Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iPhone Leaked [Unconfirmed]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

iphone5mockup.png?w=519

Personally i'd love to see something that mimics the iPad in September with a 4'' screen like the
    one above. I'm hoping the prototype we have seen the pictures of is a very clever decoy because
    frankly the back casing of it looks like crap with the Aluminium and big plastic gap for the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

murpho999 wrote: »
    So Apple only release products that work is what you're saying!

They've never filed a patent or anything like that!:rolleyes:

No obviously they file patents etc but some of them are just silly. Trying to patent a wedge shape for a laptop for example.

A lot of their patents that make the headlines are for things that other have already done. The most recent example http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/apple-smart-cover-display-patent-application/
    having the keyboard on the cover has been done by Microsoft already (and I'm sure others)

Apple weren't the first to release a tablet, they were the first to get the tablet right.
    They werent the first with a smart phone but they got it right

You will rarely see a completely innovative product from Apple, though you will see one that is actually usable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Some photos of a prototype with finalized design casing of the iPhone has surfaced in Bangkok. The prototype, which is obviously a fake, is not functioning, but is a replica prototype

Zju5J.jpg
    L0tNv.jpg
    0wVR4.jpg

http://www.neowin.net/news/eyes-on-with-the-iphone-5-sort-of

All these rumours so far seem consistent on this design .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Zju5J.jpg

Does anybody else think that this back cover doesn't look very 'Apple Design' like?

It really looks like they took an iPhone 4S and put a rectangular piece of
    Aluminium over it with some iPhone engravings on it. I wont be happy if
    its the final product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The back looks awful, and I can understand making the screen larger but the icons have a big gap at the bottom now. It's not designed very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Completely fake. The font on the back is wrong and the screws dont even line up on the bottom. Phew. Thats a relief anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they haven't put aluminium over the back, it is the back and sides. it's one piece of metal. the top and bottom of the back look like the glass back of an iphone 4 but i'd say it's plastic.

looks amazing but that's defintely fake, fakers should know that apple use myriad pro for the iphone font and not arial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

lol, the screen even says it's charging and it's not plugged in. And the gap under the icons is stretched when you look at the bubbles on the wallpaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Wow looks like puke °_°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Love the new design, love all the negativity! Means I might not be queuing for hours to get one!

Also, quite obvious with all the leaks from different places that this is pretty much going to be the new phone....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

smash wrote:
    lol, the screen even says it's charging and it's not plugged in.

could this be wireless charging ? that would be a pretty cool feature.

i really hope this isnt it, but with the amount of these 'fakes' cropping up i fear that it could be very close to the final design.

roll on sep 9...

im due an upgrade and will be getting it anyhoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, the screen is not meant to be a exactly how its going to look. They pieced the phone together from the available hardware parts and obviously put in a piece of printed paper as the screen as a mock-up.

this is very interesting.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/03/new-iphone-glass-thoroughly-measured-found-to-be-very-scratchproof-video/

it's a video of exact measurements of the new front panel. the overall length has just increased by 1.5mm~ and they've shrunk the white/black space at the home button and at the ear piece. this device will feel really good in the hand just like ordinary iphones and you won't have to dislocate your thumb to get to any corner of the screen like you do with most 4" phones.

also 16:9 is touted as the new aspect ratio, if so, FTW!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not feeling the love for a 16:9 screen at all. Useful for when the keyboard is showing, granted, but feck all use at making web pages any more legible. Would really have preferred a slightly wider screen.

What's the benefit? Watching 16:9 movies? Or is just easier for apple to stretch the screen rather than engage in a bigger redesign?

16:9 is great for video as you pointed out.

the reason apple have - or would seem to have - gone for stretching the screen and keeping the width the same is that if you hold the phone naturally in one hand, your thumb is still long enough (without dislocating it :pac:) to touch 99.9% of the screen area. if they widen the screen this percentage drops drastically. there was an article about this about a year ago when the 4S came out, i must try dig it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lads, the screen is not meant to be a exactly how its going to look. They pieced the phone together from the available hardware parts and obviously put in a piece of printed paper as the screen as a mock-up.

Piece of paper? Don't think so.

It's been done in Photoshop.

To me it's a normal iPhone 4/4S and they just elonagated the bottom through cloning.

Why people are thinking it's real is beyond me.

AFAIK a unofficial device wouldn't work either.

I remember when iPhone 4 was found in a bar it had been wiped remotely by Apple and just showed 'connect to computer' icon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

murpho999 wrote: »
    Piece of paper? Don't think so.

It's been done in Photoshop.

To me it's a normal iPhone 4/4S and they just elonagated the bottom through cloning.

Why people are thinking it's real is beyond me.

AFAIK a unofficial device wouldn't work either.

I remember when iPhone 4 was found in a bar it had been wiped remotely by Apple and just showed 'connect to computer' icon.

Its pretty clear by the lighting that its not Photoshop. It is a piece of paper put underneath the housing to show what the phone might eventually look like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

The comedian Sean Hughes once asked the late Bill Hicks why he stopped smoking. "I wanted to see if Denis Leary would copy me" he quipped.

What if Apple are releasing a bad phone on purpose to see if Samsung copy it? :D

16:9 is great for video as you pointed out.
    How much content is in 16:9, though? YouTube or any of the on-demand TV stuff ain't. I guess apple are looking to movies in their iTunes store.

the reason apple have - or would seem to have - gone for stretching the screen and keeping the width the same is that if you hold the phone naturally in one hand, your thumb is still long enough (without dislocating it :pac:) to touch 99.9% of the screen area. if they widen the screen this percentage drops drastically. there was an article about this about a year ago when the 4S came out, i must try dig it out.
    Darned Asians with their small hands. :pac:

Jeez, a coupe of mm to make a 4" screen wouldn't have killed anyone.

Dades wrote: »
    How much content is in 16:9, though? YouTube or any of the on-demand TV stuff ain't. I guess apple are looking to movies in their iTunes store.

Darned Asians with their small hands. :pac:

Jeez, a coupe of mm to make a 4" screen wouldn't have killed anyone.

They dont want to give their developers the headache of supporting different ratios, like Andriod devs are stuck with. Most apps (due to the green "on a call" bar) can be vertically resized easily.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    They dont want to give their developers the headache of supporting different ratios, like Andriod devs are stuck with. Most apps (due to the green "on a call" bar) can be vertically resized easily.
    apple have been telling their devs since the dawn of OS X to make the apps resolution independent. sure there will be a few tweaks needed but by in large it's going to have to happen at some stage (like it did for retina)

But it didn't change for retina.. they just doubled the pixels, the resolution/aspect ratio stayed the same. The only thing most developers had to do was to supply 2x image assets..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

thanks for that video... excellent. But why oh why does he have to wear condoms on his fingers :D:p

Simon201 wrote: »
    thanks for that video... excellent. But why oh why does he have to wear condoms on his fingers :D:p

Finger prints could probably trace back to the guy :rolleyes:

Simon201 wrote: »
    they were condoms? sorry I've never seen them that small ;)

But the aspect ratio is completely different now. Is it that in order to just widen the screen but maintain the resolution they wouldn't be able to call it "retina" anymore? I thought I read somewhere they could still maintain the aspet ratio and make the screen 4" (wider) and keep it under the 300 odd ppi they need to keep the marketing name.
    Finger prints could probably trace back to the guy :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with a pair of rubber gloves, I ask! Seems overkill to don 5 finger-condoms.

Dades wrote: »
    But the aspect ratio is completely different now. Is it that in order to just widen the screen but maintain the resolution they wouldn't be able to call it "retina" anymore? I thought I read somewhere they could still maintain the aspet ratio and make the screen 4" (wider) and keep it under the 300 odd ppi they need to keep the marketing name.

The aspect ratio is different, but horizontally it's the same as before.

If they were to widen the screen, they would probably have to

a) Keep the PPI, making the vertical width different. I've a feeling a lot would have to be changed for this.

b) Stretch the amount of pixels into the 4" 16:9 display, thus decreasing the PPI. Tech blogs would be all over this.

or and the most likely

c) keep PPI and vertical width the same, give a few more millimetres at the top and bottom of the screen and keep everyone (mostly everyone) happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

16:9 might not impact apps in portrait but what happens when you turn it to landscape?:confused:

mad muffin wrote: »
    16:9 might not impact apps in portrait but what happens when you turn it to landscape?:confused:

Moar awesome!

More room for games, maybe a segmented keyboard like the iPad? Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I will wait and see the thing in the shops. What annoys me is that apple don't seem to get the idea of a range of products. They have stuck with 3.5 for years when the rest of the world has moved on. A 4 inch screen won't really be enough. They will probably bring out a mini ipad in the hope of getting people to buy that as well. Why not leave a 3.5 screen for those who want that and go to 4.3 or 4.5 for others? Software can scale to different pc monitor sizes so its not the issue its made out to be for apps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement