Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detail on Samsung ES6300 as Freesat+Saorview+PVR+Smart TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Apogee

'Freeview' presumably as per the photos kindly posted by dkane.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79989681&postcount=20

20120515_210144.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Signac

just bought 32es6300. was able to tune in freesat and saorview, but not simultaneously. Setting cou try to uk and aerial to satellite overwrites saorview. will reordering saotrview numbers to 800 prevent the overwriting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Signac wrote: »
    just bought 32es6300. was able to tune in freesat and saorview, but not simultaneously. Setting cou try to uk and aerial to satellite overwrites saorview. will reordering saotrview numbers to 800 prevent the overwriting?

Thats a strange sequence of events. Note that you don't use Ireland as the country for anything - just choose UK and then do the Air and Freesat tuning. As mentioned above, the Air wouldn't be branded as Saorview but all the stations will be there. Also, remember that Satellite isn't Freesat. There should be four "aerial" options when you are in UK country - Air (aka DTT/Saorview and analogue), Cable (not used in Ireland), Satellite (normal sat tuner, no 7 day EPG), Freesat (Asks for your postcode, auto tunes in just the UK Freesat channels, 7 day epg).

Hope that helps. If anyone figures out a way of switching between them without picking from a list (i.e. a button/code that definitely chooses a particular tuner) then they might post it up here...

Edit -> just one final thing that might be confusing you, the Saorview and Freesat channels are not on the same channel list, Freesat license forbids any other channels in the listing. So you need to switch "aerial" to see the Saorview channels. Click Menu-> Channel->Aerial, choose Air. This is what I am looking for a single code/button way of doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

My 37" ES6300 arrived from Amazon yesterday! :cool:

I'm not at home now, but I tried setting it up last night and am having problems switching between Freesat and analogue.

All I have connected is a Sat cable from the Sky minidish and a co-ax cable running from the Sky+ box in the other room. I can get it to auto tune all the Freesat channels OK having entered a UK postcode, but I can't seem to get it to tune in the analogue feed too :confused:

When I go to set up the analogue feed, I can't choose a suitable "Freesat+analogue" option. It seems to only want to look for digital channels on analogue. When I select the analogue scan, it correctly picks up the feed from the Sky+ co-ax (takes a few mins for the whole scan - and it only finds the one "channel" as I have no aerial yet), but then that's all I have! I can't seem to switch between analogue and Freesat inputs, as Freesat isn't tuned in anymore.

When I then re-run the Freesat setup, I can't find the analogue channel anymore!

Looking at dkane's pics in the other thread, it's possible I'm doing something wrong, as I think I was trying to switch input's by pressing the top-right button on the remote. But in fact, if I remember right, it seems to be more an issue on the Auto Tune page where I can't seem select to tune analogue channels and Freesat together.

What I want is the Freesat EPG, and then to be able to say press "Channel 0" to select the Sky+ input from the other room and then navigate that EPG using the Sky remote via the Magic Eye.

Gwynston wrote: »
    My 37" ES6300 arrived from Amazon yesterday! :cool:

I'm not at home now, but I tried setting it up last night and am having problems switching between Freesat and analogue.

All I have connected is a Sat cable from the Sky minidish and a co-ax cable running from the Sky+ box in the other room. I can get it to auto tune all the Freesat channels OK having entered a UK postcode, but I can't seem to get it to tune in the analogue feed too :confused:

When I go to set up the analogue feed, I can't choose a suitable "Freesat+analogue" option. It seems to only want to look for digital channels on analogue. When I select the analogue scan, it correctly picks up the feed from the Sky+ co-ax (takes a few mins for the whole scan - and it only finds the one "channel" as I have no aerial yet), but then that's all I have! I can't seem to switch between analogue and Freesat inputs, as Freesat isn't tuned in anymore.

When I then re-run the Freesat setup, I can't find the analogue channel anymore!

One point on this - the Air aerial tunes both digital and analogue - you switch between them in the channel list - go right or left and you'll see the channel list header change to TV, Favourites and ... Analogue...

Failing that, if you go into Manual Tune while in the Air aerial, you can manually add the Sky RF frequency...

• Advertisement

Thanks, I got it working eventually. I need to select "Ch-List" then "Red" for the Aerial Input menu to switch between Freesat and Analogue. I was trying to do it from the "Input Source" button at top-right.

Shame there isn't a more concise way to do it quicker... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Signac

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Signac wrote: »

Thats a strange sequence of events. Note that you don't use Ireland as the country for anything - just choose UK and then do the Air and Freesat tuning. As mentioned above, the Air wouldn't be branded as Saorview but all the stations will be there. Also, remember that Satellite isn't Freesat. There should be four "aerial" options when you are in UK country - Air (aka DTT/Saorview and analogue), Cable (not used in Ireland), Satellite (normal sat tuner, no 7 day EPG), Freesat (Asks for your postcode, auto tunes in just the UK Freesat channels, 7 day epg).

Hope that helps. If anyone figures out a way of switching between them without picking from a list (i.e. a button/code that definitely chooses a particular tuner) then they might post it up here...

Edit -> just one final thing that might be confusing you, the Saorview and Freesat channels are not on the same channel list, Freesat license forbids any other channels in the listing. So you need to switch "aerial" to see the Saorview channels. Click Menu-> Channel->Aerial, choose Air. This is what I am looking for a single code/button way of doing :)

thanks for that. Together with earlier post and this i solved problem. I was changinging country when going from saorview to freesat. Just set country to uk for both air &sat and tunrd in. Got saorview channels

Thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

Really interesting thread,

One question re diseqc and non-freesat channels:

Can the tv manage diseqc ok and so can you add non freesat channels?
    Will the channels appear on the saorview list or another list?

Many thanks,

M

marcel353 wrote: »
    Really interesting thread,

One question re diseqc and non-freesat channels:

Can the tv manage diseqc ok and so can you add non freesat channels?
    Will the channels appear on the saorview list or another list?

Many thanks,

M
    It has "positioner settings" that mention DiSEqC 1.2 as an option. Within that it asks for long/lat details. So I assume it does deal w it ok.

You can add non-freesat but they go into their own "Satellite" channel list, separate again from both Saorview and Freesat. There isn't any ability to mix these sources into a combined channel list in any way - they each have their own "favourites" for example that don't allow inclusion of channels from another list. This is the main disadvantage I think of this TV but it not a deal breaker for me - I have a harmony remote so I have the aerial switch down to two key presses.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain, and it's something I do often switching between the RF feed from our Sky+ box and the Freesat tuner. The sequence is:

1. [Ch-List]
    2. [Red-A]
    3. [Down] or [Up]
    4. [Select]
    5. [Exit]

The 5th step is especially annoying, for while the "Switched Channel" acknowledgment message disappears after a couple of seconds without needing to select "OK", the Channel List window does not, so you have to press Exit.

I'm getting faster at it, but the design of the remote doesn't help. It's very long and narrow, so I find some of the buttons are so far apart, you have to physically move your hand up and down it. It's not easy to press all the most used buttons by keeping your hand in one position. I think the indent on the back for resting your finger underneath is too far up - it's in a position to naturally access the volume and channel up/down buttons with your thumb, whereas most of the buttons in the sequence above require you to hold the remote further down to press them easily with the thumb.

I think I will try to run a very long HDMI cable from the Sky+ box rather than co-ax. Then I can switch using the "Source" button top-right, saving 2 or 3 presses, as well as improving picture quality.

Of course, when I eventually get an aerial feed, I'll still need to go through that 5-press sequence when switching to Saoview...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'm glad reassured that others are finding the input switching Saorview/Freesat a bit of a pain. I had a look at their €2500 latest model and disappointed to see that dispite all the gimmicky voice control and gesture control they havent fixed this simple but annoying flaw in an otherwise pretty TV. I can understand that perhaps epg licensing might be getting in the way, but I dont think this is an issue on other combi TVs or receivers so shouldnt be such a lack on this one.
    As it stands it is probably better paired with a Freesat box than using the internal sat tuner. Pity.

Realistically this TV's worth lies in the screen and design, NOT the gimmicks or not so smart options.

Wil - let's be clear here. It's not a show-stopper. It takes 5 button presses and realistically, it would be exceptional to get it under 3. Unless there was a "hot key" switch, kind of like someone posted they'd set up with a one4all remote.

I plan on getting a USB HDD to use the PVR features and then I expect to be switching to the external Sky+ RF feed (from the lounge) much less, as a lot of my TV watching is done on catch-up, and largely from terrestrial channels.

And then I'll really appreciate the benefit of the built-in Freesat tuner and the great HD quality. The main point of this purchase was to get rid of our old CRT sat on a cupboard with an old Freeview Sky box. This is a single-unit solution that can be mounted on the wall, getting rid of everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

And then I'll really appreciate the benefit of the built-in Freesat tuner and the great HD quality. The main point of this purchase was to get rid of our old CRT sat on a cupboard with an old Freeview Sky box. This is a single-unit solution that can be mounted on the wall, getting rid of everything else!

Agreed 100%. I got a Freesat TV 3 years ago and have never regretted it (until I saw the 2012 models from Samsung and Panasonic). No boxes, one remote, no bills, HD content, brill! Its a pity that the arrival of Freeview HD has drastically reduced the choice of Freesat TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just to double confirm this - you are getting both a soar view and freesat EPG? The reason I ask is that I had another look at the video that has me most excited about the Samsung. The video is http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1PkQrAltA4 and at 3.00 you see him go to the sat EPG but its not freesat! No logo and only now and next showing for those channels that have any program data. So that is the same as a standard combo box :-(

So, can u confirm you are getting 7 day epg for both soar view and sat? Are they both logo'ed?

Thats my TV! i didnt set up my TV with a UK postcode so this must be why im only getting now and next on satellite... must sort it out :D

Also does the 6300 TV not have a history button? The 8000 series does and allows simple changing over and back from Saorview to Freesat channels previously watched (aswell as other apps etc) with the press of the History followed by select button.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Also does the 6300 TV not have a history button? The 8000 series does and allows simple changing over and back from Saorview to Freesat channels previously watched (aswell as other apps etc) with the press of the History followed by select button.
    This was the thing I was most disappointed about in comparision to your video. Turns out (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the history button is on the second, bluetooth connected, "smart" remote. And the 6300 doesn't have one of those, so no history function. I've gone through all 256 possible rf remote codes and no history pop up. Such a pity! I use a harmony combined remote so even if I could get the smart remote as an extra for the 6300 it wouldn't really help as I want to stick to one remote (and the harmony obviously can't emulate a bluetooth originated code)

This was the thing I was most disappointed about in comparision to your video. Turns out (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the history button is on the second, bluetooth connected, "smart" remote. And the 6300 doesn't have one of those, so no history function. I've gone through all 256 possible rf remote codes and no history pop up. Such a pity! I use a harmony combined remote so even if I could get the smart remote as an extra for the 6300 it wouldn't really help as I want to stick to one remote (and the harmony obviously can't emulate a bluetooth originated code)

For the craic if i were you i would head in to a Currys/Harveys and see if they would allow you to use an 8000 series remote on the 6300 series just to see if the tv has the History function for definite,

You may then be able to pick up an 8000 series remote on ebay (Not too cheap though..)

This one appears to be the same as mine:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Genuine-Samsung-UE40ES8000UXXU-TV-Remote-Control-/271032872160?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item3f1ad16ce0#ht_1591wt_1054

Hmmm, that is the normal remote, no? Do you not have a second, "smart", remote that has some kind of touch pad on it, with a few keys? Like the one on the left here...

http://www.hdtv-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Samsung-46ES7000_remote-controls.jpg

Having said that, the normal remote on the right has a history button! Oh! When I read the manual for the 8000 online, it seemed to imply that the history screen you show in your video was coming from a button the smart remote, not the normal remote. Can you confirm that you press a button on the main, normal remote to get history?

Hmmm, that is the normal remote, no? Do you not have a second, "smart", remote that has some kind of touch pad on it, with a few keys? Like the one on the left here...

http://www.hdtv-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Samsung-46ES7000_remote-controls.jpg

Having said that, the normal remote on the right has a history button! Oh! When I read the manual for the 8000 online, it seemed to imply that the history screen you show in your video was coming from a button the smart remote, not the normal remote. Can you confirm that you press a button on the main, normal remote to get history?

I don't use that smart remote at all. I only use the standard remote and that's the one i used in my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1PkQrAltA4&feature=plcp

at 2:40 it shows the history button function..click of a button :)

That smart remote doesnt have any History button thats for sure. It has some sort of a track pad and is quiet confusing to use. It seems utterly pointless, as is waving your hands around like a gimp using the motion control, or even talking to the TV...thats annoying too. On occasions a quiet part of a movie with one person talking might forced my tv to change to some app by accident. I have since turned off all voice and motion control.. they are of no use to me :)

I don't use that smart remote at all. I only use the standard remote and that's the one i used in my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1PkQrAltA4&feature=plcp

at 2:40 it shows the history button function..click of a button :)

Very interesting! As I say I went through all the possible codes using a special PC based remote control thingy and I couldn't get a history screen to pop up. But there is an active community of hackers for these tellies so it might be that at some point I can change the service settings so the TV thinks its an 8000 (or something that has that history button!) and get it that way. In the meantime I might bring a learning remote into currys and grab that code, just to double confirm the 6300 isn't responding to it.

• Advertisement

Having said that, the normal remote on the right has a history button! Oh!

Yeah, that 8000 remote has the History button where the 6300 has the "Pre Ch" button:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Genuine-Samsung-UE46ES6300UXXU-TV-Remote-Control-/280938864612?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item416942dfe4

I haven't played with it much, but I think it just goes to the Previous Channel on the current tuner. e.g. I don't think if you change tuner, then press "Pre Ch" that it will switch back tuners. I'll try tonight.

I can't remember if when you press it twice it just toggles between previous and next (i.e. back again), or whether it keeps going back through a list of previous channels.

Has anyone tried the Samsung remote control app for smartphones? Does that have any extra features that would help here?

OK, so now I'm home I realise the 6300 remote actually has a useless "Family Story" button where History is for 8000 owners. Some Internet thing?

The "Pre Ch" button is up near the number pad, and as I suspected just toggles between the previous and current channel on the current tuner. As soon as you switch tuners, the memory is reset until you change channels on that tuner.

I tried the smartphone Remote Control app and while it depicts some interesting sounding alternative "buttons", anything that's not on the standard remote seems to pop up "Not available" on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CWest

The information from fellow posters clinched it and I bought one of these TV's a couple of weeks ago. So I'll post my own answers to the questions - and afew other bits and pieces of detail too.

First by way of backdrop... my setup is using the following...
    Aerials: Satellite (Freesat) + UHF Aerial (for Saorview)
    Other sources: Philips DVD + WiFi connectivity to my PC (which is running Allshare for playing video files) + HDD added to the TV
    I set the TV with a UK postcode and also confirm this gives full Freesat (i.e. with the advantages over FTA)

1. TV as a PVR
    I have 500Gb Lacie Rikiki TV HDD installed (this is very neat, no extra power supply and connects very neatly to the back of the drive.) This is very queit (almost silent), draws all its power from the TV USB port (i.e. the only cable going into the HDD box is the USB cable).
    - Yes, you can set recording schedules just at the press of button when browsing the EPG.
    - If the show is part of a series you can opt to record the series or just that episode
    - Don't know yet if it is clever enough to move the recording slot if the schedule for the programme changes week to week?? (hoping this may be possible since it appears to be driven from the EPG)
    - Yes, you can watch Terrestrial whilst recording with the other (satellite) tuner - and vice versa?

2. Playback of video files
    My experience is very good when playing back video files and I can confirm first hand for the following formats: AVI, MKV, TS, MP4
    Only format that hasn't played for me are old WMV files - which to be honest is a format I haven't seen in several years.

3. Any downside (re. ireland) when setup for Freesat (with UK postcode)?
    Only downsides I've seen of telling the TV that it is in the UK are:
    1) Saorview channels need to be ordered (a 5min one off job - as detailed elsewhere in this thread)
    2) The "Freeview" logo appears on the Saorview EPG (and yes you get get the full Saorview EPG, Teletext, etc.)

The RTE Player App. runs very well - and actually encourages me to use RTE Player (the Samsung app on the TV is better than the web version of Player from a PC).

4. WiFi performance
    I've played HD MKV video files over Wifi from my PC without any issue.
    Only thing to be aware of is that WiFi bandwidth is finite - no problem playing HD video but when I also threw a 1Mb/sec file copy over the network for other unrelated reasons then the video needed to buffer every few minutes. Nothing to do with the TV - just a limitation of WiFi - but simple to avoid!

5. Other....
    Keyboards & Mice...
    I've had a brief attempt to setup a keyboard and mouse with the smart TV. I've tried a standard PC wireless pointer and that works fine - so I'm going to consider buying a standard wireless PC keyboard.

Controls and Network Sharing...
    I already had a UPnP device running (to play music files from my PC on the HiFi) and the Samsung network sharing is all based on UPnP. AllShare is the software they provide but I have also used Windows Media Player with sharing enabled and the TV picks that up too. Similarly my old Nokia E51 has a UPnP app. on it and that will allow me to browse my media library on my PC and then play it on the TV (using the phone to search the media library, play/pause/stop and control volume levels).

Overall I can't find fault with the capabilities and features of the TV and I'm very pleased with it.

Hope this helps.
    CW

CWest wrote: »
    - Don't know yet if it is clever enough to move the recording slot if the schedule for the programme changes week to week?? (hoping this may be possible since it appears to be driven from the EPG)

I'm not 100% sure about this either, but it looks likely it will work. e.g. I've noticed that if you're watching another channel, about 10 mins before a scheduled recording starts, it asks if you want to switch to that channel early in order to check if the schedule has changed. So that bodes well for how "clever" the PVR functionality is.

Overall, I've been quite impressed with the recording features so far, albeit within the limitations imposed by only having one sat feed.
    - Yes, you can watch Terrestrial whilst recording with the other (satellite) tuner - and vice versa?

Oh really? How do you do that?
    I don't have an aerial feed for Saorview, just a co-ax cable from the Sky box in another room plus the sat cable. So to switch between them, I need to press "Ch List", then "Red" to switch between Freesat and Air. That's the same for you switching between Freesat and Saorview, right?

However, when a recording is happening the "Red" option is missing when in "Ch List". And if I'm watching Air (the Sky co-ax feed) and a scheduled recording is coming up, it seems to want to switch to Freesat. I haven't tried stopping it do that yet, for fear of messing up my recording.

One more question - is there an easy way to get to the list of recorded programs? The only way I've found is as follows:

- Press "Guide"
    - Select "All Channels"
    - Select "Sche. Mgr" (red button)
    - Cursor down to select the recorded programs list
    - Wait 2 or 3 seconds for index to load
    - Select program to watch

A bit laborious....

Gwynston is quite correct - I've gone back and double checked myself and I must correct my post.

When recording - just like Gwynston says - the option to switch aerials is removed. So you cannot, say, watch BBC1 whilst recording RTE2.

What you can do however is...
    When recording 1 Saorview channel you can switch to watch any other Saorview channel. BUT ONLY when using the Saorview/Terrestrial Aerial
    (and I had experienced this and then incorrectly thought this applied for all channels)

What the TV doesn't do...
    I cannot switch to watch a Freesat channel whilst recording Saorview.
    Also when I'm recording a Freesat channel I cannot switch to watch a different Freesat channel.

So the answer to my original question re. recording 1 channel and watching another channel is actually not a simple yes or no!!

CW

To answer Gwynston's 2nd question.
    One more question - is there an easy way to get to the list of recorded programs? The only way I've found is as follows:

- Press "Guide"
    - Select "All Channels"
    - Select "Sche. Mgr" (red button)
    - Cursor down to select the recorded programs list
    - Wait 2 or 3 seconds for index to load
    - Select program to watch

A bit laborious....

I'm using a different route to gain access to recorded programmes as follows:

Option 1 -
    -use "source" on the remote to select the HDD,
    this will bring you straight to that device and list all TV recordings on it.

Option 2 -
    Another option is using the AllShare menu within the Smart Menu to see all my "files" - (this option is more relevant when I'm browsing between my library of files, someone of which are on the PC, some the HDD and others potentially on a USB key)
    - goto the Smart Menu
    - then Select AllShare
    - the "recorded TV" option provides access to the library of recorded TV programs

Hope this helps
    CW

Also when I'm recording a Freesat channel I cannot switch to watch a different Freesat channel.

I think this is actually possible, but ONLY for channels on the same satellite transponder as the one you're watching. When you press "Ch List" while a recording is happening, you'll see most of the channels in a darker colour, which if you select will prompt a warning that doing so will stop the current recording. However, there might be some channels still showing in the usual brighter colour which are on the same transponder, so can be watched without affecting the recording.

In practice, the choice is limited - I think I remember seeing when recording ITV1 that ITV2 might have been the only other channel available on that transponder. But it's good to know that with Saorview (I've yet to set it up as I don't have an aerial) you can record one channel while watching the other.

And I've also found a quicker way to get to the saved programs. Just press Smart, and there's an icon there for direct access to the scheduler!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In practice, the choice is limited - I think I remember seeing when recording ITV1 that ITV2 might have been the only other channel available on that transponder. But it's good to know that with Saorview (I've yet to set it up as I don't have an aerial) you can record one channel while watching the other.

The tuner will show what is on one mux ..... so if Saorview ever starts up the second mux you will have the same limitation as with the Sat transponder.

I reckon any proper PVR approved device will need two tuners for both Sat & DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

The 6800 TV has recent history according to the samsung spec (see under smart content). It also has a different remote to the 6300. Though the 6800 model costs around €150 more than the 6300.

Teletext:
    Does teletext still work for the Irish channels when you have the tv set to UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 rleahy

What the TV doesn't do...
    I cannot switch to watch a Freesat channel whilst recording Saorview.

So the answer to my original question re. recording 1 channel and watching another channel is actually not a simple yes or no!!

CW

I am thinking of getting one of these TV's but want to be able to watch any other programme while recording any programme - if I connect a combi box like the Triax TR 114, I would have 2*sattelite and 2*DTT tuners can anyone speculate as to whether this would this work or not?

Advertisement