Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPV Recommendations

• 29-07-2012 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

Looking to watch some good PPVs!

Can anyone suggest some to watch but not in the last 5 years? Don't mind how far back it is and willing to watch WCW or EcW..

Comments

Wrestlemania 17
    Summerslam 2002
    Backlash 2000
    IYH 16 Canadian stampede

ECW heatwave 98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Unforgiven 2006
    No Way Out 2006
    No Way Out 2001
    SummerSlam 2002
    WM 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Royal Rumble 92
    Summerslam 92
    Summerslam 98
    Wrestlemania X7
    Fully Loaded 2000
    No Mercy 2001
    Royal Rumble 2002
    Vengeance 2002
    No Mercy 2002
    Backlash 2003
    Vengeance 2005
    One Night Stand 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

SummerSlam 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Survivor Series 1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Wrestlemania 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Wrestlemania 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wrestlemania 17
    Summerslam 2002
    Backlash 2000
    IYH 16 Canadian stampede

ECW heatwave 98

All epic choices here from Cactus.

Wrestlemania 17- Generally regarded as the best PPV of all time from WWF/E. Features The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin, TLC II and HHH vs Taker in a brawl.

Summerslam 2002- Scorcher of an event. Opens with an absolute belter in Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio. Ends with Brock vs Rock, a barnburner with amazing hype vignettes and a big fight feel. Also has the famous unsanctioned street fight pitting Triple H against Shawn Michaels (HBK's first match in 4 years).

Heatwave 1998- My favourite ECW PPV. Has a little of everything. RVD and Sabu take on the Japanese duo of Hayabusa and Shinsaki in a thrilling tag team scrap. Masato Tanaka and Mike Awesome cement their series on this card. Taz vs Bam Bam Bigelow for the TV Title is an all out war and features a crazy spot that you need to see to believe. Its all rounded out with an insane Dudleyville Street Fight to close the Show.

IYH Canadian Stampede- One of the hottest main events you'll see. An absolutely bonkers Canadian crowd are riled up as the Hart Foundation take on Steve Austin and Co. in a thrilling encounter.

Of those, I'd probably go with Canadian Stampede. That main event is just great, for sheer star power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lads list threads are pretty useless - sell people on the PPVs you're recommending, i.e. why you think it's a great PPV, like Omackeral & Stereomaniac :) even just write the best matches on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

ECW One Night Stand 2005 has the perfect mix. Every match is good, Awesome/Tanaka is a hardcore classic with some brutal chairshots you won't see again, great shoot angle from Heyman, entertaining main event and a crazy angle.

Or IYH: Canadian Stampede. Only 4 matches but all excellent quality, including a superb lightweight match. Fun opener, good heavyweight bout and excellent (very original) 10 man tag main event with Steve Austin at his best.

Backlash 2007: Honestly not a bad match on the card.

SummerSlam 2002: Very, very strong match card that did not disappoint.

Vengeance 2005: A great Angle/HBK match to go with Cena/Jericho/Christian and Batista/HHH. Not to mention a what I remember to be a better Carlito match in Carlito/Benjamin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just watched Invasion from 2001 over the weekend. Fun ppv with some good wrestling on show. You'll find it on youtube in its entirety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

This Tuesday in Texas (Dec '91)

Brett Hart Vs Skinner for the IC Title
    Savage vs Jake The Snake
    Davey Boy Vs The Warlord
    Ted Dibiase & Repo Man Vs Tito Santana & Virgil
    Taker Vs Hogan for the WWF Title

quality over quantity

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

.I agree wholeheartedly with ECW One Night Stand 2005, the Tanaka v Awesome match was great, even considering how hostile the crowd (and even the commentators) felt towards Awesome, he put up a great match.

The RVD shoot was good too, and Paul Heyman coming out to thank everyone was a nice bit too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Brett Hart Vs Skinner for the IC Title

How was Skinner in-ring? Or did Bret have to carry the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Anyone recommend some older wwf/ wcw ppv's.....attitude mode in wwe 13 has me all nostalgic that 'ive been craving more....any good shout outs? most of my collection is from 02 on-wards with a few older ppvs in between. anywhere from 88 to 01 that are'nt mania's would be appreciated!

Some favourites of mine would be the 94, 97(max mini!) and 99 Rumbles. Always loved rumbles for the sheer amount of characters, really does give a good grasp of what wrestling is about! Backlash 2000 i remember as being particularly good....Austin blowing up the dx bus on the smackdown prior to that.

Any others people would like to give a shout out to and recommend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

rovert wrote: »

and i even posted in it, completely forgot thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Sirsok wrote: »
    and i even posted in it

No worries. Fortunately/unfortunately it covers everything I would suggest.

Playing the game I was thinking about compiling all the matches in Attitude mode and making a thread about it.

rovert wrote: »
    No worries. Fortunately/unfortunately it covers everything I would suggest.

Playing the game I was thinking about compiling all the matches in Attitude mode and making a thread about it.

Thought I posted in it, I actually just remember reading it.

Go for it man....would love to have all these ppvs to watch myself. Watching the old ppvs and hearing the pops for midcarders and jobbers is unreal. the fans cared about every wrestlers from al snow to austin. pops like they recieved back then are only given to the top guys these days if even!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think Brock's return was the only real "attitudinal" pop this year, and maybe Taker's kicking out of the SCM/Pedigree combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

It isn't spoken about much but I loved Vengeance 2003. One of my top 5 PPV's ever.

Without giving too much away about the ppv; excellent Guererro/Benoit match went 20 minutes to start the show; Jamie Noble hilariously won the right to sleep with Torrie Wilson; Bar room brawl match nothing special but it was fine for the 5 minutes it was given; incredible tag-team match between Benjamin/Haas vs Mysterio/Kidman, 15 minutes wasn't enough for that match. A hilarious Vinnie Mac versus the one legged Zak Gowen where Gowen's spots were actually really good and Vince sold very well, a fun cat fight between Stephanie and Sable (setting up their husbands match at Summerslam 9 years later :D).

Undertaker vs heel John Cena which showed some epic heel Cena promos and vignettes in the preview video before the match which I had to rewind and watch again because it's hard to imagine the comparison to today's Cena. Main event was amazing too - Angle/Lesnar/Big Show - but perhaps didn't need Big Show.

This show was the perfect mix of good wrestling, funny spots, and just all round entertainment from start to finish. And even more incredible is the fact that it was a Smackdown only PPV, so really only half of WWE's roster.

To the best of my knowledge I don't think Pollock and Ting have reviewed this PPV yet so maybe I'll suggest it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

So now that I've signed up for The Network this thread now becomes very handy.

If anyone has anymore then add them in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

People criticize WrestleMania 16 but I watched it back there for the first time since it aired. No great wrestling, but it's a really fun PPV to watch. It consisted of lots of guys early in their career having their first WrestleMania. I agree the booking of the main event was a bit silly, but the match itself is actually really good, and exciting to watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Uncensored 1996. It's all kinds of lols and bants and makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Armageddon 1999 - Vince vs. Triple H is epic.

WrestleMania III. I recently watched it again, for the first time in a couple of years. The grandaddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

One Night Stand 2005, great show from top to bottom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Some WcW shows:

Great American Bash 89: Flair vs Funk is an all time classic. Lex Luger vs Steamboat is very good, arguably Luger's best match. Sting vs the Great Muta is also excellent.

Superbrawl 92: Liger vs Pillman is OUTSTANDING. It was almost a Savage v Steamboat style match, very ahead of its time, Austin/Zybszko vs Rhodes/Windham, Anderson/Eaton vs the Steiner Brothers, Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat. Just very solid wrestling all through.

Wrestlewar 92: Wargames match, one of the best WcW matches ever.

Spring Stampede 94: Flair vs Steamboat, Nasty Boys vs Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne is AWESOME. Sting vs Rick Rude, Austin vs Muta are good matches too.

Great American Bash 96: Rey vs Malenko, Kevin Suillivan vs Benoit, Sting vs Regal, the Outsiders angle with Bischoff. Very solid show.

Spring Stampede 99: Probably WcWs last great PPV: Juventud Guerrera vs. Blitzkrieg, Benoit/Malenko vs Saturn/Raven was great, Mysterio vs Kidman and Booker T vs Steiner were solid also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

No Way Out 2006 mainly for Kurt v Taker.

Advertisement