Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going abroad for IVF.

Options
  • 29-07-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I recently found out that I will not be able to conceive naturally and will need IVF. My partner and I are not particularly rolling in cash at the minute, but I really would like to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. I am very aware of the fact that it could take a few tries of IVF, presuming of course if it works at all. We have been attending the Merrion fertility clinic where the prices for IVF are about 4.5-5k including tests etc.

Anyway now to the point, I have been browsing the web this morning and I see that India is a good place to go for IVF but I would not like to travel that far and was looking a bit closer to home, places like Poland and Romania where IVF ranges from 600e to 900. Has anyone gone anywhere abroad for IVF? And if so what was the experience like? I am aware of all the horror stories that have been told about the “dental tourism” but there seems to be little info regarding people travelling to these places for IVF.

So, thanks in advance if anyone has any stories, advice or links I should read, as I have only really started looking at this today:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

My partner and myself find ourselves in a similar situation and would be intersted to know if anyone has any experiences or insights into IVF abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have not had IVF abroad, and don't know anyone who has (apart from UK and holland, but they are not much cheaper than here). But the travel and accomodation and time off work would be a big offset I would guess.

An IVF cycle can take a while to complete, as they monitor and scan you the whole way. So anywhere from 3 weeks up to 7 weeks of appointments, some every 2 days in parts. So you could go over and back, or stay for the whole lot. It depends on the clinic, and your own situation as well, but often the first cycle isn't a success... So then at is another block of time off used.

Unless you have loads of holidays, and have friends or family to stay with there, What you save in appointment costs and drugs may be wiped out by the travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Hi goingabroad, I am so sorry that you are in this situation, it is very tough news to be given but you are right to be thinking of starting sooner rather than later and, hopefully, your journey will have a happy ending.

We went to a clinic called Reprofit in Brno in the Czech Republic for fertility treatment and I really cannot recommend them highly enough. Suffice to say, I am sitting here now with my beautiful little one sleeping beside me! We didn't have full IVF with them but I know a number of people who did go there for that and I think it was relatively straightforward, you need to go over for an initial consultation, you have your scans with a private scanning clinic here, then go over there for about a week from egg collection to transfer. They are about half the price of here for treatment, so even with flights, hotels etc. it works out considerably cheaper and the level of expertise and care is really excellent.

Going abroad can seem daunting, I know, but we used to treat it as a mini-break as well to try and take some of the stress off (we got to know Prague very well as that was where we usually flew into!). It was certainly the best thing we ever did!

Hope this helps and very, very best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Hi Folks,

we have begun the process of treatment abroad - Turkey.

We initially had been getting investigations here in Ireland, but to be honest I felt that there was no real sense of urgency and we had to push and ask for the next step to be initiated. We have heard of friends of friends who had success in Turkey and as my sister lives there we looked into going there.

So we got a cheap flight with Aer Lingus for €120 return and went over for 10 days. During that time we had initial tests (didn't need everything done (such as semen analysis and rubella tests etc) as we had them done here but we had scans on day 2, day 5 and day 10, bloods for me, and I have been given medications in anticipation for the start of treatment.

We have two choices - we can either go for 21 days and have everything done there (so from day 2, scans, meds, injections, folicle monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, implantation).
    Or we can have day 2 to 7/8 monitored in Ireland and then head over to Turkey just before egg retrieval. I am waiting on confirmation of cost in Ireland for this. The plus of this method is that if for any reason the medication is not successful and good quality eggs are not available we won't have travelled only to be told the process has to be abandoned for that month.

As far as cost goes, if we have everything done in Turkey (21 days) then the cost is 6000 Turkish lira for treatment, start to finish inc meds and all consultations and scans, ICSI and IVF and 3000 for flights and accommodation (inc meals) and travel incidentals for 21 days. So 9000 lira which is about €3800. And success rates are higher than in Ireland. And in calculating the accommodation prices we have chosen a 3 star, decent standard apart-hotel so we don't have to eat out all the time and it is close to the hospital and we have also even allowed a few nights out of the city in a holiday resort (Cesme) and included a couple of hundred euro for taxi's/ transfers that sort of thing. The only thing not included in this price is if we decide to do anything 'holiday-ish' like sightseeing etc.

If we choose to have the first portion in Ireland, the Turkish part will be 4000, plus about 1500 for flights and accom. So less than €2500. Plus the charges for the monitoring in Ireland, although we haven't been given confirmation of the cost for that yet. I'll let you know once we have this confirmed. I can't imagine it would cost more than €1000/1500.

So either way, all in we are looking at about €3500-€4000 as opposed to €5500 for Ireland.

The initial consultation with the doctor was €75 (inc scans) and blood tests were €165. If we return for the treatment this will be deducted from the final price. We were also given a prescription for meds to start 2 mths before the IVF process and this came to a grand total of €7.50 from the chemist next door! lol

Turkish Airlines offer a medical tourism package, and many of the hospitals can arrange this for you. Basically you get between 10-20% discount on the price of flights, and you get an extra 10kg baggage and also can make changes to the booking without any penalties or charges for it. This offer is for the person receiving treatment and up to two people accompanying them. (You can also make use of this offer if you want to get dental or plastic surgery!).

Aer Lingus do flights to Izmir from March to October and prices vary but are from as little as €120 per person return up to €500 per person. However, of course you will have to pay extra if you need to reschedule or if you want to additional baggage.

Before travelling to Turkey we contacted 4 different hospitals. 2 in Istanbul, 2 in Izmir. After speaking with them, we decided to go with Izmir and then went to meet with doctors in both hospitals. We ended up choosing the one we did because we were really impressed with the hospital reputation. All the doctors in all the hospitals we spoke to had excellent excellent English so there was no issue with language.

The hospital we chose is highly respected in several disciplines and is accredited with American hospitals also. The facilities are wonderful and I don't think I have ever seen such clean and well presented medical staff - even the scrubs are pristine and starched! not like the way staff dress in Irish hospitals. There is even a guy playing a grand piano in the foyer - it feels more like a hotel than a hospital. And one thing which really impressed me is that the Fertility clinic are also consulting with other disciplines, as I have underlying medical conditions. So for no extra charge they had be meet with two other consultants and they are liaising with the Gynae team to ensure my health is optimum to improve the chances of success. This really impressed me as I know for a fact that my consultants here in Ireland for my other conditions wouldn't bother liaising with my gynae!

As I say, we have not fully decided what route to take, but as soon as I have more info I will update. For us, we need a bit of time to save, so we are hoping to begin treatment in March 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Fantastic post, HL, and thanks so much for taking the time to share..just a reminder to any posters who may join the thread after this point that we do not allow clinics to be named.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 seborah

Would like to recommend a hospital in Holland in Voorburg (its a suburb of the Hague)

Cost 1500-1800 euro excluding meds, they have good success rates one of the best in the Netherlands. I have my LO from my 2nd IVF there, while I was living there. I know about them as I lived in Holland for a few years and I speak Dutch(I'm Irish)

Staff speak good English, they are very efficient but can come across as a bit abrupt (kinda German like) but personally I can put up with it for the cost.

PM me if need any more info, hope this helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ali_s

Hi hello lady...great post just wondering did u decide if u will go to turkey or do the mix of turkey and Ireland??

Thanks,

Ali

Hi Folks,

we have begun the process of treatment abroad - Turkey.

We initially had been getting investigations here in Ireland, but to be honest I felt that there was no real sense of urgency and we had to push and ask for the next step to be initiated. We have heard of friends of friends who had success in Turkey and as my sister lives there we looked into going there.

So we got a cheap flight with Aer Lingus for €120 return and went over for 10 days. During that time we had initial tests (didn't need everything done (such as semen analysis and rubella tests etc) as we had them done here but we had scans on day 2, day 5 and day 10, bloods for me, and I have been given medications in anticipation for the start of treatment.

We have two choices - we can either go for 21 days and have everything done there (so from day 2, scans, meds, injections, folicle monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, implantation).
    Or we can have day 2 to 7/8 monitored in Ireland and then head over to Turkey just before egg retrieval. I am waiting on confirmation of cost in Ireland for this. The plus of this method is that if for any reason the medication is not successful and good quality eggs are not available we won't have travelled only to be told the process has to be abandoned for that month.

As far as cost goes, if we have everything done in Turkey (21 days) then the cost is 6000 Turkish lira for treatment, start to finish inc meds and all consultations and scans, ICSI and IVF and 3000 for flights and accommodation (inc meals) and travel incidentals for 21 days. So 9000 lira which is about €3800. And success rates are higher than in Ireland. And in calculating the accommodation prices we have chosen a 3 star, decent standard apart-hotel so we don't have to eat out all the time and it is close to the hospital and we have also even allowed a few nights out of the city in a holiday resort (Cesme) and included a couple of hundred euro for taxi's/ transfers that sort of thing. The only thing not included in this price is if we decide to do anything 'holiday-ish' like sightseeing etc.

If we choose to have the first portion in Ireland, the Turkish part will be 4000, plus about 1500 for flights and accom. So less than €2500. Plus the charges for the monitoring in Ireland, although we haven't been given confirmation of the cost for that yet. I'll let you know once we have this confirmed. I can't imagine it would cost more than €1000/1500.

So either way, all in we are looking at about €3500-€4000 as opposed to €5500 for Ireland.

The initial consultation with the doctor was €75 (inc scans) and blood tests were €165. If we return for the treatment this will be deducted from the final price. We were also given a prescription for meds to start 2 mths before the IVF process and this came to a grand total of €7.50 from the chemist next door! lol

Turkish Airlines offer a medical tourism package, and many of the hospitals can arrange this for you. Basically you get between 10-20% discount on the price of flights, and you get an extra 10kg baggage and also can make changes to the booking without any penalties or charges for it. This offer is for the person receiving treatment and up to two people accompanying them. (You can also make use of this offer if you want to get dental or plastic surgery!).

Aer Lingus do flights to Izmir from March to October and prices vary but are from as little as €120 per person return up to €500 per person. However, of course you will have to pay extra if you need to reschedule or if you want to additional baggage.

Before travelling to Turkey we contacted 4 different hospitals. 2 in Istanbul, 2 in Izmir. After speaking with them, we decided to go with Izmir and then went to meet with doctors in both hospitals. We ended up choosing the one we did because we were really impressed with the hospital reputation. All the doctors in all the hospitals we spoke to had excellent excellent English so there was no issue with language.

The hospital we chose is highly respected in several disciplines and is accredited with American hospitals also. The facilities are wonderful and I don't think I have ever seen such clean and well presented medical staff - even the scrubs are pristine and starched! not like the way staff dress in Irish hospitals. There is even a guy playing a grand piano in the foyer - it feels more like a hotel than a hospital. And one thing which really impressed me is that the Fertility clinic are also consulting with other disciplines, as I have underlying medical conditions. So for no extra charge they had be meet with two other consultants and they are liaising with the Gynae team to ensure my health is optimum to improve the chances of success. This really impressed me as I know for a fact that my consultants here in Ireland for my other conditions wouldn't bother liaising with my gynae!

As I say, we have not fully decided what route to take, but as soon as I have more info I will update. For us, we need a bit of time to save, so we are hoping to begin treatment in March 2013.

ali_s wrote: »
    Hi hello lady...great post just wondering did u decide if u will go to turkey or do the mix of turkey and Ireland??

Thanks,

Ali

sorry for taking so long to reply folks - after months of trawling the internet and discussing things adnauseum on forae, once we decided to book treatment, I decided for my own sanity to reduce the amount of research I've been doing! and I have to say, I feel much better for it.

We have decided to go to Turkey completely. When we priced around, it was just more complicated and harder to organise to get half and half Turkey and Ireland. Some places just won't do it, others need you to apply for it and be assessed.

My main worry was to take so much time off work, and then if it doesn't work, I won't have many holidays left to go back and try again. But after advice from a few doctors, they recommend having all the treatment at the one facility. Splitting it only marginally reduces the success rate clinically, but from a 'stress' point of view the doctor thinks it would be better to just be treated at the one place, and I agree.

We are also being optimistic that there may be a good amount of eggs to harvest - if this is the case then if it doesn't work, round two won't require me being in Turkey for so long, as they won't have to do egg retrieval again, only implantation.

So we are booked to go end April/start May. I am on meds to regulate my cycle (which ironically means I can't get pregnant! and despite knowing that the chances were slim anyway, I almost feel like a traitor to the cause! lol). The month before we go, I will change meds, and I also have to get bloods done here and bring the results with me.

We are organising our accommodation at the moment. We have organised an apartment for €350 (some are as little as €325 for a 1 bed and up to about €500 - we found a really nice little apartment close to the hospital, near all amenities. Our doctor actually put us onto it as and my sister who lives in Turkey checked it out and its lovely (unfortunately she doesn't live near the hospital or we'd be staying with her!). We will only need it for 3 weeks, but thought it easier just to rent for a full month. The apartments are close to the hospital, so not in a tourist area. But I like the idea of not being in a hotel - I prefer a more 'homely' feel and think I will relax more. I think it will be better to have our own space rather than be in a hotel for 3 weeks (we are going to Izmir, so its not a holiday resort place where you could hang out on the beach on the days you are not at the hospital!).

We are also going to book a few days in a hotel in Cesme in between each stage - for the days when we will literally just be waiting for the next step.

Total price is coming in at around €4000 (at current exchange rates). This breaks down as
    €270 flights (aer lingus, €135 return per person)
    €100 for airport transfers (the bus from the airport is actually only €10 each way, but we are allowing extra)
    €350 apartment
    €2500 treatment (6000 Turkish lira, which at current exchange rates is about €2500) This includes all treatment from start to finish, ICSI, all medications and blood tests etc, any in-patient treatment that might be needed (god forbid), assisted hatching and embryo storage for 1 year.
    €100 utilities for apartment
    €400 food (which should be LOADS as Turkey is very cheap to eat and as we will have our own apartment we can do a shop and eat in the apartment - I think we probably won't even spend this much cos we don't even spend €100 a week on food here, but we are being generous just in case.)
    €300 - incidentals (the odd taxi, sightseeing, bus fares etc)

We also have to pay €350 security deposit on the apartment, but obviously this will be returned unless we take a fancy to trashing the place! lol

We are chosing to spend an extra €150 on hotels and about that again on travel and meals so we can spend a few days in Cesme just for relaxation. We are anticipating to end up spending around €4500, and that is a generous estimate, we may well spend a less on food and things!

This is not a huge amount less than Ireland - we were quoted €4750 treatment with ICSI, plus meds (which the drug payment scheme should cover most of). This price didn't include assisted hatching or storage. And obviously there is no accommodation needed etc. But I just feel like my gut is telling me to try Turkey, I don't know why. I think the doctors just gave me more of a good vibe - my doctor here was great, but I just felt they understood the urgency I feel in Turkey more. Dunno, maybe its daft, but on this one, I'm going with my gut. also statistically Turkey has a slightly higher success rate.

I probably won't be on here again until closer to our leaving, or possibly even after we return. But I will update you, it will either be a good result or a bad one! but I will give an honest review of how it went and whether it was worth the travel or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Good luck hello lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I am going to be doing my IVF treatment in the UK. I was wondering if it is possbile to get the prescription rewritten by an Irish doctor to qualify for the Drugs payment scheme?TIA

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I am going to be doing my IVF treatment in the UK. I was wondering if it is possbile to get the prescription rewritten by an Irish doctor to qualify for the Drugs payment scheme?TIA

I think any doctor would insist on their own examination before prescribing drugs, but there is no harm in asking your GP/Specialist. You could even ask the pharmacist if they can fill a prescription by a UK doctor in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Hi, I'm having IVF in the UK also. My pharmacist will accept the clinic in the UK's prescription now as it's not the first time I've been getting these drugs. I think you should inform your GP and she can provide you with a high tech prescription if the pharmacy require it. But I've qualified for the DPS with all my drugs.

Hi Folks,

just popping in to give an update! We ended up changing our plans and went at the end of March/start of April rather than May - it was better with work etc for both of us,

Well the good news is.....BFP!!! 12 days post transfer HCG levels were 250 and have continued to increase steadily :) I'm now 3.5 weeks post transfer and so far so good. I still find it hard to believe to be honest, and am still a bit apprehensive about getting too excited until 12 week scan, but we are so thrilled.

As for the treatment....well it all went really well. I did experience a bit of a hiccup in that the doctor I was scheduled with originally, the main english speaking guy, had to take a few days off right when I was due to have my collection and transfer as his mum took ill. The other docs spoke ok english, but it was a bit difficult on occasion. My sister speaks the language but not well enough for medical discussions, but luckily her sister in law was able to come with us as she speaks fluent english and could translate anything we were having difficulty with. Had that not been the case I think with everything that goes on I would have found it quite stressful, but it all worked out well in the end.

Everything went really smoothly. I went to the hospital day 3, day 7, day 9, day 13, day 15 (egg retrieval), day 18 (transfer). Each visit I had a blood test, and I have to say they were the easiest blood draws I have ever had! I normally have a tough time as I have an autoimmune disease so my viens can be very thin and flimsy, but everytime, first time the phlebotomists got it, and never even left a bruise! Results of the bloods would be back about an hour later. In the mean time I would have a scan and then once the results were back would meet with either the doctor or the IVF co-ordinator.

I was put on a med protocol day 3 - daily injections. Post transfer I was put on progesterone injections, gel and tabs and I am still on them and will remain so until week 12. I was sent home with a bagfull to last 12 weeks (even though there was a chance I might not need them, had the test been negative, the meds were included in the package so they gave them regardless).

The clinic was very clean, efficient and the staff were all really lovely. Even the ones with little english were still really supportive and sweet.

We collected 12 eggs, 6 fertilised but in the end only 2 were of good enough quality to implant. S nothing to freeze, so it would have been all or nothing. Thankfully, so far its all! 2 emryos were implanted, and I am DYING to know if there is one or two buns in there now....the scan can't come soon enough!

With regards to the experience, I will admit at times it was a bit stressful with the language issue, but then again we did use a clinic which is not specifically targeting the foreign market, so they tend to deal mostly with Turks. The reason for this is because it was close to where my sister lives and had been recommended by several people she knows. But even for others without family ties over there, I would still definitely recommend Turkey as their private medical facilities are excellent (I know people travel from lots of European and middle eastern countries for a range of medical treatments, not just IVF). It would probably be more practical however for Irish clients to choose a clinic in Istanbul who specifically deal with the foreign clients, as they will have more English speaking staff and will arrange accommodation for you.

I suppose for me the hardest part was that it was 3 weeks almost constantly in the city. I was starting to climb the walls abit by the middle of the second week. We did get to head out of the city twice and hit the beach, but if we hadn't done that I think I would have been really frustrated. You are away from home, and as Istanbul or Izmir are working cities and not holiday resorts after the first week or so you have done all the touristy things and then you start to get bored. You are out of your normal routine, and away from your home comforts. We had an apartment which helped as at least we could eat dinner as normal and watch TV, but some hospitals put you up in a hotel and I think 3 weeks in even the nicest hotel would drive me nuts. Some clever person needs to build a hospital in Kusadasi or Bodrum and market it to the tourists - beach holiday and medical treatment all in one!

All in all it was a positive experience (in every way) and if we decide to try again I would go back. But as I say, for those of you without connections/family in Turkey, I recommend a hospital who offer a medical tourism package as it will be much less stressful.

Costs came in at what we were expecting, even with spending money etc. Not that much cheaper than Ireland when you consider that here you will get all or most of your drugs on the DPS, but we did still save about €1500 on what it would have cost here (and that is with the drugs having cost almost €1000 - in fact I suppose when you consider everything else, that is really the bulk of the cost).

If we decide to try again in the future, given that the protocol worked well this time, they would just issue a prescription and then all I would need is for my GP to put that prescription on an Irish script and we can get the meds here as part of DPS and bring them with us. I have already discussed this with my GP and he is happy to do this once the hospital provide him with a copy of my file from this cycle, which they have done. So if we go again it will be about €1000 cheaper and in that case it will be about half of the cost of Ireland.

Good luck to all the rest of you trying, thinking, planning, hoping!

If you want any more info please do not hesitate to ask on here or PM me. I'm not on here all that often, so it might take me a while to reply, but I will get around to it at some stage (although in about 36 weeks time I can't guarantee I'll have much time for anything anymore! ;) )

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭layviae

Hi Folks,

just popping in to give an update! We ended up changing our plans and went at the end of March/start of April rather than May - it was better with work etc for both of us,

Well the good news is.....BFP!!! 12 days post transfer HCG levels were 250 and have continued to increase steadily :) I'm now 3.5 weeks post transfer and so far so good. I still find it hard to believe to be honest, and am still a bit apprehensive about getting too excited until 12 week scan, but we are so thrilled.

As for the treatment....well it all went really well. I did experience a bit of a hiccup in that the doctor I was scheduled with originally, the main english speaking guy, had to take a few days off right when I was due to have my collection and transfer as his mum took ill. The other docs spoke ok english, but it was a bit difficult on occasion. My sister speaks the language but not well enough for medical discussions, but luckily her sister in law was able to come with us as she speaks fluent english and could translate anything we were having difficulty with. Had that not been the case I think with everything that goes on I would have found it quite stressful, but it all worked out well in the end.

Everything went really smoothly. I went to the hospital day 3, day 7, day 9, day 13, day 15 (egg retrieval), day 18 (transfer). Each visit I had a blood test, and I have to say they were the easiest blood draws I have ever had! I normally have a tough time as I have an autoimmune disease so my viens can be very thin and flimsy, but everytime, first time the phlebotomists got it, and never even left a bruise! Results of the bloods would be back about an hour later. In the mean time I would have a scan and then once the results were back would meet with either the doctor or the IVF co-ordinator.

I was put on a med protocol day 3 - daily injections. Post transfer I was put on progesterone injections, gel and tabs and I am still on them and will remain so until week 12. I was sent home with a bagfull to last 12 weeks (even though there was a chance I might not need them, had the test been negative, the meds were included in the package so they gave them regardless).

The clinic was very clean, efficient and the staff were all really lovely. Even the ones with little english were still really supportive and sweet.

We collected 12 eggs, 6 fertilised but in the end only 2 were of good enough quality to implant. S nothing to freeze, so it would have been all or nothing. Thankfully, so far its all! 2 emryos were implanted, and I am DYING to know if there is one or two buns in there now....the scan can't come soon enough!

With regards to the experience, I will admit at times it was a bit stressful with the language issue, but then again we did use a clinic which is not specifically targeting the foreign market, so they tend to deal mostly with Turks. The reason for this is because it was close to where my sister lives and had been recommended by several people she knows. But even for others without family ties over there, I would still definitely recommend Turkey as their private medical facilities are excellent (I know people travel from lots of European and middle eastern countries for a range of medical treatments, not just IVF). It would probably be more practical however for Irish clients to choose a clinic in Istanbul who specifically deal with the foreign clients, as they will have more English speaking staff and will arrange accommodation for you.

I suppose for me the hardest part was that it was 3 weeks almost constantly in the city. I was starting to climb the walls abit by the middle of the second week. We did get to head out of the city twice and hit the beach, but if we hadn't done that I think I would have been really frustrated. You are away from home, and as Istanbul or Izmir are working cities and not holiday resorts after the first week or so you have done all the touristy things and then you start to get bored. You are out of your normal routine, and away from your home comforts. We had an apartment which helped as at least we could eat dinner as normal and watch TV, but some hospitals put you up in a hotel and I think 3 weeks in even the nicest hotel would drive me nuts. Some clever person needs to build a hospital in Kusadasi or Bodrum and market it to the tourists - beach holiday and medical treatment all in one!

All in all it was a positive experience (in every way) and if we decide to try again I would go back. But as I say, for those of you without connections/family in Turkey, I recommend a hospital who offer a medical tourism package as it will be much less stressful.

Costs came in at what we were expecting, even with spending money etc. Not that much cheaper than Ireland when you consider that here you will get all or most of your drugs on the DPS, but we did still save about €1500 on what it would have cost here (and that is with the drugs having cost almost €1000 - in fact I suppose when you consider everything else, that is really the bulk of the cost).

If we decide to try again in the future, given that the protocol worked well this time, they would just issue a prescription and then all I would need is for my GP to put that prescription on an Irish script and we can get the meds here as part of DPS and bring them with us. I have already discussed this with my GP and he is happy to do this once the hospital provide him with a copy of my file from this cycle, which they have done. So if we go again it will be about €1000 cheaper and in that case it will be about half of the cost of Ireland.

Good luck to all the rest of you trying, thinking, planning, hoping!

If you want any more info please do not hesitate to ask on here or PM me. I'm not on here all that often, so it might take me a while to reply, but I will get around to it at some stage (although in about 36 weeks time I can't guarantee I'll have much time for anything anymore! ;) )

:)

congratulations, have a brilliant pregnancy xxx

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Massive congratulations to you. Best of luck in your pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

How much is it costing in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

How much is it costing in the UK?

Hi, I did IVF through egg sharing, so it was completely free. But looking at the prices they are pretty much the same if not a little higher than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I'm not even sure I'll need IVF yet but it's good to have some info on it anyway. Hopefully I won't need it but at this stage I just don't know

Advertisement