Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics 2012 Shooting

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IRLConor wrote: »
    That's nuts. The two army lads had both shot the MQS in rapid fire pistol and Mick Gault had an MQS in free pistol and he and five others had shot the air pistol MQS and they didn't send any of them?
    Nope. They'd set a British minimum selection score, but they'd set it far higher than the MQS (to the point where it was higher than what the best in the sport were hitting regularly); and even though one of them hit it in an elimination round, it didn't count. And they didn't have a lot of time to hit it - something like two WCs between announcement and deadline.
    It's a bit daft really.

Not the only controversy in pistol though - Alexei Klimov is not happy about the rapid fire pistol finals and to be honest, I agree with him; I really don't like that dump-the-qualification score, falling-plate elimination round format. Especially with the 9.7 threshold for a hit. I want to see the point of impact, not a green or red light; you get spectators into the event by showing them more of what's happening, not less! And the format's turned the outcome into a bit of a lottery really. Just not well-considered IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I absolutely hate what they've done to rapid-fire pistol, and yet all the organisation's press material on it was massively positive, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar with other finals. I'd be absolutely disgusted, but not at all surprised.

There's a disturbing sense of a disconnect between those in the sport and those administering the rulebook allright; I'm rather apprehensive about what the new rules will be after the games wrap up, especially any changes with regard to the synthetic materials in the jackets and trousers...

Very true! Opinions on the athlete presentation after the sighting shots in finals is still mixed, though people are coming to accept, if not love it. However, I don't think you can change the actual match without damaging it. Certainly, rapid fire pistol has been ruined by the change in finals format, and any of the rifle events would suffer similarly. As to the materials, anyone with even a casual eye on proceedings would note that it really doesn't seem to make a difference what you wear, so any changes are absolutely not going to do anything for the sport.

Derek in action now. Hard to read the live feed for the clays, but he's lost a few places so far. Hopefully gains them back with interest though. Men's 3x40 is very tight at the moment. Campriani out in front after the standing, but there are about twenty places well in contention for it after the kneeling. Pretty rare that a 3x40 will be truly decided by the kneeling stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Michael Diamond sets new Olympic Trap record with 125/125 and is one target clear heading into the final. With form like that I would expect him to win his third Goal medal in this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 upandover

Derek shot well but not enough for the finals. Would have been great to see an Irish guy in the finals.

Katy dealt out a superb performance and is into the semis in the womens 60k on the up side.

Emmons needed a 9.0 on his last shot to clinch silver in the rifle three position and pulled it for a 7.6. Bad case of the heebs.

The target is here http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/men-50m-rifle-3-positions/phase=shm104100/index.html

Edit: not the first time either

"The last shot by Emmons was reminiscent of his disastrous finale at the Beijing Games where he shot a 4.4 when leading to lose out on a medal.
    That followed his 2004 Athens Games meltdown where he hit a target in the adjoining lane when set to clinch gold."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/10375984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Double shoot off for the gold and bronze in the trap final.

Gold- Croatia ( cerenogaraz) vs Italy (Fabrizzi)

Bronze- Kuwait (Aldeehani) vs Australia (Diamond)

And despite setting a new Olympic record and equal world record, Diamond's going home empty handed! :eek: Goes to show you've to keep swinging right until the final bell.

Man that was an exciting final round for the mens trap, at one point 5 of the 6 shooters were on 137. Ended in shootoffs for gold and bronze at 145 and 146.
    Diamond went in having gone 5 rounds straight and dropped 5 ending up in a shootoff for bronze and losing 4:3 to Aldeehani. Cernogoraz was bottom of the qualifiers going into the final round with 121 and went straight despite a no-bird on the last. He took gold against Fabbrizi 5:6.

• Advertisement

What did you guys think of the camera shots from out front for the shotgun events? Bloody incredible to get the angles they did without interfering with the shooters.

Sad to see Derek not place higher - you have to wonder, if he had the support and resources that they ploughed into Diamond, would he do better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

As far as I am concerned there is no wonder at all. At this level of competition it is total commitment, athletes and resources.

Heard an interview with him afterwards. He seemed in good form, was pleased with the consistency and just wished it could have been a bit higher. It's great that he's taking it well though. As he says, it was just not good enough for this level of competition. As to the question of resources, well, he'd certainly be better. Would he be winning? That's something we'll never find out until there's a massive overhaul of how we approach international sport in this country, but given what he's done with the resources and support available, it's certainly not unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

WHAT WAS DEREKS FINAL PLACING? and how did the croat not have to wear glasses?

27th in the end bayliner: 24,23,23,23,23 for 116/125, 9 birds behind Michael Diamond.

cheers sparks:)... didnt get to see derek shooting, every time i went to get it on i couldnt find it anywhere:mad:, seen the final alright and couldnt figure out why yer man wasnt wearing glasses:rolleyes:.... still dont know, must be a medical thing???:eek: not complaining! just thought it was odd

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The qualification rounds weren't televised for any of the shooting events. :mad:

At least we got the finals. Be thankful for small mercies!

IRLConor wrote: »
    The qualification rounds weren't televised for any of the shooting events. :mad:

At least we got the finals. Be thankful for small mercies!
    its typical isnt it!!! never gets decent coverage!

Was annoyed at that alright. The feeds were great, but I'd like to see the unedited video of the qualification rounds.

Hell, if NASA can show an unedited, uninterrupted video feed from the Curiosity control room during landing, then any argument about technical difficulties is just bull.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Was annoyed at that alright. The feeds were great, but I'd like to see the unedited video of the qualification rounds.

TBH, I'd be happy to buy them if the price was reasonable. The training value of close examination of top level shooters is worth a lot. Even the little I got through the binoculars at the London World Cup this year was useful.

Ditto. Some of the most useful stuff in Kuortane was the video analysis of shot routines from world cups and the like, but you really do need to zoom in on the shooter; I guess those support teams behind the shooters are good for something after all ;)

Some great videos from the Olympics up on the IOC youtube channel at the moment.

Advertisement