Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iPhone Leaked [Unconfirmed]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

on a purely aesthetic point of view there is no such thing as the "perfect design"

i'm pretty sure Apple designers are not sitting in their offices thinking "we've prefected the design here, no need to change anything"

there is always an improvement to be made.

for these reasons i dont believe this is the final design, it looks far too similar to a design that is two years old (thats a long time in tech/fashion terms)

i expect more "improvement's" to the aesthetics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Don't get me wrong, I like the design a lot but I was hoping they might be a bit more adventurous with it (If it is official). Pretty sure the spec will make up for that tho and I can live with that design for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Spot on.

The back seat designers on the interweb have no idea how many hours Apple designers spend obsessing over a form factor. And I mean obsessing as in OCD about every detail. Everything gets revisited multiple times. They even start over when they aren't getting anywhere.

The result is te current iPhone design. I have no doubt they would have changed it only for everybody wants a massive screen these days hence very minor changes.
    "Back seat designers" I like it ha ha.

I work in Marketing lol
    But seriously I just feel it looks to much like the 4/4s and does not really encourage be to buy it. I would like a completely new design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

"Back seat designers" I like it ha ha.

I work in Marketing lol
    But seriously I just feel it looks to much like the 4/4s and does not really encourage be to buy it. I would like a completely new design.

Marketing. Not designing. Difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Whereas i like this design ill be looking for significant hardware updates. If they don't come ill be keeping my 4s in the hope that they might make an iphone like the concept that was mooted last year ( the one with the back like the magic mouse )

• Advertisement

Whereas i like this design ill be looking for significant hardware updates. If they don't come ill be keeping my 4s in the hope that they might make an iphone like the concept that was mooted last year ( the one with the back like the magic mouse )

that was the stupidest concept I've ever seen. How is it supposed to sit on a table? Wobbling on the back, screen subject to scratches on the front? That is one direction Ive will not take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

as an apple user I'm not impressed, that last exciting phone was the 3gs and even that was slight upgrade from the 3g - apple on the slide

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really wonder what people are expecting?

It's what's under the hood that counts.
    Why do people say this about phones? How something looks is important for people buying cars, TVs, HiFis, Blu-ray players... you name it.

I don't see the problem with people preferring a change in aesthetics for a device carried every waking hour, used dozens of times a day, and is effectively a extra limb for many people.

Put a bumper or case on that *new* design iPhone (as the vast majority of people will) and it will just look like a longer version of the existing iPhone.

Of course, the internals count. But people can aspire to more if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

miralize wrote: »
    Marketing. Not designing. Difference.

Plumber, not electrician. Difference.

Thanks Dude letting me know that. You rock.

Apple built the brand on looks. The iphone is going down hill and fast. Apple are blessed the other o/s are ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

T-K-O wrote: »
    Apple built the brand on looks. The iphone is going down hill and fast. Apple are blessed the other o/s are ****e
    Yeah, youre right, they are really in the shîtter :rolleyes:

In fact, Apple saw its strongest March quarter ever, resulting in a net profit of $6 billion. Sales for the iPhone and iPad continue to lead Apple’s fiscal success, delivering a combined revenue of $29.2 billion out of Apple’s total $39.2 billion in revenue Q2 2012.

iPhone sales have barely slowed since the debut of the iPhone 4S in early October. Since the new year, Apple has sold 35.1 million iPhones, which amounts to 88 percent unit growth over Q2 of last year. These number make Q2 2012 Apple’s second best quarter for iPhone sales, only trailing behind last quarter’s record-breaking sales of 37 million iPhones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I would love to see if you guys could come up with a better design for the iPhone. Far from a phanboi here, (own an android phone and ipod touch) but if you have the best possible design form factor 3 years ago, and it can't be improved upon, why change it?

A smaller screen bezel would be nice, slightly thinner device too, but what are you expecting, a return to slide out keyboard form factors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I would love to see if you guys could come up with a better design for the iPhone.

Ah now..see what you have done...all type of will be stuff coming in....

Whats underneath is what counts and of course the display...

The metal around it is just a case for all the other stuff

Unless you are going to bandy it about like Del Boy and his Filofax..it spends most of the day in a pocket or as mentioned in a protective bumper, so no will will see the true form anyway

yuppy4.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

dodzy wrote: »

In fact, Apple saw its strongest March quarter ever, resulting in a net profit of $6 billion. Sales for the iPhone and iPad continue to lead Apple’s fiscal success, delivering a combined revenue of $29.2 billion out of Apple’s total $39.2 billion in revenue Q2 2012.

iPhone sales have barely slowed since the debut of the iPhone 4S in early October. Since the new year, Apple has sold 35.1 million iPhones, which amounts to 88 percent unit growth over Q2 of last year. These number make Q2 2012 Apple’s second best quarter for iPhone sales, only trailing behind last quarter’s record-breaking sales of 37 million iPhones.

You can find a lot of financial reports online, market share/ p&l/ growth or decline of the iPhone... Is that why you bought the phone??

Typical fanboy, I have the iPhone / Mac / iPad etc becuase the the tech was ground breaking. If this is the new iPhone apple are sitting on their hands playing it safe only a nut hugger would disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Calm down. Less of the name-calling, please.

I would love to see if you guys could come up with a better design for the iPhone. Far from a phanboi here, (own an android phone and ipod touch) but if you have the best possible design form factor 3 years ago, and it can't be improved upon, why change it?
    Where you are getting this notion that the iPhone can't be improved upon? You'd never get a job as a designer, that's for sure.

Here's a few mockups showing alternative designs that people have come up with... the first one (my personal favourite) has been doing the rounds for years.

iphone-5-mockup-2.jpg?w=519

2.jpg?w=519

iphone5mockup.png?w=519

color-iphone-5.jpg?w=479

iphone5-4.jpg?w=479

iphone4-now5side-also-from-macrumors.jpg?w=479

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ most of them are either ghastly or just not possible without greatly reducing battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Dades wrote: »
    Where you are getting this notion that the iPhone can't be improved upon? You'd never get a job as a designer, that's for sure.

Here's a few mockups showing alternative designs that people have come up with... the first one (my personal favourite) has been doing the rounds for years.

iphone-5-mockup-2.jpg?w=519

I agree that the first one is the best - looks brilliant if not a little on the HTC side (but thats not a bad thing)

No need to delete posts...

Anyway I didn't say they were in the ****ter..

The iPhone is nothing new, when the tech was released it was innovative and exciting now apple ate sitting on their hands playing it safe

Only a true fan boy would be happy with the recent 'upgrades'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

No need to delete posts...

Anyway I didn't say they were in the ****ter..

The iPhone is nothing new, when the tech was released it was innovative and exciting now apple ate sitting on their hands playing it safe

Only a true fan boy would be happy with the recent 'upgrades'
    I didn't delete any posts, I just trimmed off the excess to highlight your inaccuracies.
    But then if you can't see them, sure that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Soarer

So to summarise this thread, the new iPhone hasn't been leaked.

Its unconfirmed obviously, but the parts that have been leaked are too precise to be anything but real

I didn't delete any posts, I just trimmed off the excess to highlight your inaccuracies.
    But then if you can't see them, sure that's fine.

Are you a mod? When was the last time you deleted a post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

It's what's under the screen that matters far more.

Apple have never been leaders in that field, they play it safe, going with proven technologies. Still no NFC for example. The retina display is the one thing they've done first but still with LCD screens rather than AMOLED. Even that was just improving upon an existing technology rather than developing their own.

also http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/sharp-new-iphone/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

the back doesnt look right, it looks messy and some what poorly designed how ever im skeptical maybe its a very early model release as in the design process ? How ever, I do like the aluminum band it looks a little tougher..

^ most of them are either ghastly or just not possible without greatly reducing battery life.
    Ah, now. This curveball of battery life is putting a false limit on what you can do with "design".
    It's a little disingenuous to add this addendum on to a question of aesthetics.

The contention I challenged was that the iPhone has the "best possible form factor". Not the "best possible form factor keeping battery size and performance consistent".

I gave examples of design. Aesthetics are subjective. Several of them to me are far better than the "Longphone" bandied around on the rumour sites, and not much thinner than it either.

Ah, now. This curveball of battery life is putting a false limit on what you can do with "design".
    It's a little disingenuous to add this addendum on to a question of aesthetics.

The contention I challenged was that the iPhone has the "best possible form factor". Not the "best possible form factor keeping battery size and performance consistent".

I gave examples of design. Aesthetics are subjective. Several of them to me are far better than the "Longphone" bandied around on the rumour sites, and not much thinner than it either.

best possible form factor keeping battery size and performance consistent = best possible form factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's what's under the screen that matters far more.

Apple have never been leaders in that field, they play it safe, going with proven technologies. Still no NFC for example. The retina display is the one thing they've done first but still with LCD screens rather than AMOLED. Even that was just improving upon an existing technology rather than developing their own.

also http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/sharp-new-iphone/

So Apple only release products that work is what you're saying!

They've never filed a patent or anything like that!:rolleyes:

miralize wrote: »
    best possible form factor keeping battery size and performance consistent = best possible form factor
    Meaning what exactly? The best and only way to package the iPhone 4 battery is in the current design? Fire the design department - your work is done and can never be surpassed! Here's me thinking way back my Motorola V3 was the pinnacle of phone design, when in fact it only happened 2 years ago. I didn't like it then, and have put up with it for two years in the hope they'd give us something new. If I'd known then that it was the best it could ever be...

• Advertisement

Meaning what exactly? The best and only way to package the iPhone 4 battery is in the current design? Fire the design department - your work is done and can never be surpassed! Here's me thinking way back my Motorola V3 was the pinnacle of phone design, when in fact it only happened 2 years ago. I didn't like it then, and have put up with it for two years in the hope they'd give us something new. If I'd known then that it was the best it could ever be...

First of all, thats not what I'm saying. What I'm arguing is that the best form factor is the one that gives the most to the customer, that strikes the balance between weight, size, ease of use, and power.

Battery size and performance are what make the phone usable, so to suggest that the best form factor is anything but a device that has a design that is necessary to keep battery life and performance consistant is ridiculous.

Of course iteration and improvement is important, but Apple aren't stupid. If the trial with Samsung, thats been on going for the past week, has given us anything, it is that Apple are prepared to wait if the design is not ready. It also has to be consistant with what Apple have already.

The original iPhone that they wanted to build, in 2007, was similar to the design of iPhone 4. But because of production costs, the unpredicablity of the phones success and adoption rate, they chose to go with what is now known as the iPhone 1st gen.

It took 3 iPhone launches to ship the one that they wanted to build. It had the improved display, better camera, and the design to make it all work. They had the knowledge that it was going to be a success, making it easier to deal with suppliers.

They created that prototype for the iPhone 4 in 2007. 3 years before it released. Which is why its idiotic for people to come out and say Apple are sitting on their asses doing nothing..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement