Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANY PAYMENT/GRANT

Options
  • 29-07-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello, I need some advice i'm living at home with my parents i have no income. I have appiled for a course starting in september interviews are august so haven't been accepted yet. I am going to apply for a grant but as i've gotten one a few years back i really don't think i'll get another one even if i am accepted i will need to get get bus there and back luckily i have some cash saved from the last grant i got. Are they any kind of payments i can apply for? I'm going mad at home my parents won't allow me apply for dole which makes it even more difficult as you have to be in receipt of social welfare to qualify for back to education allowance. At the moment i don't think there is much i can do which is really depressing, is there anyone else in the same boat? what did u do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

What do you mean your parents wont "allow" you??????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

If you want to apply for the dole, go apply for it. If you're old enough to be on the dole you're old enough to make your own mind up about it, not just do as your parents say. You wouldn't be able to go to college until next year though because you have to be claiming a certain amount of time to get BTEA.

It wont hurt to apply for the grant though. Also some colleges offer financial assistance, so find out from wherever you're applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SHELDON88

they tell me some of there payments will probably be cut if i do apply

SHELDON88 wrote: »
    they tell me some of there payments will probably be cut if i do apply

I don't really see how their payments would be cut. If you're entitled to it, apply for it. If you start your course now you wont get BTEA for the duration of it. You need to be on the dole 6-9 months depending on the course you want to do to apply for BTEA.

Also, you can ask loads of places for help. I am refused the grant every year because my parents are something like €50 over the limit. I got on to everyone, even the Lord Mayor of Dublin asking if there was anywhere else I could go for help. Some colleges offer assistance to students who need it. Look at everything on studentfinance.ie to see can you get any scholarship or anything. Go to citizens information and ask do they know anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SHELDON88

Hi Muir how do you actually manage then if you dont mind me asking did you actually receive any payments after doing all that? i have no idea what to do now interviews are at the end of this month & i didnt realise i would have to pay a tuition fee of €300 before i can start, i read it wrong i'm on medical card so dont have to pay the additional goverment fee of €200 so i tought i was covered for the tuition fee too but im not, i do have enough to pay the fee but its a risk as i will have to pay bus fees aswell plus if i dont get the grant which i dont think i will i'm left with nothing

• Advertisement

I managed to get some financial help from my college & from someone in my area thankfully. I really did ask everywhere I could think of. And my parents are great & help me out as much as they can. Many colleges offer some kinds of financial assistance, so phone up & ask. €300 isn't awful (when you compare to third level fees of over 2000), will your parents not help you out since they wont let you go on the social welfare? Make sure you get a student travelcard when you start college to help get cheaper bus fares.

Also if it would make it easier for you to not have to pay the €300 upfront, like maybe split it over time, ask your college, they might allow you to pay it in halves or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Muir wrote: »
    I managed to get some financial help from my college & from someone in my area thankfully. I really did ask everywhere I could think of. And my parents are great & help me out as much as they can. Many colleges offer some kinds of financial assistance, so phone up & ask. €300 isn't awful (when you compare to third level fees of over 2000), will your parents not help you out since they wont let you go on the social welfare? Make sure you get a student travelcard when you start college to help get cheaper bus fares.

Also if it would make it easier for you to not have to pay the €300 upfront, like maybe split it over time, ask your college, they might allow you to pay it in halves or something.

I did a PLC course last year and a few people paid the course fee in instalments. The colleges don't like doing it but will due to needing the numbers so they can get funding.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

I did a PLC course last year and a few people paid the course fee in instalments. The colleges don't like doing it but will due to needing the numbers so they can get funding.

Hope this helps.

As well, I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but I wouldn't mention instalments until you start in September.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement