Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building new computer, looking for advice

Options
  • 29-07-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey guys, looking to build a computer, preferably for around €600 but I'm willing to break this limit if needs be.
    I'll be using this mainly for video capture/editing/rendering as well as some gaming.
    I already have a monitor, gfx card, disc drive and a capture device so I'm looking for the following;
    -cpu
    -mobo
    -ram
    -tower
    -psu
    -ssd
    -hdd

I had the following parts in mind, but aren't sure if it's overkill or exactly what I need.
    cpu
    mobo
    ram
    ssd

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Ram - Overkill by 8GB Gskill stuff
    Mobo - Over kill unless you want to use SLI / Xfire? If not buy the Pro3
    SSD - will break buy the samsung 830

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What's the graphics card?

What kind of gaming are you thinking of? (these questions are mostly to get a handle on what PSU you'd need)

Are there any size constraints on the case (i.e. small space)?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Roniboney

Solitaire wrote: »
    What's the graphics card?
    HD Radeon 6570
    What kind of gaming are you thinking of? (these questions are mostly to get a handle on what PSU you'd need)
    Starcraft, some fps games. Probably newer titles.
    Are there any size constraints on the case (i.e. small space)?
    Nope, any size goes.

If you guys have any recommendations pertaining to the kind of PC that I would need to record,render and edit efficiently I'll go with those choices.

But to be clear I'd like a PC that will last like 3-5 years if possible hence the overkill items I listed in my OP.

There's overkill to last 5 years and overkill never using the features.

Motherboards are a great example

Z77 chipset = good idea really good over clocking; Z77 Chipset + SLI + 8 SATA ports - Will you use them?

RAM is another: 8GB = Good idea; 8GB of 2133Mhz heat pipe cooled, pink coloured with a fan thing that attaches = waste of money. Especially when you could get 16GB for the same money.

I dont know much about video editing but I think a i7 might be worth investing in rather than e-peen ram (oh sounds rude) and SLI (2 GPU cards) unless you know you will be using it.

I also think you should favour the nVidia cards for CUDA if you are using something like the adobe programs.

We'd really need to know more about what you want to use it for (which apps) and what features you need - SLI, lots of hard drives ect...

• Advertisement

There's overkill to last 5 years and overkill never using the features.

Motherboards are a great example

Z77 chipset = good idea really good over clocking; Z77 Chipset + SLI + 8 SATA ports - Will you use them?

RAM is another: 8GB = Good idea; 8GB of 2133Mhz heat pipe cooled, pink coloured with a fan thing that attaches = waste of money. Especially when you could get 16GB for the same money.

I dont know much about video editing but I think a i7 might be worth investing in rather than e-peen ram (oh sounds rude) and SLI (2 GPU cards) unless you know you will be using it.

I also think you should favour the nVidia cards for CUDA if you are using something like the adobe programs.

We'd really need to know more about what you want to use it for (which apps) and what features you need - SLI, lots of hard drives ect...

Ok thanks for the advice man.If it gets me what I want for a cheaper price I'm all ears.

In regards to my video card I'd really not like to change it as the one I have is less than a year old and has been used maybe 3 times as I mainly use my M11x R2 to edit,record,play games ect..I'd like to use this laptop for light gaming but mainly for university work now and using it to do everything I'd like is just not practical anymore.

Well basically I'm getting invested into making videos on youtube and I'd like a computer that can quickly render my files,a PC that has good functionality with if I decide to record gameplay with fraps whilst playing on high graphics settings.

The rest of the things I'll be using it for are simple things like skyping,internet use,music ect......It is mainly the youtube video making.
    My laptop and desktop are currently taking nearly 3 hours to render to 20 minute files after I've synced the video and audio which is completely unacceptable.If my new PC can record gameplay,keep my skype lag free,edit quickly and play on high graphics when I'd like it to then that would be my ideal PC.

A 2tb hard drive should suffice tbh in answer to your question.

In regards to the RAM size if I can get 16gb for a cheaper price and that has a better purpose for what I'd like to do then I down for that.

What GPU (video card) do you have will you be ever using two of them?

I assume you also have a case - what is it?

Will you be overclocking?

What GPU (video card) do you have will you be ever using two of them?

I assume you also have a case - what is it?

Will you be overclocking?

hd radeon 6570

a dell inspiron case

When I'm playing games yes I will.

That case will need changing - and that's not a gaming GPU. Are you playing very old games?

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€37.24
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€102.51
    Seagate SV35 2TB SATA 6Gb's|€114.98
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€93.44
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155|€180.00
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.89
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.86
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.18
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€655.09

Without a GPU - you can use the current one but it's going to be like putting diesel in a Ferrari. It'll do though until you can upgrade it. Is your copy of Windows 7 a dell copy? If it is it will be tied to the motherboard of your current machine :(

For lots of video work you might want to consider a smaller faster HDD. The one I put in is actually not suitable but the price is about right.
    This is one option:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/37168/WD+Caviar+Black+1TB+SATA+3+8%2C9cm(3%2C5).article
    The black version is the fast 7200RPM - I dont know why the 2TB version is €168 ::eek::

First 2TB 7200RPM - shockingly small 1 year guarantee on it though!
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/53881/Seagate+Barracuda+7200+2000GB%2C+SATA+6Gb+s.article

That case will need changing - and that's not a gaming GPU. Are you playing very old games?

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€37.24
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€102.51
    Seagate SV35 2TB SATA 6Gb's|€114.98
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€93.44
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155|€180.00
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.89
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.86
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.18
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€655.09
    Without a GPU - you can use the current one but it's going to be like putting diesel in a Ferrari. It'll do though until you can upgrade it. Is your copy of Windows 7 a dell copy?

For lots of video work you might want to consider a smaller faster HDD. The one I put in is actually not suitable but the price is about right.
    This is one option:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/37168/WD+Caviar+Black+1TB+SATA+3+8%2C9cm(3%2C5).article
    The black version is the fast 7200RPM - I dont know why the 2TB version is €168 ::eek::

First 2TB 7200RPM - shockingly small 1 year guarantee on it though!
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/53881/Seagate+Barracuda+7200+2000GB%2C+SATA+6Gb+s.article

I'm speechless man...thank you.It was probably easy for you to compile all of that but thanks for helping.

In terms of games I'm playing it's mainly starcraft with some valve games so not a lot of graphics power needed.Mainly a ps3 gamer so whatever PC games I play are usually really specific and isolated.When Heart Of The Swarm comes out I'll be playing a lot of it.In reality if I can play new games with my current GFX on medium settings I'm cool with that.As long as I record in hd (which I'll be able to do) I can just upscale the graphics when I'm editing the clips.It's an easy feat.

If you can come from the angle that I'm using this primarily for editing then I think we can get places quickly.If I decide the graphics card is indeed not up to par then I'll just have to upgrade it.It's that simple.I'll cross that bridge when the time comes but I'd like to try the one I have out first.

• Advertisement

Sorry for all the questions! :) Its just knowing certain things (like your gaming style) can save €€€ on picking the right components. You had the extreme4 - great choice but not worth it for what you want. The Pro3 will give you all the futureproofing without the added cost of features you don't.

The 2500K is paired with a reasonable cooler. Note there are two near identical versions of that case. The Merc Alpha (one specced) or the Beta - the beta has less holes for fans but is less of a dust magnet.

If you need to buy Windows - get it from Software4students for €54.99.

Thank fluffy's script for the compiling :)

Sorry for all the questions! :) Its just knowing certain things (like your gaming style) can save €€€ on picking the right components. You had the extreme4 - great choice but not worth it for what you want. The Pro3 will give you all the futureproofing without the added cost of features you don't.

The 2500K is paired with a reasonable cooler. Note there are two near identical versions of that case. The Merc Alpha (one specced) or the Beta - the beta has less holes for fans but is less of a dust magnet.

If you need to buy Windows - get it from Software4students for €54.99.

Thank fluffy's script for the compiling :)

sorry I was plagued by some platinum anti-virus trojan and just system resetted.

I think Blandkitten can get me the windows 7 software being a comp science major.

Ok so should what you listed give me what you guys consider the ideal for my price range and needs?

ok man so I've ordered all of my stuff and opted for the faster 1tb hdd as you recommended.If I need more space my Dad has an external 1tb hd that I can borrow for a while.

It all came out to €661.58.Not bad at all imo.I'm hoping it will be here next week and then the fun part............assembly.

GCD and others...but mainly GCD your an absolute gentleman and scholar.

Advertisement