Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety of euro shop Products

Options
  • 29-07-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Hi,I was looking at handwash etc in the euro shops and there seems to be good bargains.However i dont want to be buying anti bacterial soap to use after ive prepared raw meat if its not genuinely anti bacterial soap as this could be dangerous.

Obvioulsy it states on the container that it is but just waqnt to be sure?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Talk about a random thread. What particular product are you looking at anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

To be honest, for cleaning your hands in a kitchen environment regular soap is more than enough.

But generally speaking anything that contains alcohol or triclosan would qualify as an "antibacterial" soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Bit of fairy liquid - it's very possible to be too clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm205999.htm
    What is known about the safety of triclosan?

Triclosan is not currently known to be hazardous to humans. But several scientific studies have come out since the last time FDA reviewed this ingredient that merit further review.
    Animal studies have shown that triclosan alters hormone regulation. However, data showing effects in animals don’t always predict effects in humans. Other studies in bacteria have raised the possibility that triclosan contributes to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics.
    In light of these studies, FDA is engaged in an ongoing scientific and regulatory review of this ingredient. FDA does not have sufficient safety evidence to recommend changing consumer use of products that contain triclosan at this time.
    Triclosan is a common antimicrobial agent that accumulates in our bodies and has been linked to hormone disruption and the emergence of bacteria resistant to antibiotics and antibacterial products. Along with its negative health effects, triclosan also impacts the environment, ending up in lakes, rivers and other water sources, where it is toxic to aquatic life.

I'd lick the raw chicken instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

I thought your name was offensive until i took a second look at it lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I did a food safety course - the worst thing you can have in a kitchen? A cloth - nasty nasty things.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Having worked in purchasing for a discount retail chain, it was our policy to only buy products fit for use in Europe. That means it has passed all regulatory safety tests. Check the product for an EU address. Once thats there you're safe enough. On a side, there seems to be some snobbery about products in discounts store, some people believe products are not genuine. What is normally the case is that the product will have come directly from the manufacturer, they need to clear stock so will reduce it and will onlly sell it to the discount market so as to protect the 'larger' retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

cost of manufacture for anti-bacterial liquid = pennies
    cost of marketing the highly branded brand, to have merchandisers on the road, to have an office of support people = a fortune.

Sometimes unbranded does the same job as branded, just without the add on costs.

BTW - a product cannot claim something that cannot be backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement