Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.D. Please

Options
  • 29-07-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I photographed these on a beach in the North West, I presume it's a fossil of some sort, a fish maybe? Anyone know what it is or how old it is? There are two on the one rock.

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Guyett

where exactly did you find it? the bottom picture looks lie some sort of shell, possibly a bivalve. They are kind of difficult to identify but if I know where they were found it could be easier to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks a million for the reply Guyett.

It's a fairly secret surf spot, I'll pm you the place if you want, it's between Sligo and Donegal.

The leash that attaches my ankle to my surf board broke and it ended getting washed up on the rocks. There were loads of these rocks with fossils around, that's why I thought they were fish, ie; A shoal of fish got caught in mud, over time and epochs we have these! (I'm fairly clueless when it come's to this sort of thing).

The one in the first photograph is about six inches long.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh go on, tell us where it is, nobody around here but us palaeontology enthusiasts :P

The top one almost looks like a fin alright. Limestone is a goldmine for these kinds of fossils, see a lot of them along the clare coast too.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh go on, tell us where it is, nobody around here but us palaeontology enthusiasts :P

The top one almost looks like a fin alright. Limestone is a goldmine for these kinds of fossils, see a lot of them along the clare coast too.

You are a surfer, so you understand!!

Edit.

I will gladly pm anyone interested tomorrow exact details with directions and a bearing of where exactly this is. Some of the rocks were stuck in the sand, others were small enough to pick up.

Thanks for the reply.

Pm me the location, to be honest I dont think it is a fish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looks like a rugose solitary coral from the lower Carboniferous. Caninia if I was to throw a name at it Here's what a section of one looks like. Found loads of them when I was kid on holidays around sligo. In a town called Easky there's a whole natural pavement by the beach covered in them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

yeah I'd agree with that, I was initially thinking it could have a similar structure to some sort of plant or tree debris but as the fossil is white it probably couldnt be as it doesnt have that black colour that tree fossils tend to have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you should see some round tube type structures with bright white spots ?

reminded me of the kelp roots

lots of places with those sort of fossils in that part of the world

Thanks a million everyone. Great info there, much appreciated.

Advertisement