Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decorative stone costs

Options
  • 29-07-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

have one particular strip of grass that im thinking about killing off and replacing with some nice stone.
    it is 20 foot long ( wooden shed on one side 3 foot tall beech hedging on other) and 10 foot wide (path to front metal wiring to rear).
    the reason im thinking about this is it is very awkward to cut and also the shed provides shelter for a potential play area for child in winter.
    so is it just a case of killing grass , laying weed barrier and spreading the stone?
    also any ideas roughly how much & type of stone?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Roll of Mypex is 50 euro.

Ton bag of slate chippings is around 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

😭
    paddy147 wrote: »
    Roll of Mypex is 50 euro.

Ton bag of slate chippings is around 60 euro.
    Is slate chiippings what you would recommend ? What colour are they and what depth should I use ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

km79 wrote: »
    😭
    Is slate chiippings what you would recommend ? What colour are they and what depth should I use ?

Dark,Gold,plum coloured,green coloured,natural stone look.

I wouldnt use small stuff like pea gravel,as the kids will just sink into it,and it would be unstable.

Then again,it might be fun for them if thats what they would most enjoy.

3 inches of stone depth and then compact them down under foot and also use the likes of a railway sleeper or heavy plank (scaffolding plank) to really compact them down.

You could use a whacker plate to really compact it all down,but rather pointless and a waste of money in hiring one out,for what you want.

You could also go for "large" bark mulch (safer for kids to play on and easier on their knees and hands) aswell if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

paddy147 wrote: »
    km79 wrote: »
    😭

Dark,Gold,plum coloured,green coloured,natural stone look.

I wouldnt use small stuff like pea gravel,as the kids will just sink into it,and it would be unstable.

Then again,it might be fun for them if thats what they would most enjoy.

3 inches of stone depth and then compact them down under foot and also use the likes of a railway sleeper or heavy plank (scaffolding plank) to really compact them down.

You could use a whacker plate to really compact it all down,but rather pointless and a waste of money in hiring one out,for what you want.

You could also go for "large" bark mulch (safer for kids to play on and easier on their knees and hands) aswell if you wanted to.
    It's mainly for decoration really as its an awkward area to cut.
    I was just thinking that during the winters day the shed would provide a little sheltered area. But we have a large site so this particular area if i do it at all will be mainly for cosmetic purposes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

i think 3 inches would be to much, i would recommend depth of 1.5 - 2 inches max.
    for area 20f x 10ft - 6m x 3m
    1.5inches - 1.3t of stones
    2inches - 1.8t of stones
    in most places you can only buy stones in 1t bags, but sometimes they also sell in half tone,
    prices of decorative pebbles are between 60e and 200e per tone, depend on type, size, colour, etc of the stones
    you have to choose what you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement