Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iPhone Leaked [Unconfirmed]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Dades wrote: »
    Does a vendor exist that you would even be able to buy something with using fingerprint scanning technology?

I'd rather an FM radio chip in my iPhone if no vendors were actually going to use that technology until the iPhone 10.
    If they implement the technology, it wouldn't be the vendor who'd need to scan fingerprints, it would be the phone. The vendor would just need a scanner to read the NFC signal, the phone would require your fingerprint to authorise the chip to make the payment from your phone's end, instead of a PIN. Although, now those rumours point to some other technology that Apple was interested in from that company I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Johnmb wrote: »
    If they implement the technology, it wouldn't be the vendor who'd need to scan fingerprints, it would be the phone. The vendor would just need a scanner to read the NFC signal, the phone would require your fingerprint to authorise the chip to make the payment from your phone's end, instead of a PIN. Although, now those rumours point to some other technology that Apple was interested in from that company I think.
    My point was for the iPhone tech to be any use the vendor needs *some* technology at their end - which I'm guessing is a long way away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

My point was for the iPhone tech to be any use the vendor needs *some* technology at their end - which I'm guessing is a long way away.
    Apparently all the Centra's are getting them, or will be the first to.

I dont get how NFC works in phones. Do you have to top them up? I don't think I will be bothered with it. Considering I have it now in my bank card which is linked straight to my bank account. I have yet to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Apparently all the Centra's are getting them, or will be the first to.

I dont get how NFC works in phones. Do you have to top them up? I don't think I will be bothered with it. Considering I have it now in my bank card which is linked straight to my bank account. I have yet to use it.

Boots already have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

The new credit card readers will use the technology, so pretty much everyone who accepts card payments will be able to handle the technology, once the new readers are installed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well now I am interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

NFC payments will not take off until it's on an iphone guaranteed.

it will be done through apps like ulster bank, bank of ireland i assume or tied to your itunes account.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

ios6 includes the new PASSBOOK which could be Apple's plan for NFC

i have the contactless payment on my visa debit (boi) but ive not seen anywhere i can use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

ios6 includes the new PASSBOOK which could be Apple's plan for NFC

i have the contactless payment on my visa debit (boi) but ive not seen anywhere i can use it?

Did you have to request that on your BOI card? It seems they are replacing all Laser cards with Visa Debit cards but I'm not sure everyone is getting contactless technology on their card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

G-Money wrote: »
    Did you have to request that on your BOI card? It seems they are replacing all Laser cards with Visa Debit cards but I'm not sure everyone is getting contactless technology on their card.

My wife and I had the lasers replaced with the debt ones and they were contact less without requesting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

G-Money wrote: »

Theyre all going to have the contactless payments inside the cards. Makes no sense to give them to only half of their customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

boi are giving the option of contactless - i had to request

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/visa-debit-cards/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

No PIN or ID required? That a tad dangerous isn't it? The only thing is that is for transactions less than €15 so if you did lose your card\phone your account wouldn't be hit too hard too quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Heard today that phone to be presented 12 SEP and pre order to US on the same day

Pre Order for us 21SEP

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Heard today that phone to be presented 12 SEP and pre order to US on the same day

Pre Order for us 21SEP

There won't be per orders for us. No one but tier 1 countries get per orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

So if it was to be released in the states the end of September would we be talking mid October for the networks here to get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Jofspring wrote: »
    So if it was to be released in the states the end of September would we be talking mid October for the networks here to get them?

Whenever Appel release it the networks will have it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

12 Sept is a quite likely date. It was around that time last year they had the conference showing the 4S and iOS5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.S wrote: »
    Later for the networks, id say october we'll be able to buy it from Apple and then November/December onwards the networks will get it

Where do people get this from?

Last year the 4s was announced on October 4th, available for pre-order on October 7 in seven initial countries (United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, France, Germany and Japan) with the first delivery date set for October 14, 2011 It was released in 22 more countries, including Ireland, on October 28.

iPad this year was even quicker.

Why is there this myth that Ireland get s stuff a lot later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I had to wait 5 weeks after it launched to get the 4s in o2. stocks are very low for Tier 2/3(?) customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

September 12th is most likely going to be the announcement date. And we could probably have it two weeks after the US. So early October. Apple have been tightening up and improving the manufacturing process for the iPhone over the years. It get's quicker and quicker every time. We got the 4S two weeks after the US and that was Apple's biggest selling iPhone of all time. It outsold all other models combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Some photos of a prototype with finalized design casing of the iPhone has surfaced in Bangkok. The prototype, which is obviously a fake, is not functioning, but is a replica prototype

Zju5J.jpg
    L0tNv.jpg
    0wVR4.jpg

http://www.neowin.net/news/eyes-on-with-the-iphone-5-sort-of

All these rumours so far seem consistent on this design .
    DubDJ wrote: »
    September 12th is most likely going to be the announcement date. And we could probably have it two weeks after the US. So early October. Apple have been tightening up and improving the manufacturing process for the iPhone over the years. It get's quicker and quicker every time. We got the 4S two weeks after the US and that was Apple's biggest selling iPhone of all time. It outsold all other models combined.

Err, I think you're getting confused. The 4S outsold all other Android phones in the Oct '11-April '12 launch window. In the US.

I really don't like the headphone jack being on the bottom. I hope that's not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mad muffin wrote: »
    There won't be per orders for us. No one but tier 1 countries get per orders.

Didn't say there would be...said 12 SEP for US and 21 SEP for us (as in us..Ireland, tier 2 us):D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Syferus wrote: »
    Err, I think you're getting confused. The 4S outsold all other Android phones in the Oct '11-April '12 launch window. In the US.

No he's right. Apple sold more iPhone 4S's than all the other iPhones put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

mad muffin wrote: »
    Syferus wrote: »

No he's right. Apple sold more iPhone 4S's than all the other iPhones put together.

Yeah as said above. I was referring to all other models of the iPhone combined. I'm guessing you thought I meant Android phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I really don't like the headphone jack being on the bottom. I hope that's not the case.

Hope it is the case, better location in my opinion. Lets say your listening to music or you are on a call and your phone is in your pocket, when taking it out, you have to flip it around for access to the home button. Where as, if it plugged into the bottom of the phone, this would not be the case.

Also, if the phone is on a computer desk in front of you, the cable will not be getting in the way of the screen if it plugs into the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Hope it is the case, better location in my opinion. Lets say your listening to music or you are on a call and your phone is in your pocket, when taking it out, you have to flip it around for access to the home button. Where as, if it plugged into the bottom of the phone, this would not be the case.

Also, if the phone is on a computer desk in front of you, the cable will not be getting in the way of the screen if it plugs into the bottom.

Agreed, also when you would be holding it, the earphone cable will be hanging nicely at the bottom out the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh. It's much better on the bottom.

• Advertisement

I guess that's a problem for people who use straight connector ear phones. I have an L jack and it never gets in the way of the screen.

Hated it on the iPod touch and I'll hate it on the new phone (won't stop me buying it though)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement