Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws on salmon fishing. Is this a loop hole

Options
  • 29-07-2012 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

A friend of mine has been telling me that his cousin was caught by a baillif fishing with a bow and arrow and when he was caught, he was bringing in a salmon. The guy in question went to court and the judge threw it out because it isnt in the law that you cant take salmon from a river with one of these. Im calling this BS but this guy isnt one for telling stories so im just curious to know would this be true or not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

Just waiting for an avalanche of fish puns to follow.......

I'll get it started. Sounds like your friend is talking a load of Pollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭keyser2012

antoswords wrote: »
    Just waiting for an avalanche of fish puns to follow.......

I'll get it started. Sounds like your friend is talking a load of Pollocks.

LOL, good one,lol. He also said it was in the local paper so hes going to try and find a link for me so i can read it, ill post here when i get it

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

sounds a bit fishy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did he tell the Trout, the whole Trout and nothing but the Trout?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line (Control of Fishing for Coarse Fish in Fresh Water Bye-law No. 595, 1977.).

Bye-law title refers to coarse fish but this bye-law applies to fishing for all fish in fresh water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Its a cock and bull story.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Was it IFI that took him to court or a waterkeeper from the local club ? If it was IFI they should have had the fisheries inspector present and he should have know this bye law and pointed it out to the solicitor/barrister so that he could point it out to the judge. In fact, when the case was brought before the judge the prosecution documents should have quoted the act or bye laws that were broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

jkchambers wrote: »
    If it was IFI they should have had the fisheries inspector present and he should have know this bye law and pointed it out to the solicitor/barrister so that he could point it out to the judge.

It doesn't work like this at all.
    When a decision is made to persue a case, typically the case would be put to the solicitor well in advance of the court hearing, by the Insp/Fishery Officer.
    The defendant would be charged with the offence/s long before arriving up the steps!

Zzippy is correct to point out Bye law No. 595, 1977.
    However there are many reasons why a case can be thrown out of court, so such a case could have be thrown out but not for the reason given by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Bizzum wrote: »
    It doesn't work like this at all.
    When a decision is made to persue a case, typically the case would be put to the solicitor well in advance of the court hearing, by the Insp/Fishery Officer.
    The defendant would be charged with the offence/s long before arriving up the steps!

Zzippy is correct to point out Bye law No. 595, 1977.
    However there are many reasons why a case can be thrown out of court, so such a case could have be thrown out but not for the reason given by the OP.
    I did point out in the second half of my post that the law that was broken would have been in the prosecution documents. These would include the summons issued to the defendant. I agree that there must be more to this case. I will make some calls to see whether this case was actually taken by IFI.

Advertisement