Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What trees to plant ?

Options
  • 29-07-2012 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Have a small weedy patch next to a small pine forest/wooded area and I've been clearing out nettles and thistles and wondering what to do with it.

I think I'll go with the lazy option of sowing more trees rather than making it an extension of the garden. So what trees can I plant that would be hardy enough to take care of themselves ?

Also is there any type of tree that would be able to hack growing in the forest itself ? Sycamores take every so often and the odd one had struggled to a decent size. Since I raked the forest floor and took a few inches off the top last year a lot of small sycamores have come up. I have planted two small horse chestnut trees I grew in a pot in clearing where they will get some sunlight but too early to tell if they will grow or die.

Anything that would be as hardy as sycamores and chestnuts that would look nice and grow fast ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most of the trees that you would get from the likes of Coilte. Oak and to some extent beech are slow, but birch, ash, holly, rowan, hazel, blackthorn would be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have to agree with Looksee and say "birch".

One of the nicest looking trees out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

There is a few dead pines around too with white mould on them, is that stuff dangerous ?

And I have a couple of birch (I think) and your right they are beautiful trees. I'm probably gonna have to try and grow these things myself so how the hell do I grow a birch tree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If its a darkish spot and its an understory you are after then Spindle and Holly would be good along with some Blackthorn and Hawthorn. You could also add some Honeysuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JFK82

Scioch wrote: »
    Have a small weedy patch next to a small pine forest/wooded area and I've been clearing out nettles and thistles and wondering what to do with it.

I think I'll go with the lazy option of sowing more trees rather than making it an extension of the garden. So what trees can I plant that would be hardy enough to take care of themselves ?

Also is there any type of tree that would be able to hack growing in the forest itself ? Sycamores take every so often and the odd one had struggled to a decent size. Since I raked the forest floor and took a few inches off the top last year a lot of small sycamores have come up. I have planted two small horse chestnut trees I grew in a pot in clearing where they will get some sunlight but too early to tell if they will grow or die.

Anything that would be as hardy as sycamores and chestnuts that would look nice and grow fast ?
    Where are you based? I have 4 large sycamore trees (12ft) aprox that I've matured in large pots over last 2 yrs. my plans for them have fallen through and have no space for them. Would like to see them go somewhere that they can grow to full potential.
    They might help you as they are already quite big?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

JFK82 wrote: »
    Where are you based? I have 4 large sycamore trees (12ft) aprox that I've matured in large pots over last 2 yrs. my plans for them have fallen through and have no space for them. Would like to see them go somewhere that they can grow to full potential.
    They might help you as they are already quite big?

Thanks but I relocated some small sycamores that were growing elsewhere along with some other bits and pieces. The patch isnt that big so that along with the chestnuts and I'm sorted.

Hope ya find somewhere for the trees though and thanks again for the offer.

Advertisement