Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iPhone Leaked [Unconfirmed]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

LoYL wrote: »
    I will wait and see the thing in the shops. What annoys me is that apple don't seem to get the idea of a range of products. They have stuck with 3.5 for years when the rest of the world has moved on. A 4 inch screen won't really be enough. They will probably bring out a mini ipad in the hope of getting people to buy that as well. Why not leave a 3.5 screen for those who want that and go to 4.3 or 4.5 for others? Software can scale to different pc monitor sizes so its not the issue its made out to be for apps.
    apple get products more than ANY company. they know of products that we don't even know we need/want yet.

why does apple have to copy everyone else and make a bigger screen? that's the sort of **** that gets you into courtrooms ;). Apple know what they are doing.

also having many products in the same line (say iphone or ipad) dilutes the brand, alienates customers - ohh your app won't run if you don't have the ipad with x y and z). they simplify things because god knows life is complicated enough without having to deal with 10 different permutations of hardware setups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Mr.S wrote: »
    Don't really want a bigger screen tbh, the current size of the 4 is perfect, big enough for browsing, videos etc but not to big that it feels weird in your hand (like the S3).

I'd keep the same screen size but would like a bit rounder/curvy (loved the 3G/s design!) and a bit thinner.

Features wise i'd like to see a better flash on the camera, better camera features, better quality front facing camera, better battery (!). Personally as well, i would love if they got rid of the home button and replaced it with a touch sensitive area instead of an actual button.

If the leaked photos are true the only thing i'd worry about design wise is the back of the phone, the metallic 2 colour thing going on looks a bit weird.
    So a range of screen sizes would suit.

apple get products more than ANY company. they know of products that we don't even know we need/want yet.

why does apple have to copy everyone else and make a bigger screen? that's the sort of **** that gets you into courtrooms ;). Apple know what they are doing.

also having many products in the same line (say iphone or ipad) dilutes the brand, alienates customers - ohh your app won't run if you don't have the ipad with x y and z). they simplify things because god knows life is complicated enough without having to deal with 10 different permutations of hardware setups.

lmao. You must work for apple pr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nope just know how business models work and apple's seems to be working. apple are the largest semi conductor user in the world. they are also the richest (bar exxon oil) in the world must be doing something right?

i just know they know what they are doing.

nope just know how business models work and apple's seems to be working. apple are the largest semi conductor user in the world. they are also the richest (bar exxon oil) in the world must be doing something right?

i just know they know what they are doing.
    I said Apple pr because of the naïveté of your post. People pick products because they suit them; brand loyalty is just a comfort blanket for marketing types. Ask Nokia. Apple don't know better than me what I want; they are one supplier among many. What they have done is strangled the supply chain well. They can't strangle innovation because they don't own it. As for being sued over screen size, well think about that and you will be embarrassed. The iPhone 5 will be a huge success especially in China where the obsession with labels is becoming well established From what is visible from leaks it will be the wrong product for me. If it really was picked by Jobs it's a classic example of the dead hand on the tiller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Apple don't know better than me what I want;
    Maybe not, but they do know better than you what a large number of other people want. Hence they sell 100s of millions of products, and you don't.

Johnmb wrote: »
    Maybe not, but they do know better than you what a large number of other people want. Hence they sell 100s of millions of products, and you don't.

Deep breath to keep patience with those who don't read posts: I did say a range of products. So for those who are happy with 3.5 fine. But for those who want a bigger screen...oops, nothing. We might get 4.065 shortly (the .065 is significant apparently). If you look at the size of android screens available and the numbers of those sold you get a different perspective on Apple knowing what a large number of people want. And of course I don't sell those millions of products; neither do you. That point is just silly. I await the iphone 5 with interest. It's decision time then for me: it would be nice to think that Apple had some basis for screen size decision in market research world wide rather than supposed software issues, or hd ratios or Jobs decreed it and he was never wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I beg to differ.
    Innovation. It's Apple after all. Things need to keep moving forward. 4/4s design is 2 years old. It's to much like them.

I don't believe this is the 6th generation iPhone.

It may be two years old, but it's still the best designed mobile on the market in my opinion. There's no other device built like it on the market at the moment. The Galaxy S3 is still made from flimsy plastic, and while the HTC One range are well built, it still doesn't scream of the same premium feel that the iPhone offers. The shattering of the glass is a worry, but I'd still take it over any other build.

I quite like this new rumoured design, it adds a bigger screen while not adding to the overall size of the phone. Whether it is real or not is another question, I've stopped putting faith in these rumours after last year's 4S reveal. I've become more interested in what Apple adds software wise. iOS6 will bring some nice new additions and tweaks, but nothing breath-taking at the same time.

Dman001 wrote: »
    it still doesn't scream of the same premium feel that the iPhone offers.

I got the first iphone because it was far more useful than other mobiles. That gap has been closed entirely for two years. The "feel" of the damn thing is irrelevant to me. I think Apple will have a huge success with the 5 especially in China but for me they have become just a designer label without the advantages .

I got the first iphone because it was far more useful than other mobiles. That gap has been closed entirely for two years. The "feel" of the damn thing is irrelevant to me. I think Apple will have a huge success with the 5 especially in China but for me they have become just a designer label without the advantages .
    I've been an Android user almost a year now, and have owned an iPhone in the past. Not only is Apple's App catalogue much better, but the quality of the apps are in a league of there own. Android's fragmentation is a mess at the moment, between different phones having different specs and so are not capable of running the latest software. Then there's the problem of manufacturers putting their own UI over the latest software, delaying the rollout of the latest update to customers. It has been ten months since Google announced Android 4.0, and customers are still only receiving the software update, despite Google announcing another update in the meantime. It's an absolute mess. Despite this, Google are catching up with their offerings, and the quality of their OS and the "unofficial" dev community is always thriving.

Not only is Apple's hardware design at the top, their software is much better in many ways and have showing why a "closed" option is better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Deep breath to keep patience with those who don't read posts: I did say a range of products. So for those who are happy with 3.5 fine. But for those who want a bigger screen...oops, nothing. We might get 4.065 shortly (the .065 is significant apparently). If you look at the size of android screens available and the numbers of those sold you get a different perspective on Apple knowing what a large number of people want. And of course I don't sell those millions of products; neither do you. That point is just silly. I await the iphone 5 with interest. It's decision time then for me: it would be nice to think that Apple had some basis for screen size decision in market research world wide rather than supposed software issues, or hd ratios or Jobs decreed it and he was never wrong.
    As has been pointed out already, Apple is about simplicity. A range with different size screens etc is not simple. If you want a Samsung S3 sized screen, buy a Samsung S3. Apple will work out what size screen strikes the right balance between what they are happy to develop for, what their third party developers are happy to develop for, what their suppliers can create, and what enough people will be happy with to let them sell out of what they can create. They don't have to create different things to suit everybody, nor do they try. They have a very limited range, and as a result that allows them to create the best products within that range. They have a proven track record which shows that they know what they are doing, you don't, that was the point. Apple aren't going to, and shouldn't, change a winning formula just to satisfy a few people who want something Apple don't make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I like the metal cover, its nice and would make the phone have a much better build quality.

I just hope the internals are impressive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

For anyone interested, I found these comparative mockups on the different options for screen size in the Macrumours forums:

tumblr_m2hincJ9PC1qzngst.png

7728554990_8708e4b4fd.jpg

7729375264_a1a6f12b9e_z.jpg

7726267080_08815d389b.jpg

Still want a bigger 3:2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Dades wrote: »

Still want a bigger 3:2 :p

yeh, 3:2 looks the way to go

but this new slimlongphone design is really doing the rounds - it has to be it doesnt it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

440ppi is ludicrous, and I dont think anyone has even crossed the 350ppi barrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

miralize wrote: »
    440ppi is ludicrous, and I dont think anyone has even crossed the 350ppi barrier.

HTC are rumoured to working on a 5 inch 1080 screen, but I agree that it's a fairly pointless exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Reading this has got me a little exited now:

http://thetechblock.com/the-unibody-iphone

Apple dominate the US market. Samsung the world. If this is the 5 in the videos and it would seem likely that it is, it's not for me. I won't mind paying for new apps on S3 and all the ones I use everyday are there on Android. Pity but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Apple dominate the US market. Samsung the world. If this is the 5 in the videos and it would seem likely that it is, it's not for me. I won't mind paying for new apps on S3 and all the ones I use everyday are there on Android. Pity but there you go.

Has the S3/S2 outsold the the iPhone outside of the US?

I hope this is the new design. It is a beauty of a device. I didn't think they could improve on the 4/4S design but they have if this is the real deal.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see, if the new 16:9 screen on the iPhone is real, what it means for future generations of the iPad. Will the next iPad come with the same widescreen, as opposed to the current 4:3 screen. Apple's choice of screen often baffled me with the iPad. While it made sense for reading magazines and newspapers, but wasn't great for watching movies with two thick black bars either side of the screen taking up 50% of the screen.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Apple's choice of screen often baffled me with the iPad. While it made sense for reading magazines and newspapers, but wasn't great for watching movies with two thick black bars either side of the screen taking up 50% of the screen.
    Basic web browsing and email would be a pain in the arse on a 16:9 iPad. And with the keyboard open you've have bugger all screen space left.

Surely there's any number of cheap tablets that will show (and store more) movies? The iPad is so much more than just a movie viewer, as a glance in the App Store would show. They'd be nuts to compromise all the other functionality it provides just for that one aspect ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

That's the approach that almost killed Apple in the Scully era. They had so many versions of the same model Mac for a finish that consumers couldn't decide what the best model for them was. Jobs' view was and always has been to offer a limited number of items but to make those items the best that they could possibly be. That is one approach Apple will never stray from again I believe. I think myself that mini iPad will be the new touch and your iPhone will always be an iPhone, not an iPhone lite for instance. The only lite will be in what features aging models support. That encourages people to upgrade and that's just a good thing for everybody really. Apple aren't afraid to drop support for older models. I think they've got things working pretty well right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Basic web browsing and email would be a pain in the arse on a 16:9 iPad. And with the keyboard open you've have bugger all screen space left.

Surely there's any number of cheap tablets that will show (and store more) movies? The iPad is so much more than just a movie viewer, as a glance in the App Store would show. They'd be nuts to compromise all the other functionality it provides just for that one aspect ratio.

It was the one thing I loved about the Motorola Xoom when I bought it between ipad and ipad2.
    Narrow bezels all around and I loved the way it was geared for landscape.
    If anything I found email+internet even better.
    It's the one thing I really miss on the ipad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I feel this is needed in this thread for a couple of loyal threaders

ta.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Talk of fingerprint scanning technology being included in the new iPhone.

I think thats a fantastic step forward if were to start paying for things with
    NFC in the very near future. If it were to happen, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Talk of fingerprint scanning technology being included in the new iPhone.

I think thats a fantastic step forward if were to start paying for things with
    NFC in the very near future. If it were to happen, that is.

That will not happen , trust me

Though hopefully they'll include a NFC chip. Then they can add payment features in an update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Kenno90 wrote: »
    That will not happen , trust me

Though hopefully they'll include a NFC chip. Then they can add payment features in an update

I think your wrong there, it may not happen in the next iPhone but i think its almost a
    certainty at some stage. Thinking about it logically it is the safest way to ensure nobody
    else is paying for anything but the owner of the phone. And is feck all use if stolen.

Apple wouldn't be desperately pushing forward an
    Acquisition of AuthenTec
    if they didn't plan on using this
    technology in their products. And as the article states, its probable
    that the new technology is already included in the new devices and
    the Acquisition is to make it difficult for competitors to copy this
    move in future.

It would be nice if Apple has something 'new' to really shout about in this
    next iPhone rather than a new body, bigger screen and improved camera.

Does a vendor exist that you would even be able to buy something with using fingerprint scanning technology?

I'd rather an FM radio chip in my iPhone if no vendors were actually going to use that technology until the iPhone 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Does a vendor exist that you would even be able to buy something with using fingerprint scanning technology?

I'd rather an FM radio chip in my iPhone if no vendors were actually going to use that technology until the iPhone 10.

Again with the FM radio?

I think a new stylus is needed to change that stuck record! :pac:

I kid, I kid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement