Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed?

Options
  • 29-07-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

This has come through from the neighbours garden behind me and has grown like wildfire. Is it Japanese knotweed? Looks similar to the images I see online. If not, can anyone identify it?

And finally... next steps?

Thanks guys!

487766_4360423175391_587205603_n.jpg

552668_4360424375421_613535417_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

It is indeed. If you are removing it be careful not to drop bits as it self propagates very easily from fragments of stem etc. Roundup have released a gel that is good for getting rid of it, you just rub it on the leaf, and it will kill it completely. Just pulling it from the ground will not get rid of it as the root system runs quite deep, although continual removal of new growth (with a hoe) will eventually stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    It is indeed. If you are removing it be careful not to drop bits as it self propagates very easily from fragments of stem etc. Roundup have released a gel that is good for getting rid of it, you just rub it on the leaf, and it will kill it completely. Just pulling it from the ground will not get rid of it as the root system runs quite deep, although continual removal of new growth (with a hoe) will eventually stop it.

That's reassuring to hear! I'm having heart palpitations here and my mind keeps going back to War of the Worlds! Time for a jant to B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Put canes into the ground and allow the bindweed to grow up the canes. Then carefully and lovingly apply a systemic weedkiller (kills roots too) like the roundup gel to the leaves. Hold a leaf in a gloved hand and paint on gel. Dont let treated leaves brush against any wanted plants, thus the raised canes. Sit back and watch the bindweed dry up and blow away over a few weeks while having a cup of tea.

I had this problem in my london garden and its a Bu**er, esp if the neighbours dont care, the problem will not go away completely but now you now have the control method to prevent ingress to your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pretty sure that is bindweed. The treatment is much the same but it is not as dangerously invasive as knotweed. Bad enough - you really don't want it.

Don't pull it up, spray all you can safely get at without damaging other plants with a systemic weedkiller, then leave it for a couple of weeks. Remove dead foliage and look out for new shoots, let them get going and repeat. You should get rid of most of it in a couple of goes.

• Advertisement

The product I used was Tumbleweed, but that has now been replaced by the above mentioned Roundup gel.

http://www.gardencentre.ie/product/Gardening/Gardening-Pest-Weed-Disease-Control/187033966

Bindweed will keep coming back from the neighbours side, unless treated there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Definitely bindweed -- act now and should be easily contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

Thanks guys! B&Q didn't have the gel so I had to stick with the spray for now, will check the local Woodies tomorrow for gel. Canes are at the ready too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Oldtree wrote: »
    Put canes into the ground and allow the bindweed to grow up the canes. Then carefully and lovingly apply a systemic weedkiller (kills roots too) like the roundup gel to the leaves. Hold a leaf in a gloved hand and paint on gel. Dont let treated leaves brush against any wanted plants, thus the raised canes. Sit back and watch the bindweed dry up and blow away over a few weeks while having a cup of tea.

I had this problem in my london garden and its a Bu**er, esp if the neighbours dont care, the problem will not go away completely but now you now have the control method to prevent ingress to your garden.

Thanks Oldtree, that's a very good tip for handling Bindweed. Have you tried the bedsheet method?

I don't know of that method, please elaborate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I always get my bindweed and knotweed mixed up, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

nattyguest wrote: »
    Thanks guys! B&Q didn't have the gel so I had to stick with the spray for now, will check the local Woodies tomorrow for gel. Canes are at the ready too :)

Try your local Tesco for the Roundup Gel €9 a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

nattyguest wrote: »

Tescos have it for €10 :-)

Advertisement