posts. Maybe 10? It's to stop people signing up dummy accounts to thank their own posts (and yes, people did that before the limit was put in).

Fair enough. Cheers IRLConor.

That eurovisionsports site is great, it has an excellent archive of past events.

Martynov is untouchable in 50m prone. Good to watch but no contest

Martynov BLR 705.5
    Cox BEL 701.2
    Debevec SLO 701.0

That was phenomenal. His eighth world record, followed up by a new final world record, breaking the sixteen year old former one. That won't be touched for a long old while. I don't reckon it'll be broken at all to be honest. And coming in in first and just grinding and grinding away, extending the lead is phenomenal.

Yeah, incredible ability under pressure. Second last shot of olympic final he puts in a 10.9

I don't reckon it'll be broken at all to be honest.

Yep, they'll change the rules first I think.

Rapid Fire Pistol done, good craic

Leuris Pupo 34 (=Finals OR)
    Vijay Kumar 30
    Ding Feng 27

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    Yep, they'll change the rules first I think.

And if they haven't, our species will have moved on from this planet. :p

Advertisement