Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iPhone Leaked [Unconfirmed]

• 29-07-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭

lg_iphone5_041.jpg?w=655
    Today, repair shop iLab has posted its own photos of the same exterior parts we posted, but fully assembled. The new photos give another clear look at what a black, fully-assembled next-generation iPhone might look like when it ships to customers this fall. The repair shop also has some photos of other individual components
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/29/new-purported-next-generation-iphone-part-photos-show-fully-assembled-device/

Personally, I dont like it. The backing is just strange, especially from Apple and the clean and simple design that they have been churning out for years.

Having said that, the back of the phone is the only thing I dont like, 4" screen is long overdue, and the smaller dock should allow more room for more internal goodies :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

If it is true then I'm glad they went for square edges as opposed to a tear drop design.

Re the metal back I would have to see it in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

If the smaller charging port is true then apple can go and **** themselves, personally I can't see it happening, it will piss off a lot of people making docking stations obsolete and with a smaller port making it impossible to make new docking stations for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

If the smaller charging port is true then apple can go and **** themselves, personally I can't see it happening, it will piss off a lot of people making docking stations obsolete and with a smaller port making it impossible to make new docking stations for it.

Its a necessary evil and Apple will have workarounds. It allows them to innovate with speeds, and more space for processing power and battery.

Put it this way would you be happier with better internals or more space being occupied by a proprietary connection? Apple will probably provide an adapter for compatibility with the 30-pin connector too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I like the front, I'm not sure about the back though, it looks meh and kinda cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no doubting the authenticity of these. they've been floating about now for too long not to be the iphone 6th gen.

hard to tell from the pics but the back where the aluminium meets the plastic/glass it looks a bit sloppy (the top bit looks like it's glued on terribly).

that being said the tinted backing looks sexy as hell and the steel band where the volume and the mute switch looks very cool too.

why complain about the dock connector going smaller? it's bound to happen, there'll be convertors sold. You'll get a cable with the phone anyways so it's not like you can't use that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭OU812

I like it. Slightly more sophisticated than the current one.

miralize wrote: »
    Its a necessary evil and Apple will have workarounds. It allows them to innovate with speeds, and more space for processing power and battery.

Put it this way would you be happier with better internals or more space being occupied by a proprietary connection? Apple will probably provide an adapter for compatibility with the 30-pin connector too.

When you put it like that:D

why complain about the dock connector going smaller? it's bound to happen, there'll be convertors sold. You'll get a cable with the phone anyways so it's not like you can't use that one.

because I don't want to have rouse different dock connectors or be changing converters when I want to switch between my phone, Ipad and iPod.
    I'm very lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

I'm still not convinced this is the final design.

Its looks too much like the current iphone4s - I'd expect more.

Like the camera lens is plain simply on the wrong side if using the volume button as a shutter button - I would expect apple to address this.

I could be completely wrong.

I'm still not convinced this is the final design.

Its looks too much like the current iphone4s - I'd expect more.

Like the camera lens is plain simply on the wrong side if using the volume button as a shutter button - I would expect apple to address this.

I could be completely wrong.

Design wise, its fine. Apple dont change products for the sake for it. It has to be a better design for them to change that aspect of it. The small details like the backing could be improved upon.

Also, has anyone noticed the hole between the light and the camera? Extra mic for reducing background noise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I know it'll never happen, but how about Apple adopting Micro USB like EVERY OTHER COMPANY.

They claim to be "green" but using micro USB would cut down massively on stuff manufactured and wasted. Paint it white if you must.

The Eu have a micro-USB standard law, so Apple may finally introduce it with the new iPhone.

One thing that concerns me about it, is that for many docks, the connector is what keeps it in place. Compared to the 30-pin connector, the microUSB is a bit flimsy, so it may have to be pressed into the phone further in order to hold the phone upright.

The Eu have a micro-USB standard law, so Apple may finally introduce it with the new iPhone.

One thing that concerns me about it, is that for many docks, the connector is what keeps it in place. Compared to the 30-pin connector, the microUSB is a bit flimsy, so it may have to be pressed into the phone further in order to hold the phone upright.

This is my issue, I'm not so sure that even an adapter would sort that out

This is my issue, I'm not so sure that even an adapter would sort that out

Trust Apple to get it right.. more often than not, they do :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are already in compliance with it by selling an adapter in EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I like the metal bacl but would prefer the entire back was metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

If thats the 5 my 4 will be doing me fine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

It's a bit boring. It not really that much different than the 4s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really wonder what people are expecting?

It's what's under the hood that counts.

The 4/4S design is hard to improve. I can't think of a redesign that would look better to be honest. So why change for the sake of it?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I seriously doubt that those pics are the real iPhone 5. They came out around this time last year and then we got the 4S, now they are back on the net. The design of that, particularly the speaker and mic just doesn't look slick apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I hear what people are saying , if its not broken don't fix it etc.
    I would feel a bit cheated though if that was the design, it is too like the 4/4S
    I was expecting a more dramatic change of design.
    I actually liked some of the mockups that were floating around.
    I know its whats inside that counts but it does make a difference if you get a completely new design, gives you the feeling of a new phone rather than an upgraded version of your current one if you know what I mean.
    I thought they might have pushed the boat out a bit on this one as it seems they are under a bit of pressure this time around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I really like the back of the phones, looks nice.

But i care far more about the insides, If they still have 16GB for the entry level i wont buy it.

High end phones of late 2012 should have at least 32GB of memory (or some workaround) The Galaxy S3 has 16GB + 16GB SD Card and 50GB of cloud storage :eek:.

Thats more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

I was going to write some stuff but now couldn't be bothered.

ugly & boringggg.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

The 4/4S design is hard to improve. I can't think of a redesign that would look better to be honest. So why change for the sake of it?!

I beg to differ.
    Innovation. It's Apple after all. Things need to keep moving forward. 4/4s design is 2 years old. It's to much like them.

I don't believe this is the 6th generation iPhone.

I beg to differ.
    Innovation. It's Apple after all. Things need to keep moving forward. 4/4s design is 2 years old. It's to much like them.

I don't believe this is the 6th generation iPhone.

But we are judging the astethic form factor here....not saying they aren't going to innovate with the next iPhone.

I work in design, and I can't possibly improve on the current form factor. It defers. It's simple. Sketch a better design there will ya....

But we are judging the astethic form factor here....not saying they aren't going to innovate with the next iPhone.

I work in design, and I can't possibly improve on the current form factor. It defers. It's simple. Sketch a better design there will ya....

Exactly, everyone thinks their a designer at some stage. But the amount of work that goes into perfecting something like Apple's devices are huge and require tradeoffs.

Apple knows that redesigning has to serve a purpose, whether its to fit a larger camera, improve battery life etc..

Aesthetically it fits with the rest of the Apple products nicely, and thats what they ultimately want - consistency. If Apple brought out an entirely new design tomorrow that, while it may look nice, but didn't fit or align with the rest of the iOS family, would that not look a tad strange?

Exactly, everyone thinks their a designer at some stage. But the amount of work that goes into perfecting something like Apple's devices are huge and require tradeoffs.

Apple knows that redesigning has to serve a purpose, whether its to fit a larger camera, improve battery life etc..

Aesthetically it fits with the rest of the Apple products nicely, and thats what they ultimately want - consistency. If Apple brought out an entirely new design tomorrow that, while it may look nice, but didn't fit or align with the rest of the iOS family, would that not look a tad strange?

Spot on.

The back seat designers on the interweb have no idea how many hours Apple designers spend obsessing over a form factor. And I mean obsessing as in OCD about every detail. Everything gets revisited multiple times. They even start over when they aren't getting anywhere.

The result is te current iPhone design. I have no doubt they would have changed it only for everybody wants a massive screen these days hence very minor changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I still don't know what people are expecting.

There seems to be a sentiment out there that Apple have fallen behind Samsung's revolutionary large screen, plastic backed phone and are under tremendous pressure to design an earth-shattering new product or be left behind.

No one can state what they actually want to see and are writing Apple off based on some unconfirmed photos.

Unless Apple launch a phone that doesn't look like a phone should and can make coffee for you whilst booking you a flight and pay for the weekly shopping they will be deemed to be behind the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Irish rambo

lg_iphone5_041.jpg?w=655

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/29/new-purported-next-generation-iphone-part-photos-show-fully-assembled-device/

Personally, I dont like it. The backing is just strange, especially from Apple and the clean and simple design that they have been churning out for years.

Having said that, the back of the phone is the only thing I dont like, 4" screen is long overdue, and the smaller dock should allow more room for more internal goodies :)

To me its seems strange that apple would keep the same "square edges" design. Its a nice design and im not faulting it , I would just like to see something new.

Also, If this is the final design then apple really are just milking there old idea's for everything they can get.

I cant see what they can really do now to blow everyone away with this supposed new iPhone.
    Apart from the proported new size increase of the screen it will , most likely have slightly better specs and some "revolutionary" software that apple's marketing team will claim is worth you shelling out your hard earned cash for.

For the high standards that apple have set it is disappointing............. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement