Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Savage bar attack leaves journalist terrified.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    ... and know him well enough to find him and take a photograph...

VERY peculiar and odd in the extreme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Finally, someone who knows who he is. Lovely. I'll assume you've called Niamh to tell her because she obviously has no idea, so is there any dcahnce you could enlighten the rest of us?

Priory Hall.

I know, the article is odd alright. I don't know why she didn't shame him, obviously the SIndo solicitors advised against naming him. Amazing how the defenders of him come out of the woodwork though.

Some people just don't like women standing up for themselves or others. They will jump on their high horses in defense of the corrupt.

Also some of you are positive this guy is guilty but what happens in the future now that you've instituted a few people in a newspaper office as judge, jury and executioner.

You know there is a warrant out for this guy?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Priory Hall.

I know, the article is odd alright. I don't know why she didn't shame him, obviously the SIndo solicitors advised against naming him. Amazing how the defenders of him come out of the woodwork though.

Some people just don't like women standing up for themselves or others. They will jump on their high horses in defense of the corrupt.

Technically naming him or not, by printing a picture attached to an article saying that 'this' person is of a notorious nature (implying something vague) and then stating that he tried to "Glass" her - is enough alone to open the paper to a possible case of liable.

A name is not necessary.

The man - if the paper has the right person - might deserve all that he gets but in trying to hype up a story that lacks actual details about the person in many ways, its shoddy reporting to say the least.

Then again, it is the Sunday Indo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Priory Hall.

You're saying that's Tom McFeely, so? How sure are we on that? Photo's a bit blurry.

I don;t think anyone is defending him here, though - it's much, much more a case of attacking Horan. If she's going to do an expose piece on him, and she had done it in some way professionally, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    might deserve all that he gets but in trying to hype up a story that lacks actual details about the person in many ways, its shoddy reporting to say the least.

I see where you are coming from, but anyone that has their ear to the ground and knows what he's done and knows the caliber of this person.

Hype or no hype, he's done horrible horrible things. This saga could be a very very different story if that apartment block had gone on fire. It would have been as bad or even worse than the Stardust, a tragedy that's affected and still affects a lot of Irish people.

Come on, he's done very bad things, he's taken money off people and put their lives at risk for a lot of cash, he's really left them hanging.

Yet, here all the vitriol is aimed at a junior journo taking a photo?

There's something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They should do an exposé on some of the dopes that paid through the nosé for poorly constructed apartments which were been sold by a former terrorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I see where you are coming from, but anyone that has their ear to the ground and knows what he's done and knows the caliber of this person.

Hype or no hype, he's done horrible horrible things. This saga could be a very very different story if that apartment block had gone on fire. It would have been as bad or even worse than the Stardust, a tragedy that's affected and still affects a lot of Irish people.

Come on, he's done very bad things, he's taken money off people and put their lives at risk for a lot of cash, he's really left them hanging.

There's something wrong.

Have you actually read the article? The writing is apalling! Not to mention the fact that she has done virtually no research and is asking the reader to do it for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Scumbag that he is ironically being an ex-IRA member claiming british bankruptcy on Irish developments ....

I think attacking a nosey, snake of an 'investigative' journalist is +1 on the MaxSteele bucket list.

There's something wrong.

If its the right person and he's not doing the right thing by putting things right, he's prone to be exposed - and rightly so.

The reporter in this case went about her piece all wrong though.
    It served no public interest except to show that she can report badly with little or no detail that is actually relevant to some man that she can amazingly recognise - but not recognise - and tell us all (who don't actually know him) very little nothing about the man and why she is chasing him to get his pic, whatsoever!

Bad reporting is bad news - the paper should be ashamed of producing such a crappy article!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Why does disliking Niamh Horan mean that you're somehow in support of Tom McFeeley? Not being able to understand anything other than such polar opinions demonstrates a worrying lack of intelligence.

As a poster already said - I want our justice system to punish people that have illegally wronged others. If Tom McFeeley should be charged and prosecuted, then let's hope that happens.

What I don't want is a glorified celebrity and gossip journalist antagonising, violating the privacy of and trying to publicly condemn people, be they guilty or not. Intelligent, thorough and balanced investigative journalism I have no problem with. Trashy rubbish like this deserves the spite and vitriol it receives. As does Niamh Horan.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

If its the right person and he's not doing the right thing by putting things right, he's prone to be exposed - and rightly so.

The reporter in this case went about her piece all wrong though.
    It served no public interest except to show that she can report badly with little or no detail that is actually relevant to some man that she can amazingly recognise - but not recognise - and tell us all (who don't actually know him) very little nothing about the man and why she is chasing him to get his pic, whatsoever!

Bad reporting is bad news - the paper should be ashamed of producing such a crappy article!

The article does tick two important boxes:

1) Sensationalism
    2) Getting the dig in at anything remotely Shinner related

Both of which have always been more important than public interest to this particular newspaper ...

Have you actually read the article? The writing is apalling!!

With all respect, and I'm not being sarcastic Ikky poo... There's building and writing. I know the pen is stronger than the sword, but in this case, Tom McFeely's building could be a lot more damaging than the journalists writing.

Tom McFeely's shoddy building far outweighs the journo's (can't remember her name) shoddy writing.

Tom McFeely's building goes on fire - hundreds of people die horribly.

SIndo journo takes a photo - a guy get's annoyed. (along with his mates online)

Have you actually read about what he built, the corners he cut to make a few bob, the judge ordered the people out of their homes immediately it was that bad according to the experts!

Are you old enough to remember the stardust tragedy? We need to look at the bigger picture here.

With all respect, and I'm not being sarcastic Ikky poo... There's building and writing. I know the pen is stronger than the sword, but in this case, Tom McFeely's building could be a lot more damaging than the journalists writing.

Tom McFeely's shoddy building far outweighs the journo's (can't remember her name) shoddy writing.

Tom McFeely's building goes on fire - hundreds of people die horribly.

SIndo journo takes a photo - a guy get's annoyed. (along with his mates online)

Have you actually read about what he built, the corners he cut to make a few bob, the judge ordered the people out of their homes immediately it was that bad according to the experts!

Are you old enough to remember the stardust tragedy? We need to look at the bigger picture here.

One of the main problems here is that, at the moment, I'm taking your word for it that it's even McFeely in the photo in the first place!

If it's not, your last few posts are completely irrlelevant, and if it is, you;d be better off starting a seperate thread. This one is, and has been from the onset, been abotu Horan's handling of the story.

Both of which have always been more important than public interest to this particular newspaper ...

You and I are the public.

What was highlighted (badly maybe) is that Tom McFeely is sipping cocktails in the sun while the people that he ripped off, that took out loans have been ousted from their firetrap apartments and they have nowhere to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Less of the bile Dude ...maybe you need to get your piles seen to ?

Where did that "barely literate " shite come from....?

Can understand that Dude...were you up to the hilt in someones hole behind "The George".

Bit of a "glare" off those assless chaps eh ? :D
    Eh :confused:

Anybody know what this Gimp is on about ?

Sounds like he could do with some "sedation"...uh ...like a stiff shoe in the plums !

Yeah ! I'll buy that :D

Mod

Fulton Crown banned for trolling.

Why does disliking Niamh Horan mean that you're somehow in support of Tom McFeeley? Not being able to understand anything other than such polar opinions demonstrates a worrying lack of intelligence.

As a poster already said - I want our justice system to punish people that have illegally wronged others. If Tom McFeeley should be charged and prosecuted, then let's hope that happens.

What I don't want is a glorified celebrity and gossip journalist antagonising, violating the privacy of and trying to publicly condemn people, be they guilty or not. Intelligent, thorough and balanced investigative journalism I have no problem with. Trashy rubbish like this deserves the spite and vitriol it receives. As does Niamh Horan.

Look at Veronica Guerin (may she rest in peace).
    She went up to the very door of one Mr Gilligan to question him (and was severely attacked).
    Her articles - all her articles as far as I know, before and after that attack, were very much detail about who, what, why, etc.
    The reader if he/she knew nothing beforehand, was well informed from any one of her articles. It was brilliant journalism - and although she might have mentioned her being attacked at one stage in a section of an article, I've never come across any article of hers where she wrote just a whole piece about such an attack and went on to colour it up with sulphurous words.
    She instead informed the public briefly about the attack and then continued on with proper reporting procedures and with more professionalism.

...Then we have Horan's piece.
    She is not even in the same county, never mind league as Veronica Guerin.
    Horan's reports does nothing to advance investigative journalism or investigative journalists.
    The article does tick two important boxes:

1) Sensationalism
    2) Getting the dig in at anything remotely Shinner related

Indeed so - IF one already knows the person might be shinner too!
    I didn't and reading that dire piece in the Sunday Indo, I would still be in the dark uninformed.
    How is that in the public interest as others make out the article is!
    It tell us all bugger all about the person and what he's supposed to have done, etc.

What was highlighted (badly maybe) is that Tom McFeely is sipping cocktails in the sun while the people that he ripped off, that took out loans have been ousted from their firetrap apartments and they have nowhere to go.

None of that was highlighted in the article.

Exactly (thank you), that's my point too.

We, the public, Irish citizens know what he did, we know where he was and what he was enjoying when the photo was taken.

We know what's going on. It's not right.

• Advertisement

We, the public, Irish citizens know what he did, we know where he was and what he was enjoying when the photo was taken.

I didn't - I didn't know him!
    Sorry to be blunt and it not aimed directly at you - but some of us are not all mind readers!

Her article was pure no detail, self glorifying trash!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

That's a fair point - but I wonder what percentage of readers will have been aware who the person in the photograph was? I try to keep abreast of news, and am reasonably informed of the Priory Hall story - but I wouldn't have known only for reading this thread. Perhaps I'm in the minority on this...

Incidentally, I have absolutely no objection to the guy in question being hounded by the media

We know what's going on. It's not right.

Not saying it is. But the point is this:

How in the HELL can Niamh Horan highlight ANY of the points you make when she claims to have no idea who she she has just taken a photo of, why she did so, or what the person has done??!

Remember: We're STILL taking your word for it that it's even McFeely in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Not saying it is. But the point is this:

How in the HELL can Niamh Horan highlight ANY of the points you make when she claims to have no idea who she she has just taken a photo of, why she did so, or what the person has done??!

Remember: We're STILL taking your word for it that it's even McFeely in the first place.

I think it's great that people have to go on the internet to find out what a "journalist" meant, as the journalist didn't even know herself.

I don't know how the Sindo gets away with it's content. Absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The word "savage" suggests that the guy actually hit her, so this is hugely misleading.. And Niamh Horan would want to get some street smarts if she thinks that approaching a republican with a camera and an unkind word is a good idea...

"There was a moment where it felt like the world had stopped around us"..

Dear god... Maybe McFeely should take her to court for how badly written the article is.. I actually think I could write better than her with no journalistic background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

If it wasn't for this thread, I would have no idea who the man in the photo was. The journalist did not have the interests of the public and in particular, Priory Hall residents when she wrote that piece. It really is self centred drivel.

If she wanted to give her ego a boost, why didn't she just come out and say that, she, Ms Horan, spotted (found even) McNeely enjoying a foreign holiday whilst the misfortunate ex residents of his development are still in limbo.

I really have no idea what demographic that story is written for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Where does she get off thinking this is a news report?

if anything it sounds like the storyline of some ****ty romantic novel.
    "He glared at me, his stance wide waiting to pounce. All 16 stone of him. His eyes wide with this uncontrollable rage engulfing his red face. There was a moment where it felt like the world around us had stopped.
    It was as if it was just him and me, standing there alone. Our eyes were locked on each other."

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

I can't be the only to keep reading 'Savage bear atack' Can I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

More proof, not that any is needed, that the Sunday Independent is not worthy enough to wipe a pile-induced arse. A complete rag, written by an entire organisation of superficial, undereducated sycophants of Anthony O'Reilly and his business and political interests.

This repeatedly silly girl and her latest non-story is perfect for that rag, and the people who buy it.

• Advertisement

I can't be the only to keep reading 'Savage bear atack' Can I?

No, you've got me at it too. I keep seeing this in my subscribed threds list and thinking, "I don't remember posting anythign about a bear...?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yikes that's a badly written article. The sindo really is trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

No bear attack then? I am disappoint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The word "savage" suggests that the guy actually hit her, so this is hugely misleading.. And Niamh Horan would want to get some street smarts if she thinks that approaching a republican with a camera and an unkind word is a good idea...

"There was a moment where it felt like the world had stopped around us"..

Dear god... Maybe McFeely should take her to court for how badly written the article is.. I actually think I could write better than her with no journalistic background.
    +1000. That paper really is a rag. What's truly scary is it sells enough issues to remain in business.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

chris de Burg was not amused with the piece she wrote about her. Enya gave her the cold shoulder when she tried to get palsy walsy with her and try to get her to talk about deeply personal things.

BTW was she in the RSA ad where the one is missing half her face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I didn't - I didn't know him!
    Sorry to be blunt and it not aimed directly at you - but some of us are not all mind readers!

Her article was pure no detail, self glorifying trash!

Hope you brought that paper back to where ya got it and asked for a refund on those grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am curious about what the Portuguese police is going to do.
    Surely after being threatened\attacked so badly that you feel your life is over, you would report it to the police?

Already once said it in a Alison thread, a friend of mine was a journo during the Balkan war in the 90's He was a journalist.
    Idiots who come out with **** like this article, are not.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Hope you brought that paper back to where ya got it and asked for a refund on those grounds.

Found a better use for it.
    As part of a litter tray. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Agree with most posters here, the article was written like a 13 years olds homework, entitled "What My Weekend was like" very poor journalism.

On another note about taking photos in a Public place, this wasn't actually a public place, it was a bar open to the public completely different things, and as Biggins link to photographs and the use of states, they are treated completely differently.

On a side note, does she not know what the zoom buttom is for :rolleyes: but then again she wouldn't have anything to write about for her homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Check out Barry Egans twitter about the article,
    https://twitter.com/RealBarryEgan?tw_i=229611942380204032&tw_e=screenname&tw_p=tweetembed
    Very very brave+compelling article toady in the Sunday Independent. I hope he is behind bars very soon. Keep up the great work.

He even has a nasty nickname for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Pantsface wrote: »
    who is it?

The "developer" who built the Thornton Hall "apartments".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

This woman is a grade A bint. I made the mistake of buying this rag yesterday as there was only the biz post and SW in the shop i had brekkie in - and never will I buy this trash paper again.

It read like the thriller fantasy of a first year creative writing student! They pictured this guy but wouldn't name him, even though he alledgedly physically threatened her (afraid this article may have been proved innaccurate in court me thinks). She was obviously stalking this guy in a bar and taking his photograph right in front of him and expects no consequences.

I loved the bit espcially where she describes running for her life screaming through the bar - you can just imagine all the other customers looking at her thinking 'who's this airheaded annoying twat'. read between the lines at this part...a man smashes a glass and tells her he's going to ram it down her throat in a packed bar yet nobody seems to give a sh*t until she's well away from him. I call cock and bull, either that, or she deserved a strem warning for getting her stuck up little nose into someone's business.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Check out Barry Egans twitter about the article,
    https://twitter.com/RealBarryEgan?tw_i=229611942380204032&tw_e=screenname&tw_p=tweetembed

He even has a nasty nickname for her.

I think this was written out of loyalty mor than anthing else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Obviously, and I know the 'nasty' nickname, Toady, was a typo too before anyone corrects me on that.

Anyway, lesson learned. Don't buy the Sindo again. Even for entertainment value. It's a decrepit, trashy, semi-literate, often man-hating rag of a 'newspaper'. The only reason I looked up this thread was because I was reading the article, couldn't believe what I was reading and had to make sure I wasn't the only one that was completely befuddled by the sheer stupidity of the whole thing.

Niamh Horan, take a bow. You're a complete moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well at least we finally know who was behind all those Trent stories from last year. The writing style is identical.

PS - queue a reactionary piece in next weekend's Sindo about "society's casual acceptance of violence against women" in response to the reactions to Niamh Horan's "article". :rolleyes:

Note to Niamh Horan: men who assault women aren't the only abusers; self-defined victims are too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Veronica Guerin must be turning in her grave if this airhead is her legacy...

Assuming they couldn't name him without third party verification of who he was or something could they not just have waited until the following week to publish and given themselves the time to craft a factual news story instead of such drivel?

The worst thing about this? I followed the Barry Egan tweet to her twitter page and this twerp is apparently deserving of press passes for Dark Knight Rises?! Rewards far in excess of her efforts if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

Pantsface wrote: »
    That Brian lad is the ultimate GIMP, even looking at his head annoys me. How he managed to marry herself is beyond me,

I know. He has a serious set of gnashers on him. They look fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Whatever about the content of the article, a 12 year old most certainly could have done better. It's awful, like she's writing some sort of Point Horror thriller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Just read the entire thread & disappointed someone suspiciously calling themselves xXxXxx ATtAcKeD In pOrTuGaL xXxXxx hasn't shown up defending the article and Horan's impeccable, Pulitzer worthy journalism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement